News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

Quote from: antelope19 on September 09, 2014, 03:52:52 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on September 09, 2014, 03:47:44 PM
Been a month and a day with no cigs.

Still getting my nicotine with an Avail vaporizor, so it hasn't exactly been the toughest thing ever, but it's definitely better than smoking.

This past weekend at Lockn was kind of difficult. There were some moments when I really wanted a cigarette. But I just keep reminding myself how gross they actually are and how much better I feel (being able to breathe deeply is awesome) without them.

That's awesome.  But seriously, more talk about Grace, less about cigarettes.   :wink:

yeah congrats and all that, but this.

kellerb

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on September 09, 2014, 03:56:57 PM
Quote from: antelope19 on September 09, 2014, 03:52:52 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on September 09, 2014, 03:47:44 PM
Been a month and a day with no cigs.

Still getting my nicotine with an Avail vaporizor, so it hasn't exactly been the toughest thing ever, but it's definitely better than smoking.

This past weekend at Lockn was kind of difficult. There were some moments when I really wanted a cigarette. But I just keep reminding myself how gross they actually are and how much better I feel (being able to breathe deeply is awesome) without them.

That's awesome.  But seriously, more talk about Grace, less about cigarettes.   :wink:

yeah congrats and all that, but this.

If she smokes, she pokes

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Buffalo Budd

Sls, any chance  could pick your bran and ask you to weigh on the cons on these vaporizers?
is it a good alternative to smoking or is there just not enough studies to know anything for sure?
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sls.stormyrider

just saw this

I don't think there's enough data to know for sure. There are some studies that say they do help quitting. If you have had trouble with other methods, it's probably worth a try.
as far as long term use, my guess is all bets are off until they have been around longer.
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: slslbs on December 20, 2014, 09:40:25 PM
just saw this

I don't think there's enough data to know for sure. There are some studies that say they do help quitting. If you have had trouble with other methods, it's probably worth a try.
as far as long term use, my guess is all bets are off until they have been around longer.

Thanks sls, I'm not using it for quitting, I was asking due to a bunch of friends moving away from smokes to these.
Then other thing is, they do it inside the house. My dtr goes down to hang out with my friend occasionally and I hope it doesn't affect her (he's not doing it when she's there, but does when she's not around).
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

khalpin

Today is 10 years without a cigarette.

Buffalo Budd

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

emay

PIE-GUY

Longest I've ever gone without smoking was 6 years - currently approaching 5 months and feeling good about it.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

Quote from: khalpin on February 01, 2016, 08:47:41 AM
Today is 10 years without a cigarette.

thats crazy good! congrats brother!
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sls.stormyrider

ytowndan

Bump!  Exactly one year ago today, I smoked my last cigarette and threw away the rest of the pack.

As for the quitting process, it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.  For a few days I had a slight feeling of anxiety, kinda like butterflies, and that was really the extent of it.  You hear horror stories about splitting headaches and raging mood swings, but the worst of it, for me, was on night two when I tossed and turned for a few hours in bed. 

Once I was over the physical addiction, it was just managing the Pavlov Dogs in my head.  I had to keep reminding myself that I didn't actually want to smoke after a meal, but that my brain had been conditioned over the last 15 years to reach for my pack after I ate, or when I got in the car, or poured a beer, etc.  For weeks I would find myself absentmindedly reaching into my pocket in those situations.  I think a lot of people slip up here because they mistake mere mental conditioning for some kind of hidden desire, implying that some part of you deep down enjoys it and wants to keep smoking. Keeping that distinction in mind was key to me. 

Anyhow, this is starting to enter TL;DR territory.  One final thing I'll say is that this book really helped me, particularly when it came to dealing with the mental conditioning and myths we tell ourselves about smoking and quitting.  The title is super gimmicky and sounds like some late night infomercial rip off, but it was a gigantic help for me.  So if you're reading this and maybe you're on the fence about quitting, I'd highly suggest giving the book a try.  It might be the best ten bucks you've ever spent. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Buffalo Budd