News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thelot

I think it's safe to say that they're ophishally going through the motions. It's kind of sad...

G. Augusto

Quote from: thelot on August 13, 2010, 08:53:21 PM
I think it's safe to say that they're ophishally going through the motions. It's kind of sad...

Thelot hath spoketh!

whatapiper

Quote from: thelot on August 13, 2010, 08:53:21 PM

Ser? Elaborate
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

redrum

Quote from: whatapiper on August 14, 2010, 01:09:38 AM
Ser? Elaborate

i'll elaborate, ...the motions of being an awesome band.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

thelot

Every show since they've been back has been cookie cutter. Same jam songs light, rock and roll, drowned, disease, tweezer, piper. Song chaser bust-outs throughout. Similar openers night after night. Some great jams since they've been back, but overall nothing that interesting, minus 10 or so. Phan favorite packed setlists. Playing requests?!? I love phish, but this has been on
my mind for a little bit now. I really don't read phish sites anymore other than phishthoughts, so I'm not sure how other people feel about the current state of phish. The dude from phishthoughts is lovin' it! I don't know, just another opinion. I'm really happy they're back, I just wish the creative juices were flowing. :::end rant:::

mehead

Quote from: thelot on August 14, 2010, 07:13:50 AM
Every show since they've been back has been cookie cutter. Same jam songs light, rock and roll, drowned, disease, tweezer, piper. Song chaser bust-outs throughout. Similar openers night after night. Some great jams since they've been back, but overall nothing that interesting, minus 10 or so. Phan favorite packed setlists. Playing requests?!? I love phish, but this has been on
my mind for a little bit now. I really don't read phish sites anymore other than phishthoughts, so I'm not sure how other people feel about the current state of phish. The dude from phishthoughts is lovin' it! I don't know, just another opinion. I'm really happy they're back, I just wish the creative juices were flowing. :::end rant:::

again, please elaborate..what specifically are you looking for?  IMO I don;t give a shit about them playing requests - if someone requests Tube and they play Tube then  :beerbang:
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

whatapiper

This argument will never end I guess.   I've had my ups and downs about the band since they came back, that is until my little Greek> telluride run with the lady.    Ever since my first show in 96 their have been grovels about what the boys are doing, particularly with new material, setlist variation and jamming.   Is it ever perfect?.....for everyone?   
These 5 shows have given me a new appreciation, they are clearly loving it, a sure sign they are not going through the motions, i.e Trey at Coventry may be a better example.    I will elaborate more later, I'm still on the road, now with my son again.   iPhone typing is a major pain!....tbc
beginning to end
we belong

sophist

Quote from: thelot on August 14, 2010, 07:13:50 AM
you're not alone.  I've felt that way as of late.  To me, it's cruise control.  This is a band that can still take the music anywhere, but they don't.  I have argued it's a shift of philosophy, but then the nostalgia of "jamming" once a show is what throws me off.  It's just enough to satisfy most of the fanbase. 

I can't speak for the thelot, but just playing the songs right isn't enough to me.  This was once a band that had balls, and 90% of the time I don't see any balls on them.  The only jam so far this leg that deserves attention is the jam out of Simple from the Greek.  Where the hell is that energy?  Seriously?  To pop out the same jam with Drowned each time is super easy, it's not even improvisation to me.  It's like Cactusfan said, it's part of the song now.  That's going through the motions.  Do you guys not remember that when they used to jam Drowned it actually went to different places?  The same with Tweezer.  With any jam song.  They all have their own little worked out jams for the jam tunes now.  Sure you can point me to a few exceptions, but overall it's going through the motions night in and night out. 

I go through the same damn thing with each show.  Get all amped with the setlist -> listen to the show -> wonder why and what the hell everyone is so pumped about.  Part of what makes Phish, Phish is the inherent risk within the music.  This is the safest they have ever played in their career.  As sloppy as Albany II set II is, I'd rather hear that meandering load of shit each night than what they do normally.  At least with that set they took a risk and despite failing I respect them for that.   

I'm not asking for the sounds of the past to return, I'm asking for the sounds of the future to get here.  To find some sound that moves them to inspiration, that guides them past this rut that they are in creatively right now.  Because just playing the songs well and rehashing the same jams isn't anything special.  A lot of crappy bands can play their songs well, it's about what happens when you let the moment take you and you let go of all inhibitions.  That's what separated Phish from the rest of the lot.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

whatapiper

IMO, they are only getting better, I'm not sure how that's not obvious.  I have nothing but hope for what the future brings. This is still my favorite band, and to me there is nothing more exciting than seeing them.  I want a type II haleys first set opener just like the next guy but until then I'll be happy watching them grow again
beginning to end
we belong

Hicks

Leg II has been massively better than leg I in terms of playing so far, so I'm happy with that.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

spaced

I guess I can sort of see where sophist and thelot are coming from in this way: the band definitely is reacting to the sloppiness of 2.0 (and arguably some before then) and has been generally more conservative over 3.0.

What I don't get is the implied idea that they aren't improving. Maybe you feel they aren't "there" yet or that they aren't improving fast enough; after listening to the first few shows of this leg, I mostly disagree, but I could at least see where you are coming from if that's the case.

But I don't really think it's arguable that they have steadily improved in pretty much every respect (setlist choices, technical proficiency, jamz, etc.) since Hampton. Am I wrong on this? Do some people really think they haven't improved? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really interested to hear if people disagree with that idea.

Undermind

I think they have improved a lot in their playing and jamming over the past 2 years.  They are having so much fun playing together there is no way they won't continue to improve.   I really don't think we'll see consistent 5 song sets ever again.  That is not going to happen, so if that's what you are after I think you are going to be disappointed. 
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

disco

Quote from: Hicks on August 14, 2010, 02:09:59 PM
Leg II has been massively better than leg I in terms of playing so far, so I'm happy with that.

seeing a few shows certainly helped my outlook, but I did feel that there were chances taken at telli, particularly between songs/segues. Lots of weird spastic stuff that worked but could have not.....I hope to see more in this direction as well as some fall tour dates out west :evil:
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

Hicks

Quote from: spaced on August 14, 2010, 02:43:28 PM
I guess I can sort of see where sophist and thelot are coming from in this way: the band definitely is reacting to the sloppiness of 2.0 (and arguably some before then) and has been generally more conservative over 3.0.

What I don't get is the implied idea that they aren't improving. Maybe you feel they aren't "there" yet or that they aren't improving fast enough; after listening to the first few shows of this leg, I mostly disagree, but I could at least see where you are coming from if that's the case.

But I don't really think it's arguable that they have steadily improved in pretty much every respect (setlist choices, technical proficiency, jamz, etc.) since Hampton. Am I wrong on this? Do some people really think they haven't improved? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really interested to hear if people disagree with that idea.

I think there was some backsliding during leg I of this year.  But I think they are back on track now.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

WhatstheUse?

I agree with everything that Hicks is saying.
Bring in the dude!