News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Right Now Im Watching

Started by ucusty, November 06, 2006, 10:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

k, so last night i finally finished watching all of LOST back to back.
so, can someone now explain to me WTF? lol.
seriously, i soorta followed the 'wrap up' of what really was occuring the whole time, but i'm still pretty confused.

::spoiler alert::

so, the part im trying to figure out is basically the very end where jacks dad gives him his little speech about the whole thing being about jack being dead etcetc.
now, without getting too involved on all the metphors and metaphysics or whatev, i just didnt catch (and couldnt rewind cause it was tv)-- 'when' jack supposedly died for starters.
--was it the plane crash? and if it was, were the other characters doing the same thing as jack, or was everything 'jack centered' experience?
aaaahhhh.
and then i'm even more confused... so if the island was just some metaphysical apparition created by Jack or everyone on the plane's mind... what then about the whole back history of the Island--jacob, dharma, etc... why would any of that stuff exist 500-1000s years ago if it was just about JAck?
omg...
just some clarification here... anything. help me my brain still hurts trying to get some sort of resolution, lol. thx.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

VA $l!m

ytowndan

Jack died at the end of the series finale.  It was after he fell to the ground from his knife wound, where he laid there watching them all leave in the plane.  He laid there bleeding out, until he eventually closed his eyes and let go (the show began with jack laying on the ground of the jungle, opening his eyes after regaining conciseness. . . they kinda ended it the same way, but with him closing his eyes). 

As for the rest of it, everything you saw on the show really happened.  They got in the crash, survived, there really was a "smoke monster," some of them really left the island and came back, Jacob was real, Hurley became the "next Jacob" with Ben as his number two, etc., etc.  It was all real.  The flashback stories, flash-forward stories, and the "flash-sideways" stories all happened.   

Those "flash-sideways" stories we saw during the last season turned out to be a temporary "stage" in the afterlife.  Like a stepping stone in between here and "heaven" or whatever you want to think of it as.  Time was irrelevant there.  As Jack's dad explained, "some of them died before you, and some died long, long after."  We should assume that Hurley and Ben went on living for hundreds (thousands?) of years just like Jacob and Richard.  And, as we already know, some of them died long before Jack (Shannon and Boone, for example).  The "when" part of their death was of no relevance.  For all we know, Kate could have gone back home and died of old age several decades later.  The whole "flash-sideways" thing was their stepping stone to the afterlife.  Where they had to relive the experience again, in an alternate version as if the plane had never crashed.  And only when they "met" each other, and ultimately touched each others' lives again, would they remember and move on together. 

Hopefully I explained that well.  I haven't watched it since the night it aired. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

khalpin

Quote from: ytowndan on February 19, 2013, 01:02:41 AM
Jack died at the end of the series finale.  It was after he fell to the ground from his knife wound, where he laid there watching them all leave in the plane.  He laid there bleeding out, until he eventually closed his eyes and let go (the show began with jack laying on the ground of the jungle, opening his eyes after regaining conciseness. . . they kinda ended it the same way, but with him closing his eyes). 

As for the rest of it, everything you saw on the show really happened.  They got in the crash, survived, there really was a "smoke monster," some of them really left the island and came back, Jacob was real, Hurley became the "next Jacob" with Ben as his number two, etc., etc.  It was all real.  The flashback stories, flash-forward stories, and the "flash-sideways" stories all happened.   

Those "flash-sideways" stories we saw during the last season turned out to be a temporary "stage" in the afterlife.  Like a stepping stone in between here and "heaven" or whatever you want to think of it as.  Time was irrelevant there.  As Jack's dad explained, "some of them died before you, and some died long, long after."  We should assume that Hurley and Ben went on living for hundreds (thousands?) of years just like Jacob and Richard.  And, as we already know, some of them died long before Jack (Shannon and Boone, for example).  The "when" part of their death was of no relevance.  For all we know, Kate could have gone back home and died of old age several decades later.  The whole "flash-sideways" thing was their stepping stone to the afterlife.  Where they had to relive the experience again, in an alternate version as if the plane had never crashed.  And only when they "met" each other, and ultimately touched each others' lives again, would they remember and move on together. 

Hopefully I explained that well.  I haven't watched it since the night it aired.
Thanks, Dan.  Almost makes me want to watch the series again.

VA $l!m

Quote from: khalpin on February 19, 2013, 07:42:28 AM

YES! thanks that's pretty much all i was asking.

and KHALP: G4 just restarted the series fromt eh beginning this week. 4 episodes every MOnday. so, next monday will be EP 5 season 1.

though, i'm not sure if they will keep it goin when G4 is getting changed to another network soon... not sure.

gainesvillegreen

It's Always Sunny
Season 4 Finale

The Nightman Cometh
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

mbw

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on February 19, 2013, 11:20:36 PM
It's Always Sunny
Season 4 Finale

The Nightman Cometh

you gotta pay the troll toll, to get in this boy's hole.

troll tollll.

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: mbw on February 19, 2013, 11:26:06 PM
Quote from: gainesvillegreen on February 19, 2013, 11:20:36 PM
It's Always Sunny
Season 4 Finale

The Nightman Cometh

you gotta pay the troll toll, to get in this boy's hole.

troll tollll.

Do you have a boner?

Don't ruin this for me.

mehead

Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughn In Session on PBS
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Mr. Natural

Cool documentary on the back-to-the-land/commune scene in New Zealand back in the late '60s / early '70s.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

Lifeboy

Quote from: khalpin on February 19, 2013, 07:42:28 AM

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

gainesvillegreen

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

"The Gang Dances Their Asses Off"

Buffalo Budd

Actually pushed myself to get back into Shameless this season after a lackliuster start, it has started to come around.  Enjoyed the last few episodes.
Still have to think Frank's days are numbered.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

ytowndan

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on March 15, 2013, 12:04:37 AM
Actually pushed myself to get back into Shameless this season after a lackliuster start, it has started to come around.  Enjoyed the last few episodes.

The idea of Frank and his new "roommate" really cracks me up.  I wonder how long that will last.  I think Frank is the only person on Earth capable of pissing off a dude who's that insanely desperate for a friend. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: ytowndan on March 15, 2013, 01:00:42 AM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on March 15, 2013, 12:04:37 AM

The idea of Frank and his new "roommate" really cracks me up.  I wonder how long that will last.  I think Frank is the only person on Earth capable of pissing off a dude who's that insanely desperate for a friend.

Well, he pretty much wrapped Sheila around his little finger.  Who knows to what depths Frank will sink to keep a roof over his head.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.