News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

24/96 DVD-Audio playback on Sony BDP S-350 Blu-Ray Player

Started by contact420, December 02, 2009, 10:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

contact420

Hi All,

I'm brand new @ the 24/96 DVD audio game. I have a Sony BDP S-350 Blu-Ray Player and an i-Mac computer that's running snow leopard. It's been brought to my attention that there are two different formats for DVD audio and I was told to make sure which format my Blu-Ray player supports. After looking @ the specs of the player online I'm even more confused. Not only that, I was also told that certain Mac DVD audio burning software puts gaps on the DVD's as well. Can someone please help me get this right? Here is the link to the freeware that I'm using and another link to the specs of my blu-ray player. Thank You for your time and effort!!!!

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplaycatalogId=10551&langId=1&productId=8198552921665368427&storeId=10151#specifications
Goin' Where Those Chilly Winds Don't Blow

Marmar

Umm....

There's only ONE format for DVD-A and that's DVD-A......

Anything else is DVD-V being used as an audio track....

Not all DVD players can play DVD-A.

If you do not have this logo then you are shit out of luck for playing DVD-A.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Marmar

Macintosh DVD-Audio authoring software:

* Sonic Solutions DVD Creator AV – The first DVD-Audio authoring solution available. A spin off of the popular high end DVD Video authoring package. It allows DVD-Audio authoring at the command line level only. Still widely used but no longer sold or supported by Sonic Solutions.
    * Sonic Studio SonicStudio HD – Macintosh based tool used for High Density audio mastering and to prepare audio for DVD-A authoring in One Click DVD.
    * Sonic Studio[14]
    * Sonic OneClick DVD – Converts prepared Sonic Studio EDLs into binary MLP files to be used in the authoring tool. Also generates scriptFile information to be added to DVD Creator AV projects.
    * DVD audio Tools: console application dvda-author (version 08.07), see below.
    * Apple Logic Pro 8 - When bouncing, choose "CDDA" under destination, and then choose DVD-A from the popup menu.
    * Minnetonka discWelder Bronze is now available for Macintosh[15]. Very simple to use if you just want to burn your own files to listen to in this format.

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Marmar

Solution.....

Find a cheap DVD player that supports DVD-A and use it only for music....buy a blu-ray and use it for what it is best at, movies....

uglyroomer

I've recently done some 24/96 dvd-a with a free authoring software called DVD-Audiofile.  (free)  (Edit) Then burnt with NERO.  DVD-Audiofile works ok, but I've got a 3 second gap between songs and i hate that for live shows. 

Any suggestions on another pc based free DVD-A software (or under $50)?     

Thanks.  Erik
Jimmy Page's quote:"You think of the drum part that John Bonham did on Led Zeppelin's first track on the first album, 'Good Times Bad Times'. How many drummers in the world can play that part, let alone on Christmas morning?"

Marmar

What's the point?

no need to make DVD-A for 24/96....just do DVD-V's as an audio only track.....join the tracks into one big file (per set) and then mark chapters in the "movie" (track splits) so you can skip songs without gaps....

n00bs....

The only need to make a DVD-A is if you are doing Hi-Rez 5.1 lossless sets encoded in MLP, or for 24/192 2ch mixes.....OR if you want to put a 3 night run on a single disc in CD quality.....

Marmar

And to answer your ?

No software will allow you to go gapless except the ones ya pay for afaik....

No free software supports MLP encoding....

uglyroomer

Jimmy Page's quote:"You think of the drum part that John Bonham did on Led Zeppelin's first track on the first album, 'Good Times Bad Times'. How many drummers in the world can play that part, let alone on Christmas morning?"

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

Marmar

Superfreakie

I have that Bluray player and it does not play DVD-A. None of the sony blurays play them for the reason one of you listed above....
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Marmar

For audio, BD-ROM players are required to support Dolby Digital (AC-3), DTS, and linear PCM. Players may optionally support Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio as well as lossless formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

That means that if you want to use a Blu-Ray for a "DVD-A" you'd need to use the DVD-V trick that you use for folks without DVD-A players....Burn the audio as the soundtrack to a blank picture or slideshow....

contact420

Thanks Guys... DVD-V is my only hope I guess.  :oops:
Goin' Where Those Chilly Winds Don't Blow

Marmar

that's not all bad....if it supports DTS HD then you can get lossless 5.1......