News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Some questions about liveness for fellow fans

Started by bobweaver, December 03, 2018, 07:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gundo

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 04, 2018, 08:02:46 PM
Quote from: antelope19 on December 04, 2018, 04:26:24 PM
Quote from: sunrisevt on December 04, 2018, 04:19:57 PM
Don't take it personally—we have a long tradition of hazing here and I'm not one to let tradition be ignored.

This

STFU Neely.

Seriously, STFU.

Also, I got a survey for ya, new guy... right here!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Caravan2001

I plan on attending this conference for sure. Here are some short answers:

1. When engaging in a livephish webcast, or any other (in this case free) streaming service such as mixlr, how do you think of the experience in regard to immediacy, do you feel the event is unfolding as you watch/listen?

I 100% feel the show unfolding as I listen, as long as it is.  If I end up watching on delay (which I don't enjoy), I don't have the same feeling at all.  Sometimes I'll start the stream a little late so I can buzz through the set break, but I really need to be watching it as close to real-time as possible to feel any sense of immediacy/connection to the show.

2. How close do you feel to the music as it unfolds? Do you experience it differently than live, if so, how?

Somewhat close.  While I do feel a sense of immediacy, the feeling is black and white to experiencing it live.  There is no substitute for live music/live setting, even if I am listening on amazing sound system.  I feel like i am experiencing the show to some degree, but it's on an entirely different emotional level than if I am actually in the venue.

3. Do you feel engaged by the music, specifically the improvisations, and does participating in live forum add a dimension of communal experience?

Yes

4. During the show, do you feel as if you are a participant/were there? in what capacity?

Not at all.  Feel more like a fly on the wall.

5. After the show, in what capacity does it feel like you were there? Do you reflect on the show?

I reflect on whether or not it was a good show and whether or not it has replay value.  Unless it was a super heavy/bomb drop show.  Then I reflect on it a bunch and the more I think about it the madder I get that I wasn't there lol. 

anthrax

mopper_smurf

1. No.
2. Entirely different. I am having breakfast while they are playing.
3. Some LST might be happening which helps a bit.
4. If they play well, yes. If they suck, they suck and my mind wanders off to more interesting things like having another coffee, reading the paper and yell at my cat who wants to sit on said paper.
5. Post-show bitching and complaining on the 'paug.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

ytowndan

Quote from: bobweaver on December 03, 2018, 07:22:14 PM
:phish:
I know this could be considered beyond the scope of this forum, but I have a few questions for everyone about their experience/opinion of Phish livecasts. Before I get into the meat of it, a little about myself: I am a dedicated Phish fan of 17 years (I am 32) and a PhD student in the music department of Stony Brook University in Stony Brook, New York. I plan on writing about the phenomena of Phish in my dissertation (from both the music theory and ethnomusicological points of view), but until I get on with that I must finish coursework. With this being said, I am writing a research paper on the changing perception of liveness with the growing popularity livecasting, specifically pertaining to Phish shows. I assume we have all experienced a couch tour or two, or three, or more in our day and have considered our experience of the music as being live-even though it is highly mediated by numerous technologies. To get to my point...I have 5 questions for consideration, and hope to receive your reply. No need to reply to all questions unless you feel up to it, I know this is asking a lot. A huge thank you in advance!
RJ
1. When engaging in a livephish webcast, or any other (in this case free) streaming service such as mixlr, how do you think of the experience in regard to immediacy, do you feel the event is unfolding as you watch/listen?

2. How close do you feel to the music as it unfolds? Do you experience it differently than live, if so, how?

3. Do you feel engaged by the music, specifically the improvisations, and does participating in live forum add a dimension of communal experience?

4. During the show, do you feel as if you are a participant/were there? in what capacity?

5. After the show, in what capacity does it feel like you were there? Do you reflect on the show?

1. Yes

2. I feel very close to the music as it unfolds.  The live stream is, for me, 100% about the music, so I'm very tuned in and paying very close attention, more than if I were there, if only because there are fewer distractions (as awesome, and preferable, as those "distractions" may be  :wink:). 

3. Yes to both.

4. Definitely not like I was there, no.  But depending on how you define "participant," then maybe.  I suppose in some abstract way, pertaining not to the meat world, but only to the ones and zeros of couch tour, I may be persuaded to say that I'm a "part" of it.

5. I do reflect on the show, but it's entirely about the music and/or any visual "gag" (basically anything that transpired on stage). 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.