News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R13/W05: 02-24-2003 Continential Arena, East Rutherford, NJ

Started by DoW, November 07, 2011, 05:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoW

QuotePHISH
Continential Arena
East Rutherford NJ
2-24-2003

Source: Microtech Gefel 210>Aeta PSP3>SBM1>Sony D8>DAT OTS
Transfer:DAT>Sony R300>Audiophile 24/96>PC>CD Wave>Traders Little Helper>Flac (Level 8)
Taper: Freddie G
Transfered: Freddie G

SET 1

01. Down With Disease
02. Corinne Corrina
03. Wolfmans Brother >
04. Limb By Limb
05. Everyday I Have The Blues *
06. The Thrill Is Gone *
07. Rock Me Baby *

SET 2

08. Halleys Comet >
09. Harry Hood >
10. Heavy Things
11. Twist
12. All Of These Dreams
13. Waves >
14. Sample In A Jar >
15. Chalkdust Torture

ENC:

16. Farmhouse

*with BB King 1st time played

Lossless
Lossy
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

G. Augusto

mattstick

mbw

I think this was the first show i bought from live phish.
i didnt think the bb king was ever going to end, though i really wanted it to.

susep

whatapiper

this was on my short list as well, this show is plain awful.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

DoW

I didn't realize you seeded and uploaded for me too aug.
thanks.  appreciate it.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

G. Augusto

Quote from: bvaz on November 07, 2011, 06:11:05 PM
I didn't realize you seeded and uploaded for me too aug.
thanks.  appreciate it.

Well, it was a new seed.... :wink:
Needed some sort of an excuse to hear this new source.

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: mattstick on November 07, 2011, 11:48:15 AM

Best Disease Ever.

LOL. Knew that was coming.  :-D

Interested to see the reviews on this show. Always thought there were worse than this show on that tour (and I *LUVED* that tour).
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

Bobafett

The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Augustus

This was my first show back after Shoreline '00, so I was pretty pumped and had some good thumbprints tucked away for the occasion.

Disease - You never knew which band would show up on this Tour, but Disease gets pretty hot in a short period of time with some nice exploration, too. Composed sections sound inspired and the jam heats up ~7 minutes in with some tension. They bring it down at 8:30 and mellow it out until they hit the return at 13:30. Not my #1, but one of my favorite "shorter" versions.

Corrinna - Only version of PH. Always kinda liked this one. Trey's vocals sound more inspired than usual, perhaps because he knew BB was waiting in the wings.....

Wolf - Trey starts missing some chords throughout the composed section. Jam was below average.

Limb - Now the set starts to lag a bit. Odd placement after the slow Corrinna and mellow Wolfman's. After this, Trey introduces "A friend on guitar" and I saw Lucille come out from all the way the fuck back of the arena and kinda lost my stuff. My mulZ went from a 3 straight to 11 and I was bugging in anticipation of the epcotness that was about to ensue...

Blues - Phish playing with BB! Stoked! When BB started singing, everyone there got chills. This was magic! If you were not at this show, you were at home eating a FAIL and CHEE sammie. But what is this? Somewhere around 6 minutes in, you've already heard every BB lick and Trey was out of ideas. This is crazy. Not to worry, they'll shut this one down and fire up a new, upbeat tune. Right? Do you know what it's like to be on some super clean stuff and be bored as fuck? Yeah. This lite-wankery went on for 23 fucking minutes. All of BB's hand signals to egg on the crowd couldn't help this shit show. How could BB + Phish be so bad? It was. And it got worse....

Thrill - The Thrill is Gone is such an appropriate song right now. Lite-wankery returns, but only for 18 minutes this time. They had a pulse on the crowd, alright....The song winds down, and BB's gigantic ass is not getting off his stool? Another tune? I've never wanted to punch a blues legend before this sequence of songs.

Rock Me - More like Crack Rock Me, amirite? This needs some life. The coolest part of this 45 minute torture chamber was when Trey stepped up and took a verse. They played more cheesy blues riffs and sucked some more before they all exited the stage together.Just horrible.

Halley's - The band returns to the stage to melt faces as Phish could only do. But instead of pan-searing facial flesh, they continue to bore the crowd to death slowly. After a Reba fakeout, the band plays this and proceeds to continue the mellow jam trend. Mike gets lost for a bit. They hit on a nice shuffle-type groove around 9 minutes in that is very similar to the 02-14-2003 Gin. Then they go back to boring.

Hood - Fine composed sections. Trey hits a handful of harmonics before the jam starts, all of which were in the wrong key. Page gets assertive in the jam to "try" and steer this sinking shit. (intentional)

Heavy - The H set! Seriously! Really loose with an OK solo.

Hwist - Composed sounds all sorts of off. Very slight Oye Como Va tease in the jam. The jam gets dark rather nicely halfway through, actually. Nice modulation into PH meatiness. The jam emerges triumphantly from the space but Page wants to bring it back out there. Really odd HorseForce return to the ending.

Hreams - Was OK.

Haves - I'm a Waves lover. This one was decent. Kinda segues into >

Hample - Winding down the set with some more looseness.

Hhalk - In the rare set 2 closer spot. They bring down the jam and get early on. Gets noisy with some nice tension ~6 in and a good release.

Harmhouse - Not since 07-14-2000 and 1 of only 2 played during PH. Both of which appeared as solo encores. Whatever. It was loose and ragged.

Some nice parts (opening duo and Twist jam) and some steaming shit piles.
I give this a D.

Gundo

A few years back, received a speeding ticket while wondering if Everyday was ever going to end. Twas on my way back to school in the middle of the night, and the fucker got me going 16 over. After it was all said and done, I picked up my headphones and continued the boredom the rest of the way. Disease is killer, but I couldn't ever go back and listen to this show all the way through again.

whatapiper

Set 1

DWD - Extremely high energy to start despite a little sloppiness in the intro.  Mike is on point and things seems poised for a raging opener.   Trey is on fire here pulling out some late 90's licks with virtual ease.   Whoa this is really going somewhere, Page takes a nice lead on the grand before the sound really hits a 99-00 feel with Mike and Trey's playing.   Nice funky breakdown before things then get to familiar PH territory.   Sweet lead back into disease theme, this was top notch.

Carrinna - Sweet, was beautiful, especially after that Disease

Wolfman's - Typical, straightforward funk

Limb - Set beginning to lag here despite my liking of Limb.   Nevertheless, this was played with intensity and purpose.

Everyday I have the Blues - Whoa BB!   I would have been stoked for this!   At the time I had wanted to see BB for years so this would have put me over the top.   Notice how Trey says that BB will play for a couple songs.   Not too much to complain about here as the novelty is still thick in this first song.    After a little bit of soloing from both ends it honestly sounds like there is a point where the band and BB seem to hit a brick wall in terms of ideas.   

The Thrill is Gone - More Blues wankery (used appropriately?) This is where things should heat up but not meant to be.   Sounds like BB could play forever.  At this point I am pretty drained.

Rock Me Baby - wtf another song?  Pretty sure BB did not get the hint and the only way to get him off the stage is to end the set.   He probably would have just sat there otherwise.   No way Trey would tell the legend to get the hell off the stage while they bring the energy back to the house.   Misery at this point.  Sighhhh.

Set II TBC....
beginning to end
we belong

Caravan2001

Worst show I have ever seen besides 8/14/04....10 row center and I could not wait to leave....Luckily, the rest of the shows this week pwned....

whatapiper

Set I

DWD - Extremely high energy to start despite a little sloppiness in the intro.  Mike is on point and things seems poised for a raging opener.   Trey is on fire here pulling out some late 90's licks with virtual ease.   Whoa this is really going somewhere, Page takes a nice lead on the grand before the sound really hits a 99-00 feel with Mike and Trey's playing.   Nice funky breakdown before things then get to familiar PH territory.   Sweet lead back into disease theme, this was top notch.

Carrinna - Sweet, was beautiful, especially after that Disease

Wolfman's - Typical, straightforward funk

Limb - Set beginning to lag here despite my liking of Limb.   Nevertheless, this was played with intensity and purpose.

Everyday I have the Blues - Whoa BB!   I would have been stoked for this!   At the time I had wanted to see BB for years so this would have put me over the top.   Notice how Trey says that BB will play for a couple songs.   Not too much to complain about here as the novelty is still thick in this first song.    After a little bit of soloing from both ends it honestly sounds like there is a point where the band and BB seem to hit a brick wall in terms of ideas.   

The Thrill is Gone - More Blues wankery (used appropriately?) This is where things should heat up but not meant to be.   Sounds like BB could play forever.  At this point I am pretty drained.

Rock Me Baby - wtf another song?  Pretty sure BB did not get the hint and the only way to get him off the stage is to end the set.   He probably would have just sat there otherwise.   No way Trey would tell the legend to get the hell off the stage while they bring the energy back to the house.   Misery at this point.  Sighhhh.

Set II

Haley's - Looking for some redemption after that first set and that Reba would have been nice.    Typical PH jam here with a lot of ideas but not really getting there.   Starts to get dark but never really finds its footing.

Hood - Nice placement and composed seemed to be played with intention with Fish dialed in nicely.  Some odd Trey screech before the jam starts. Nothing to inspiring but things gets to a ripping pace at the end before closing the jam.

Heavy Things - I've never liked this song and this is not the place either way. 

Twist - I'm liking this jam a bit.  Reminds me how PH was at least unpredictable and the boys tried to extend themselves.   Gets real dark while the roof raises and extraterrestrials pour in.   Too bad such a terrible ending

Mountains - Pass

Waves - Still not sure if I like this song or not but it's still beautiful.

Sample - not digging the placement here

Chalkdust - whoa definitely a curve ball here.   Maybe after a raging set but the energy is just not there in the beginning but Trey tries his hardest to whip everyone into a quick frenzy to close this strange set

Farmhouse - Headed out the door

Overall not as bad a show as I remember from my last listen in 03.   Still terrible but the Disease and Twist would make any show now a best ever.   Disjointed to say the least this show lacked any real flow.   Much promise with that Disease opener though and with the exploration in Twist I'll give this one a C-
beginning to end
we belong