News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 15, 2024, 01:24:22 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on April 15, 2024, 12:59:41 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 15, 2024, 12:18:22 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 15, 2024, 10:45:19 AMMan, those shows were so awesome. Kind of pivotal for me in bridging the gap between Phish > Dead.

Trey's tone was so buttery for these shows. 99' was peak tone, IMO.

there is no question these shows were my gateway into the dead. 100%.  In fact, Trey's solos in Sugaree made me seek out other Sugarees to compare... which made me listen to other dead which made me a deadhead. This sugaree with Trey and Page is still my favorite of all time. Buttery is a great word for treys tone. And, I'm gonna go ahead and say page is a better keyboard player than any associated with the dead. Period.
Keyboard player, yes. But I think Brent was a better singer than Page.

Dangerous conversation.

It's just the 'paug. We got all the danger you can handle, bro. 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 15, 2024, 10:45:19 AMMan, those shows were so awesome. Kind of pivotal for me in bridging the gap between Phish > Dead.

there is no question these shows were my gateway into the dead. 100%.  In fact, Trey's solos in Sugaree made me seek out other Sugarees to compare... which made me listen to other dead which made me a deadhead. This sugaree with Trey and Page is still my favorite of all time. Buttery is a great word for treys tone. And, I'm gonna go ahead and say page is a better keyboard player than any associated with the dead. Period.

Dangerous conversation.

lol. I was gonna say... wars have been started over less.  :willynilly:
Bring in the dude!

anthrax

I just found my stubs.  Face value was $28.50 and I'm almost positive I saw people offering up $400-$450 outside the show.  There wasn't a ton of ticketless, but those that were there were serious about getting in.  That's 15-16 times face value which makes $1,000 for a night at the Sphere seem like the deal of the century.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 15, 2024, 05:49:18 PM

Dangerous conversation.

lol. I was gonna say... wars have been started over less.  :willynilly:

;D
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VA $l!m

uh, like 30 years ago i saw my 2nd and 3rd phish shows.
4-17-94 pat center funfax va
4-20-94 lexington VA

great shows.
4-17 way better musically for me, but the 4-20 show was a trip
we drove up from richmond . i recall passing balloons from car to car om the highway..
420 show was 420 show.
dave mathews opened.
i grew up with the bass player, so was a big deal them openin for phish in VA even tho i dont really like them, back then it was still cool.

4-17 tho... still love so much of that show, and theres video.
foam, axis.. but the REBA might be my fav early attended jam.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

Quote from: VA $l!m on April 16, 2024, 07:41:49 PMuh, like 30 years ago i saw my 2nd and 3rd phish shows.
4-20-94 lexington VA

great shows.
we drove up from richmond . i recall passing balloons from car to car om the highway..
420 show was 420 show.
dave mathews opened.
i grew up with the bass player, so was a big deal them openin for phish in VA even tho i dont really like them, back then it was still cool.

Pretty sure I sold you that 4-17 ticket a week earlier in the Pat Center parking lot, then walked over to their box office and bought a ticket to see The Band on 4-16-94 in DC.

I do not regret this choice and still have the tape of that Band show.

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 17, 2024, 09:22:55 AM
Quote from: VA $l!m on April 16, 2024, 07:41:49 PMuh, like 30 years ago i saw my 2nd and 3rd phish shows.
4-20-94 lexington VA

great shows.
420 show was 420 show.
dave mathews opened.

Pretty sure I sold you that 4-17 ticket a week earlier in the Pat Center parking lot, then walked over to their box office and bought a ticket to see The Band on 4-16-94 in DC.

funny thing about pat center...
is sorta a meh venue, location-vibe-aesthetic wise... but the sound is pretty solid.
fairly intimate for an arena.

forgot to mention the 420 show also was a dirt floor--  literally a horse venue.
and a very frat boy show.. i cant remember the names of all the schools out there, but its like VMI and  whatever the all girls school is up there.
--the next show i saw was at uva out there in the fall..   western VA college shows both.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

Quote from: VA $l!m on April 17, 2024, 10:02:37 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on April 17, 2024, 09:22:55 AM
4-20-94 lexington VA

great shows.
420 show was 420 show.
dave mathews opened.

funny thing about pat center...
is sorta a meh venue, location-vibe-aesthetic wise... but the sound is pretty solid.
fairly intimate for an arena.

forgot to mention the 420 show also was a dirt floor--  literally a horse venue.
and a very frat boy show.. i cant remember the names of all the schools out there, but its like VMI and  whatever the all girls school is up there.
--the next show i saw was at uva out there in the fall..   western VA college shows both.

Went to the Fall Pat Center show... it was my first.

Back in 2020, we rented a cabin down near Lexington. It was during Covid so we were mostly hiking and stuff. I made sure to drive past that 'venue' and my family was very much not entertained when I excited pointed it out.