News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/07 - Greek Theatre - Berkeley, CA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by blatboom, August 08, 2010, 01:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatapiper

^^^ pie guy, not sure where your spot was but a crew of us got siiick seats page side stage level, what I saw was a prep school hippie sign that Trey shook his head at.

Someone did have a sign with "no more whammy" on one side and "I love you Trey" on the other as pie said.
During Reba, light etc literally when Trey would go into whale the sign guy would wave the "no whammy"
Kinda fuct but hey it may have worked.

Ugh, crazy hung over from too much of everything, driving to telluride!

More on show later

Got some sick pins kicked down, one for each Greek and a Telli.  I'll post photos of these later
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

ph92

Quote from: blatboom on August 08, 2010, 02:29:21 AM
they need to got back to just winging it.
THIS

just play it how they feel. thats probably one of the HUGE roots of the segueing problem
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Multibeast12

Quote from: phishhead92 on August 08, 2010, 12:24:03 PM
Quote from: blatboom on August 08, 2010, 02:29:21 AM
they need to got back to just winging it.
THIS

just play it how they feel. thats probably one of the HUGE roots of the segueing problem
Agreed. It's funny when i saw Furthur like bob and Phil are up there in age and they just nailed every segue. I think with Phish they should just take they're time to get to the next song. And tell Trey not to just decide when to go. To actually work it out.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: art vandelay on August 08, 2010, 11:41:51 AM
light and suzy were the obvious highlights.  best hood id heard in a while.  not sure if there was much of a peak, but there was some very nice interplay during the jam.  i found the "no more whammy please sign" disrespectful, but luckily hood and slave where relatively whale-free.  i also really enjoyed the 2001.  not rushed like almost every 3.0 version has been.  mike went to the footbell quite a few times during this jam, something he only does on special o-motherfucking-cassions.

Well...  here's the thing.  If Trey's playing weren't always out of key, when using the whammy, then yes, the sign would be disrespectful.  It would be like someone holding up a sign in 1997 that says "Please no more funk" or "Where's the guitar solos?", ie: taking an extreme stance to put forth a simple personal taste opinion on something that the band/Trey is personally emotionally involved in, where the band is legit breaking new ground.

BUT....  we've had almost 1.5 years since the reunion.....  almost 70 shows or something.  Thats PLENTY of time to figure it out.  I have to grant Trey, though, that, for the most part, he has figured out some neat uses of it.  However, he's relying on that for the entirety of jams, forcing the music to be fit into that technique framework, rather than going to it when he feels it could really add something unique and new to a jam thats featured him simply stab out individual notes or funk out chords.

BUT, regardless of Horced segues and whammy usage.... you guys have missed the most important thing here:  3 straight shows with multiple 13+ minute jams, and each show had at least  one 15+ minute jam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And not woked out songs, but actual JAMS.  8/5 Disease, Tweezer (close enough), 8/6 RnR, Simple and 8/7 Light, Hood, Slave (all in the same set!).

Add to that the extended Cities, the SuPrizy, not-under-7-minutes 2001...     I think this is the best thing ever. 

The intent is back; they want to jam.  And I think I can see whats going to happen next...............

Setting: Practice room, Telluride

Trey (to Page): Dude, these huge jams have been awesome, but we're getting so into it that they're keeping us from being able to get the whole setlist in...  maybe we should just say fuck it and let it go wherever?

Page:  ::shakes head::     

Fishman (poking his head through the doorway right after Trey finishes): Or maybe you could always just start up Horse and see what happens after that.   :-P

Mike:  I like things that bounce.  We should do those.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

VA $l!m

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 08, 2010, 02:01:58 PM
Quote from: art vandelay on August 08, 2010, 11:41:51 AM
light and suzy were the obvious highlights.  best hood id heard in a while.  not sure if there was much of a peak, but there was some very nice interplay during the jam.  i found the "no more whammy please sign" disrespectful, but luckily hood and slave where relatively whale-free.  i also really enjoyed the 2001.  not rushed like almost every 3.0 version has been.  mike went to the footbell quite a few times during this jam, something he only does on special o-motherfucking-cassions.

Well...  here's the thing.  If Trey's playing weren't always out of key, when using the whammy, then yes, the sign would be disrespectful.  It would be like someone holding up a sign in 1997 that says "Please no more funk" or "Where's the guitar solos?", ie: taking an extreme stance to put forth a simple personal taste opinion on something that the band/Trey is personally emotionally involved in, where the band is legit breaking new ground.

BUT....  we've had almost 1.5 years since the reunion.....  almost 70 shows or something.  Thats PLENTY of time to figure it out.  I have to grant Trey, though, that, for the most part, he has figured out some neat uses of it.  However, he's relying on that for the entirety of jams, forcing the music to be fit into that technique framework, rather than going to it when he feels it could really add something unique and new to a jam thats featured him simply stab out individual notes or funk out chords.

BUT, regardless of Horced segues and whammy usage.... you guys have missed the most important thing here:  3 straight shows with multiple 13+ minute jams, and each show had at least  one 15+ minute jam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And not woked out songs, but actual JAMS.  8/5 Disease, Tweezer (close enough), 8/6 RnR, Simple and 8/7 Light, Hood, Slave (all in the same set!).

Add to that the extended Cities, the SuPrizy, not-under-7-minutes 2001...     I think this is the best thing ever. 

The intent is back; they want to jam.  And I think I can see whats going to happen next...............

Setting: Practice room, Telluride

Trey (to Page): Dude, these huge jams have been awesome, but we're getting so into it that they're keeping us from being able to get the whole setlist in...  maybe we should just say fuck it and let it go wherever?

Page:  ::shakes head::     

Fishman (poking his head through the doorway right after Trey finishes): Or maybe you could always just start up Horse and see what happens after that.   :-P

Mike:  I like things that bounce.  We should do those.
:clap: :wtu:

yeah, fuk "disrespectful". we've kept these guys in serious business for the  last 20 years. i mean, its not like anyone every thought the "turn mike up" signs in the 90s were "disrespectful.
i think that the band shouldnt feel 'disrespected' if the fans are into shit enough to be offering feedback.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

hansokolow

hansokolow

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 08, 2010, 10:35:06 AM
It was a great lizards. Flubs, yes. But Page was on point and Trey got it together toward the end. It was beautiful.

Thank you, pie guy, it *was* beautiful.  It was a fantastic choice of song in that spot, totally unexpected.  Certainly not perfect, but considering they only play it once a year, it was damn good.  More importantly the vibe was maintained.  And yeah, Page killed it.

mbw

Quote from: hansokolow on August 08, 2010, 02:17:49 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on August 08, 2010, 02:00:36 AM
good run.  not sure the greek brought any magic though.

You are an insane person.

there were some good jams, by magic i meant there was nothing out of the ordinary song wise, no GD sit-ins or songs, etc.

eta:  im sure it was a great big party and everyone had a blast and i wish i was there.

hansokolow

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on August 08, 2010, 02:32:33 PM

there were some good jams, by magic i meant there was nothing out of the ordinary song wise, no GD sit-ins or songs, etc.

eta:  im sure it was a great big party and everyone had a blast and i wish i was there.

That's fair.  I felt plenty of Greek magic, but I'll accept that.

hansokolow

Quote from: hansokolow on August 08, 2010, 02:48:42 PM

Also, I didn't realize you weren't there.  I can't say if the magic comes through on tape.

And nobody's mentioned the First Tube.  You won't be able to see it on tape/stream, but Trey was jumping around like a crazy, super-happy person all throughout 1st Tube, and it just sent the crowd into a frenzy.  I mean a tear-the-house-down party.  It really ended this run well.  Also the Slave was just sublime on the new guitar.  Just patience exhibited in this Slave, and yes, this 2001.  Not rushed, jet letting the funk flow.  I do wish the same patience was directed toasted the segues, it's true.

About the setlists, I'm pretty sure they alwas had some sort of setlist plan that was flexible, an from all the communication on stage leading up to the segues (botched or not), it's clear that they were making some of their song choices in the moment.

I have plenty to say about you misguided whale-haters, but for another time.  So I'll simply ask, if you hate blowjobs so much, why do you keep showing up at the blowjob store?

hansokolow

mehead

yup
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

PIE-GUY

Let me add to my already glowing review that the Greek is my new favorite venue. Blows Red Rocks clean out of the water.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

cactusfan

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

yeah, what we really needed was a grateful dead sit in to make some magic.
fucking hilarious!

last night's second set was one of the greatest times i've ever had at a concert.
thank you, phish.

and this:
Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 08, 2010, 03:17:22 PM
Let me add to my already glowing review that the Greek is my new favorite venue. Blows Red Rocks clean out of the water.

ph92

OMG OMG OMG , i just listened to that light, honestly after my big 98 ambient kick a week or so ago, the ambient part of that light almost sounded 98 grade (as far as ambient goes)

that was NASTY, im loving this show, that jam made me totally forget about that really rough "transition"
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH