News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RAQ?

Started by AfterMidnight, October 02, 2007, 09:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Casey Lenahan

theres was 107 people at the raq show i just went to.
I owe Aug $20

edemille

I don't want to come off as a hater...I've only seen them once.  At Berkfest 2001 I believe...they were playing the small side stage next to the hillside...it seemed like a frankenstein of phish jams...I remember distinctly thinking, wow this is like a little mash-up of an uncle penn's jam with a bit of fluffhead thrown in...and then there was a VERY distinct maze jam...to be fair I was just starting to spin a bit and needed to get out of there and walk for a bit...I def. had fun and danced, but I felt like I was seeing a different kind of cover/tribute band...I'd check them out again if they were in Providence.

messengerbird

Left after the 1st set
Central part of town, I'm going down

Quote from: Phishy69 on January 05, 2010, 11:12:04 PM
A match made in Gamehenge  :-D

Caravan2001

Quote from: edemille on October 03, 2007, 04:19:10 PM
I don't want to come off as a hater...I've only seen them once.  At Berkfest 2001 I believe...they were playing the small side stage next to the hillside...it seemed like a frankenstein of phish jams...I remember distinctly thinking, wow this is like a little mash-up of an uncle penn's jam with a bit of fluffhead thrown in...and then there was a VERY distinct maze jam...to be fair I was just starting to spin a bit and needed to get out of there and walk for a bit...I def. had fun and danced, but I felt like I was seeing a different kind of cover/tribute band...I'd check them out again if they were in Providence.

Back then that's what I though too.  When I went to their early shows (they started in 2000 as Shadraq) I went because I have been friends with Jay for a long time.  I would go and it would be like, oh, this is their down with disease jam song, or oh , this is their Llama type song.  It was really Phish-like, so  I wasn't into at all.  But I kept going, and after they switched keyboard players (01 or 02) they just took a huge leap.  Plus Chris stopped playing exactly like Trey.  I mean when Phish was playing Eyes of the World and Scarlet->Fire in '85, a lot of people probably felt the same way.  but you have to start somewhere and grow from there, and they have.  I am not a huge fan of their studio output, but live, they bring it.

nab

None of their albums are available here.

Wolfmansbabymama

I like some of their covers:

Carolina Hardcore Ecstacy
Cult of Personality
Jump
some ZZ Top

i know what you mean by similar Phish jams. seems like a tinge of Prog through heavy synthesizer has altered that association slightly. (to me)
Quote from: phan003 on April 18, 2007, 07:40:22 PM
Band Bashing and owning is a 5 step process.

sophist

Quote from: nab on October 04, 2007, 12:20:08 AM
None of their albums are available here.
they have one on itunes. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

AfterMidnight

RAQ was sick last night. I might not even mind doing a string of shows with them. Anyone going to the vegas show tonight? wish i was...

AfterMidnight

do kids tour with these guys at all?

Caravan2001

Quote from: MarkDavidson on October 07, 2007, 03:03:32 PM

not full on, but back east, people do strings of shows.  Plus people travel for their NYE and summer fest gigs....I am sure some people will be tarvelling to Halloween gig in Ashville

newplanet7

I don't dig them but if you do they have a couple hundred shows for download here:
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20creator%3A%22Raq%22

-t
Quote from: phan003 on June 16, 2007, 01:41:44 PM
Funny would be applying super glue to your nuts and putting said nuts on her face.  Talk about "seeing the light" and remaining faithful to the indigo girls manifesto.  :wink: 

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 16, 2007, 10:33:26 PM
There's more airbrush on that shot than on a Peterbilt with a flame job.
:lol:

"Gus Johnson Got the key"

keeb333

Saw Raq for the first time NYE in Knoxville.........

WOW!  I was really blown away...they played 3 full sets (almost four hours), and I think they only played 2 covers that whole time...When they broke out Tennessee Jed, the whole crowd was singing along.  They also played an interesting version of Billy Jean.

I think that they have developed their own sound, as they were not coming off as very "Phishy" to me...they were ragin' heavy and funkadelic...It was probably the best $20 show I've ever seen (I'm too young to have seen Phish that cheaply!)

I would certainly check them out again, and maybe would even drive a couple or three hours to do it!

Caravan2001

nice....wish I was closer to TN, and was rich and didn't have a baby...then I would have gone for sure....glad it was good....how many people were there?

Casey Lenahan

Quote from: MarkDavidson on October 07, 2007, 03:03:32 PM

My Buddie is about to go on tour with these guys, but only like 4/5 shows
I owe Aug $20

keeb333

Quote from: caravan2001 on January 03, 2008, 09:44:42 PM
nice....wish I was closer to TN, and was rich and didn't have a baby...then I would have gone for sure....glad it was good....how many people were there?

Ya, this was probably the first time in the last 10 years that my wife and I have gone out for NYE (due to kids and $$)...We were lucky to have an good, inexpensive show dropped at our doorstep! (They played the 30th too, but we could only do one show)

The place was not sold out, there were maybe 300-500 people there, but they all seemed to be loving it...We talked to a lot of people who had traveled from the NE just for the 2 days of Raq.