News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

NFL 2015-2016

Started by PIE-GUY, August 13, 2015, 11:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

Once again, Denver's defense was friggin awesome.

they would have won if my sister played QB tonight
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

Liked the outcome but that game was a sloppy snoozer IMO.

Nice capper for Manning's career though. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

pcr3

Quote from: slslbs on February 07, 2016, 10:20:56 PM
Once again, Denver's defense was friggin awesome.

they would have won if my sister played QB tonight

Wait...that wasn't her?

:tte:
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

PIE-GUY

It's a testament to Denver's D, honestly. Cam has been dominant over so many defenses this year. To shut him down was impressive.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sls.stormyrider

Not to take anything away from Denver, that "imcomplete pass" that held up on challenge made no sense. Then it was followed by the defensive TD.

The league needs to look at that
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PIE-GUY

A brutal take on Cam's night:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/09/sports/super-bowl-carolina-panthers-cam-newton.html?

Cam Newton, a Man of Many Talents, Falls Short on Leadership

by Michael Powell  Feb. 8, 2016 

SANTA CLARA, Calif. — There was no humiliation to be found in Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton's performance on the field at the Super Bowl. The Denver Broncos defenders charged like banshees and werewolves, coming over and under and hurtling around the Panthers defense.

The young quarterback was sacked six times, fumbled when the man-mountain known as Von Miller tossed him to the turf. Some brilliant javelin throws to the side, Newton had a less than stellar night.

His humiliation came after the game, however, and it was self-imposed.

Newton, 26, an ebullient, intelligent, gifted quarterback, decided to act in his moment of truth like a 13-year-old. He slouched into the interview room late, well after a number of his teammates, rookies and veterans alike, had gamely answered one painful question after another.

He took a seat, a blue sweatshirt hood pulled low over his face. He made eye contact with no one. What did he make of the game? Was he surprised? How could he explain? The reporters' questions arrived one after the other, not a surprise in the batch, some framed as gently as if offered by dimwitted therapists. For more than a minute, he stared at the floor, scratched his chin, curled his lip and sulked.

Newton did not have much to say during his post-game news conference.
Anything he would do differently? "No."

What did his coach tell the team? "He told us a lot of things."

Did the Denver defense take away Carolina's running lanes? "No."

He offered a few more monosyllabic answers and then got up and walked away.

It was as if Newton was intent on taking his magical season, his jumping jacks and dabs and evident leadership, and poking a hole in his side. He let his charisma and leadership drain away, to be replaced by a soup of the sour and the petulant.

Newton did not put up a uniquely poor effort. This was no game for the ages, this penalty-strewn, butterfingered, butter-toed exercise of Denver outlasting its opponent. Peyton Manning, the ancient mariner of a Broncos quarterback, was reduced to gesturing and fakes, and little more. His team moved more or less not at all, the Broncos offense consisting of a mind-numbing set of runs that went nowhere and of Manning passes that went a yard or two, or three.

Manning's throws resembled whiffle balls; one hung so softly in the air that defensive end Kony Ealy simply reached out and intercepted it with a single hand.

The Broncos' defense was brilliant, except when its cornerback Aqib Talib was grabbing at an opponent's face mask and trying to twist his head off like a mad farmer with a chicken. Talib received three flags in the first half and in most other sports would have been sent to the showers by the referees. "B.S. flags," he called his penalties, adding, "One I just did on purpose, and I just had to show him."

Then Talib talked about how special it was that his children watched him that night.

This is what passes for a heartwarming N.F.L. moment.

The mesmerizing figure, however, was Newton, who is so prodigiously talented. As an ESPN writer noted, Newton, at 6-foot-5 and 245 pounds, is bigger than any player on the Green Bay Packers championship team in Super Bowl I. He reads offenses with a Jesuitical intensity, and he is that rare pocket passer who can dodge and weave and break off loping runs.

He can be, in other words, an awful lot of fun to watch.

Newton was harassed by Broncos defenders, like Malik Jackson, right, all night.
If, on some plays on Sunday, he resembled a water bug in a jar, jumping this way and that, he was game in taking on that relentless Broncos defense. For long stretches of the second and third quarters, he was the most exciting player on the field. He finished 18 of 41 for 265 yards, and he fumbled twice.

By the final quarter, however, his body English spoke to demons taking slow possession of his house. Denver linebacker DeMarcus Ware went horizontal and laid him out. As Newton bounced off the turf, he gave an annoyed look, a princeling not accustomed to such tough handling.

He wandered to the Panthers sideline. The Panthers trailed just 16-7, very much in this game. Three weeks ago, I had watched Newton rally his team, doing jumping jacks, leaping and exchanging chest bumps with his receivers and runners.

Not now. He wandered down the sideline and stared into space.

Then he put his hands on his knees and stared at the ground for 14 seconds.

Later, slowly, he wandered back toward his bench. He walked to his offensive line — a porous lot this night — and slapped two hands. Then he wandered off again.

It was as if this were the prologue to the denouement.

The Panthers acquitted themselves well after the game. The rookie wide receiver Devin Funchess took question after question. "It was playoff ball, man, they exploded off the ball," he said. "It hurts."

And their big defensive end, Charles Johnson, spoke of not having "the energy we usually have."

"We didn't execute like we usually do," he added.

Over in the corner of the interview room, the top-paid player on the team, the marquee man, was not showing leadership.

This need not be Newton's epitaph. Others have sulked ignominiously, not the least the Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, who brings a belligerent, not to mention monosyllabic, irascibility to nearly every encounter with the news media, win or lose.

Newton has fine mentors from which to learn grace, among them the Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon, who endured years of racially tinged self-imposed exile in Canada in the 1980s before an N.F.L. team consented to allow him to take snaps and lead a team.

Newton's talents are many. His challenge is to prove himself equal to leading his fine team.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

zimbra

"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

emay

walking down during my lunch break to catch the parade, people already out there with lawn chairs  :-o

anthrax

"BREAKING NEWS: The Denver Broncos sign veteran quarterback, Uncle Rico, from Idaho. VP of Football operations and General Manager, John Elway said, 'The guy can throw a football over them Rocky Mountains.'"

antelope19

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment