News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: cactusfan on December 20, 2018, 01:09:01 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on December 18, 2018, 01:46:05 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on December 18, 2018, 12:38:05 PM
Every so often I threaten to read those Hitchhiker's sequels, yet I never get around to it.  Maybe over Christmas I'll finally do it.  It would be a great excuse to re-read the OG.

They're good.
I've read nearly every published word from Douglas Adams and I honestly wouldn't be the same person had I not.

Ditto.

Also, Restaurant is hardly some later 'sequel.' It's the second half of the story begun in Hitchhiker's Guide. They're basically one book. Only with the third book, Life the Universe and Everything, does the story, and writing style, go off in a new direction.

And it's a worthy direction, imo.

ytowndan

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 20, 2018, 09:09:41 AM
Quote from: cactusfan on December 20, 2018, 01:09:01 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on December 18, 2018, 01:46:05 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on December 18, 2018, 12:38:05 PM
Every so often I threaten to read those Hitchhiker's sequels, yet I never get around to it.  Maybe over Christmas I'll finally do it.  It would be a great excuse to re-read the OG.

They're good.
I've read nearly every published word from Douglas Adams and I honestly wouldn't be the same person had I not.

Ditto.

Also, Restaurant is hardly some later 'sequel.' It's the second half of the story begun in Hitchhiker's Guide. They're basically one book. Only with the third book, Life the Universe and Everything, does the story, and writing style, go off in a new direction.

And it's a worthy direction, imo.

You guys have sold me.  I just checked out the ebooks from the library!  :beers:
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

khalpin

Just finished this one today, which is the third in the Broken Earth trilogy.  Really enjoyed the hell out of it.

JPhishman

Just got the whole set for xmas! Stoked!

"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

Hicks

My mother in law got me the Beastie Boys Book.

Of course it rules. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

zimbra

I just finished "The Lunatic Express".  Great book if you haven't read it. Currently reading "Of Human Bondage."
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Multibeast12

Got Springfield Confidential. Fantastic read for any Simpsons lover.

emay

Quote from: Multibeast12 on January 05, 2019, 06:15:08 PM
Got Springfield Confidential. Fantastic read for any Simpsons lover.

Yeah read that a couple months ago, great book. Got me interested in more books on screenwriting and TV production so I picked up The Wire All the Pieces Matter and been making my way through that. Not as well written as the Simpsons book, its more just a collection of interviews with the cast/writers.

mopper_smurf

Just ordered this one. Dirt cheap hardcover edition of All Gates Open: The Story of Can  by Rob Young  and Irmin Schmidt.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mopper_smurf

Bump!

Rob Jovanovic - God Save The Kinks: A Biography

Finally bought this one. Not bad. I will go on record that The Kinks were the second greatest UK band in the Sixties. And no, they are not trailing behind The Beatles or The Rolling Stones.
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Hicks

Quote from: mopper_smurf on September 12, 2019, 10:25:17 AM
Bump!

Finally bought this one. Not bad. I will go on record that The Kinks were the second greatest UK band in the Sixties. And no, they are not trailing behind The Beatles or The Rolling Stones.

Let me guess, you put Hermans Hermits at the top of the heap?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: Hicks on September 12, 2019, 11:56:58 AM
Quote from: mopper_smurf on September 12, 2019, 10:25:17 AM
Bump!

Let me guess, you put Hermans Hermits at the top of the heap?

My big brother played "No Milk Today" ad nauseam after he broke up with the milkman's daughter. It put me off milk and that band for life. Guess again.
Twitter | FB | Instagram

Buffalo Budd

^^^LULZ!!

Half way through this...

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

pcr3

I saw the play in Providence about a month ago, and I needed to read the book that inspired Lin-Manuel Miranda.  So far, it's really interesting, though I'm only about 10% into it...
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3