News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R12/W5: 08/06/93 Cincinnati Zoo, Peacock Pav, Cincinnati, OH

Started by justjezmund, July 26, 2011, 05:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justjezmund

GBL=OUT

Im jumping in with some summer 93 love.  Enjoy

Friday, 08/06/1993
Cincinnati Zoo Peacock Pavilion, Cincinnati, OH
Set 1: Split Open and Melt, Poor Heart > The Curtain > Sample in a Jar, Rift, Horn, The Divided Sky, Nellie Kane, Chalk Dust Torture, Suzy Greenberg[1]

Set 2: Buried Alive > Tweezer[1] > Guelah Papyrus[2], The Squirming Coil, Uncle Pen, You Enjoy Myself[1] -> Cocaine Jam -> You Enjoy Myself[3] -> Halley's Comet > Slave to the Traffic Light, Hold Your Head Up > Cracklin' Rosie > Hold Your Head Up, Tweezer Reprise

Encore: Amazing Grace

[1] Tequila tease.
[2] Tequila tease and a Simpsons signal.
[3] Tequila tease; vocal jam was to the tune of Cocaine and included some Tweezer lyrics.
Notes: Suzy Greenberg, Tweezer, Guelah Papyrus, and YEM included Tequila teases; Guelah included a Simpsons signal. The YEM vocal jam was to the tune of Cocaine and included some Tweezer lyrics. Slave was played for the first time since October 24, 1991 (241 shows).

Lossless (wav)
Part 1 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G7VF0FR6
Part 2 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UG0OA6KK

Lossy - http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e64969679d601a07ab1eab3e9fa335cae6746f5d3f187e14

1) August
2) runawayjimbo
3) RJ
4) whatapiper
6) Jezmund
7) bacchist
8) aphineday
9) phil
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

justjezmund

also sorry bout the tracks not being tagged right, but I didnt really have time to work and get it up for all you fine people.  You will all live.

FUCK!!
I just realized that HYHU>ROSIE>HYHU doesnt work on the lossless.  Ill fix it by the end of the night.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

aphineday

If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

justjezmund

Sorry y'all. Just took a look and couldn't find a working file for that hyhu.  Can anyone help anyone who really needs to hear it? :roll:

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

kellerb

Quote from: JustJezmund on July 26, 2011, 07:21:09 PM
Sorry y'all. Just took a look and couldn't find a working file for that hyhu.  Can anyone help anyone who really needs to hear it? :roll:

You can probably just sub in any other one.

khalpin

Quote from: kellerb on July 26, 2011, 08:47:00 PM

You can probably just sub in any other one.
3/6/93...best HYHU evar!!!!   :-D

whatapiper

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

runawayjimbo

I converted to ALAC and it works fine.

justjezmund

Quote8/6/93

Peacock Pav.  Cinci Zoo, Cincinnati, OH

I

Melt - RAWK PEAK OPENER? YES PELASE! 

Poor Heart - KILLER, dead on not missin shit.

Curtain - Keeping things rollin with a tight version sans the WITH.  But no complaints here.

>Sample - Every mark hit beautifully.

Rift - No WITH in the curtain, but ill take the sped up version a song later any day, SOOMUUCHH!

Horn - Stellar.

Divided Sky - I love it when Phish still "got the memo" on this song.  Talk about songs that sail.

Nellie Cane - Moar fun bluegrass.

Chalkdust - Keeping up with the RAWK!!!!

Suzy - Nothing but net rock set.  If I had to piss this first set I would have been pretty much out of luck. 
Anyway, this short Suzy is just straight annihilated but everyone.  Killer first set.

II

Buried Alive - WOOHOO here we go right out the gate. 

> Tweezer - I wish the 12 min tweezers I have been seeing were this awesome.

Guelah - And the one two punches just keep on coming.  Version is nailed, along with the Tequila tease, go and talk about it.

Coil - Pretty standard, but when this song is played well its definitely not a bad thing.

Uncle Pen - Dance all night......

YEM>Cocaine>YEM -  BOOMSAUCE!  Keep the meat coming please.
Halleys - HAYYYOOOOO!  Show really just doesn't stop.

Slave - First slave in 241 shows, and its really great.  Really serene and def one of my fav versions.  Trills at the end by trey give me chills every time.  DOPENESS!

HYHU>Cracklin Rosie>HYHU - Fun

Reprise - Cappin the set.

Amazing Grace - And some acapella to send ya home.

This whole show kicks faces.  The whole show is FIRE and fun all the way through.  Summer 93 FTW!

whatapiper

8/6/93

Set 1:

Split- great opener, Trey flub even in 93, love these early versions, more Trey rage than dark madness 

Poor Heart - yep

Curtain - lovin the placement here. => 

Sample - classic combo and straight Rawk 

Rift - I struggled with Destiny 

Horn - love this song

D sky - wow Mike sounds great in the intro, tight version as they should be 

Nellie kane - fun, a little breather

Chalkdust - more Rawk, short and sweet

Suzy - tequila and Page, the good things in life

beginning to end
we belong

whatapiper

8/6/93

Set 2:

Buried alive - may just be my favorite set opener

Tweezer - great combo, playful from the start.  Playing is loose but tight.   Straight rage and live the slowdown ending complete with Tequila!

Guelah - nice, more tequila! Asse section sounds spot on to me, more tequila and Simpsons before the finish.  Classic

Coil - How it should sound, simply beautiful 

Uncle Penn - yessir, keep this one in the past where it's played correctly

YEM - Tight composed and spacey lead into the jam section.
More tequila!!  Smokin version, summer 93 face melter and!....cocaine! Vocal jam > 

Haleys - sweet lead in from YEM
Having fun then a neat segue > 

Slave - if ever a time was right to pull this off the shelf, here it is.   Definitely practiced, what a concept.  Solid

HYHU > cracklin rosie > HYHU - yay!

Tweeprise - more of that "Rawk" stuff

Encore: Amazing Grace 

Love this second set, it's had plenty of play time from me over the years.  First set I could take it or leave it.  Nice pick JJ

beginning to end
we belong

runawayjimbo

08-06-1993
Cincinnati Zoo Peacock Pavilion
Cincinnati, OH

I

Split Open and Melt - Wow, they just jump right in. A fiery start with a couple minor flubs that are easily overlooked as I'm hanging on every note because they play with such sac. The jam is just perfect with Trey and Fish leading the way. They nail the outro in unison without hesitation. Nasty.

Poor Heart - Great spot for this. Mike & Page both have great solos but goddamn Trey just makes it sound so easy.

The Curtain - They keep the heat on and play pretty much a perfect version. Note to Camden Curtain fluffers: LO-fucking-L. I'd always prefer a With but that shit was hot. Slams right into...

Sample in a Jar - Sounds like people are still getting used to this "newer" song. Trey's solo may not be the sharpest but it's chocked full of freshness.

Rift - Not as tight as I'd expect from a '93 Rift but again, because they are playing with such confidence, you don't have time to get hung up on the misses because you're so focused on what they're doing right now. Trey's little run right after Page's solo ~3:40 is just gross. A great example of how a song could be played imperfectly but still keep the energy way the fuck up.

Horn - I'm reminded why I used to like this song. A couple of minor flubs but they're of the "just missed" variety not the "bring the song to a screaching halt" type. And it keeps the set moving with a sense of direction and purpose.

Divided Sky - FRJP
Quote from: rowjimmy on January 21, 2010, 01:08:24 PM
Memorandum
TO: Young People Who Think 2009 3.0 Phish is the Tits

Subject: Divided Sky

It has come to my attention that some people believe that Phish may have played a version of Divided Sky in 2009 3.0 that is above "passable". Please refrain from stating such foolishness until you have listened to one of many "proper" versions of said song. One exemplary performance worthy of note would be that of July August the Second Sixth from the year, Nineteen Ninety-Four Nineteen Ninety-Three. It has excellent playing on the part of all four band members and energy enough to power Manhattan.

Sincerely,
Reality

Nellie Kane - Love the electric versions. Keeps me moving but allows me to catch my breath at the same time.

Chalk Dust Torture - Straight-forward, kick-you-in-the-nuts rawk. Trey and Fish both shine.

Suzy Greenberg - The Tequilla teases sound so fluid, like they belong rather than just an afterthought jammed in there. They alter the tempos and phrasings nicely to keep it exciting. Of course, Page kills it (shocker).

II

Buried Alive - I could listen to Mike's bassline all day long. Great way to open a set and gives you that "Strap the fuck in, kids" heads up before you get your face melted.

Tweezer - They're clearly having fun now, with everyone getting in on the vocal hijinks. The jam starts ~4:30 and in keeping with the show's theme they waste no time. Trey with a very subtle DEG tease ~6:35 (actually this whole segment has a jammed out DEG feel to it). They move to a new idea ~7:00 and you can really see how Trey's steers the ship. Some great work by Fish towards the end of the jam as it builds up nicely and then winds down into some more Tequila. They went so many places in that jam it's hard to believe it was only 12 mins. Pure '93 awesomeness.

Guelah Papyrus - More Tequila, more originality, pretty flawless Asse Festival, great placement; what else could you ask for?

The Squirming Coil - Ahh, the elusive mid-set Coil. Actually, I don't think this was that rare in '93 but it feels kinda strange to me now (although I do love that "anything can happen" feel it brings). Solid composed sections leading to some beautiful extended Page.

Uncle Pen - Picks things back up nicely to let you know there's plenty left in the tank. Love how clean Trey's licks are throughout this. Great stuff.

You Enjoy Myself - Smokes. More great composed sections followed by still more creative Tequila jamming. ~11:20 Trey starts up the start-stop thing. Love the Trey and Page interplay ~13:10. Is Mike teasing something during B&D? Has a familiar feel but I can't place it. It doesn't last too long though because Trey starts up the Cocaine jam out of the blue. They dip back into the B&D for a minute before hitting up a Cocaine inspired vocal jam (Fish tries to go a little too high a couple of times) with Tweezer lyrics and was that a a Telly Savalas chant? Sickness. Fairly smooth vocal segue into...

Halley's Comet - Short and sweet but super tight and playful (HEY!). Some tasty lines from Mike ~4:45. And just when you think they're gonna rage right into the next song they turn it down and find a really fun, bubbly mini-jam that moves sweetly into...

Slave to the Traffic Light - BUST OUT!!! It sounds like a lot of the crowd doesn't even recognize it it's been so long. See the city see the zoo...I get it! The jam ascends beautifully, complete with Trey fireworks to cap it off.

HYHU > Cracklin' Rosie > HYHU -  Fish has been having a blast all night and he doesn't stop here just because he forgets the words. FASTER FASTER FASTER!!!

Tweezer Reprise - Said it before, say it again: I'd be happy if every show ended with a Reprise. Not many songs can get my bouncing in my chair like Reprise and this one doesn't disappoint.

E

Amazing Grace - Don't love the solo acapella encore but they ran a little late so no worries. Trey's Highway to Hell joke kills and they sing a nice little lullabye for the animals.

It's not hard to see why a lot of people would put August '93 at the top of their favorite era/month/run list. This show flows like butter without a single break in the action. Highlights for me are Curtain, Tweezer, and YEM but there really is great playing throughout, especially the second set. The first set wasn't as flawlessly, uber-tight as much of this era so I have to give it a minor mark but I'd still give it a solid A-. Great pick, JJ.