News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2011-07- 01 > 2011-07-03 Superball IX

Started by mattstick, March 31, 2011, 02:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Basically, at this point -- if they throw down a 30 min jam, people are going to freak out no matter how good it is.
Bring in the dude!

runawayjimbo

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 29, 2011, 03:03:03 PM
Basically, at this point -- if they throw down a 30 min jam, people are going to freak out no matter how good it is.

Camden Sand?

:ducks:
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

danje

That would be the best marketing strategy they have at this point.

mbw

Quote from: danje on April 29, 2011, 03:10:10 PM

:clap:

WhatstheUse?

So true.
Bring in the dude!

McGrupp

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 29, 2011, 03:14:10 PM

So true.

For nerdy fans and stat geeks like us, yes...

For the casual phan going to the show with his girlfriend "because phish is in town"? I don't think he'd care that much.

Let's not forget that the paug isn't an accurate sample of the phish population. Lots of fans just want to go and drink beer and rock out to Character Zero and see the white lights flare up during a rawk peak. Trey gets off on that, and it seems pretty profitable.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

WhatstheUse?

If they started jamming more I'm sure ticket sales would increase.

and far more importantly, I'm sure RJ's hype meter would increase.
Bring in the dude!

Hicks

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 29, 2011, 03:39:15 PM

Do you mean Rowjimmy or Runawayjimbo's?     :laugh:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VA $l!m

Quote from: McGrupp on April 29, 2011, 03:35:29 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 29, 2011, 03:14:10 PM

So true.

For nerdy fans and stat geeks like us, yes...

For the casual phan going to the show with his girlfriend "because phish is in town"? I don't think he'd care that much.

Let's not forget that the paug isn't an accurate sample of the phish population. Lots of fans just want to go and drink beer and rock out to Character Zero and see the white lights flare up during a rawk peak. Trey gets off on that, and it seems pretty profitable.
[/b]

its funny, even tho i totally agree with this point, at the same time back in the heyday i woulda never said this was true. honestly when the band was selling out shows between 95>00 i never thought of the crowd as "less than heady". it seemed a pretty big cult thing at the time, imo. not so much a 'dave matthews thing'. i could be wrong, but... its almost like theyve managed to garner some nostalgia type fans that werent reallt phans to begin with. like: "hey lets go see phish and do whippets and smoke some pot and eat some X like that ONE time back when we were CRAZY"...lol, really? i really wish phish would just take a serious LEFT TURN and deal with any loss of finance just to make some sort of artistic statement. tho, at the same time, i never really viewed phish as THAT type of band... ::ducks::
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

McGrupp

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 29, 2011, 03:39:15 PM

That's what i'm saying - ticket sales would definitely increase for people like us. But not all phish fans are like us!

But it's very tough to say. I certainly don't know, I'm just speculating.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Hicks

I dunno there may be more people out there waiting for the return of IT than we think.
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

McGrupp

Quote from: Hicks on April 29, 2011, 04:01:57 PM
I dunno there may be more people out there waiting for the return of IT than we think.

I'm starting to feel like i'm echoing thatfargone here, but i'll say it anyway: I think that if more people cared about the quality of the band's music, the band would be forced to push themselves and not be so complacent.

And i'm not talking about "us", i'm talking about your average phan who just shows up to the show and gets wasted, rocks out to tweezer reprise and holds his beer up in the air during waste.

I feel bad making such a "hettier than thou" comment, but you can't overlook the fact that we are very obsessed and nerdy fans and we care a lot about the music. Not, perhaps, more than the majority of the fanbase, but definitely more than a lot of it.

One of the reasons I think phish used to be so much better back in the 90's is because so many more people toured with the band and saw them every single night. That's not to say that everyone did that, but certainly more people back then. When you're seeing a band every night, you're going to expect more out of them, and the band knows it too. When you're just seeing them "because they're in town", it doesn't really matter what the band plays. They will go to the show and get drunk with their girlfriend and have a blast, regardless of whether or not it was a shitty show.

Hicks

Quote from: McGrupp on April 29, 2011, 04:08:25 PM

I'm starting to feel like i'm echoing thatfargone here, but i'll say it anyway: I think that if more people cared about the quality of the band's music, the band would be forced to push themselves and not be so complacent.

And i'm not talking about "us", i'm talking about your average phan who just shows up to the show and gets wasted, rocks out to tweezer reprise and holds his beer up in the air during waste.

I feel bad making such a "hettier than thou" comment, but you can't overlook the fact that we are very obsessed and nerdy fans and we care a lot about the music. Not, perhaps, more than the majority of the fanbase, but definitely more than a lot of it.

One of the reasons I think phish used to be so much better back in the 90's is because so many more people toured with the band and saw them every single night. That's not to say that everyone did that, but certainly more people back then. When you're seeing a band every night, you're going to expect more out of them, and the band knows it too. When you're just seeing them "because they're in town", it doesn't really matter what the band plays. They will go to the show and get drunk with their girlfriend and have a blast, regardless of whether or not it was a shitty show.

I completely agree, and I've actually been saying that for a while, especially in regards to the audience's responsibility to demand more.

But I think that a lot of the true psychedelic warriors aren't even bothering to see the Phish anymore, and if the jams came back maybe they would too.

McGrupp

Quote from: Hicks on April 29, 2011, 04:20:03 PM

I completely agree, and I've actually been saying that for a while, especially in regards to the audience's responsibility to demand more.

But I think that a lot of the true psychedelic warriors aren't even bothering to see the Phish anymore, and if the jams came back maybe they would too.

I think you're probably right about that.

It's funny because all phish needs to do is practice. Trey doesn't need drugs, the audience doesn't really need to care as much as the rest of us (well, they kinda do), the fanbase doesn't need to be younger, the band doesn't need to be younger.

They just need to practice.

sophist

Quote from: Hicks on April 29, 2011, 04:20:03 PM

::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!