News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

7/28/2017 - MSG, New York, NY

Started by PIE-GUY, July 28, 2017, 11:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

7/28/2017 - MSG, New York, NY

Set I : Chocolate Rain*, Ass Handed, Free, Weigh, Undermind, Oh Kee Pa Ceremony, The Dogs, Destiny Unbound, Divided Sky, Things People Do (aka the Pinterest Song), Sand

Set II: Have Mercy, Chalkdust Torture, You Sexy Thing$, Mercury>You Sexy Thing reprise, Backwards Down the Numberline, Rock & Roll

E: Fee@, Space Oddity

*FTP - a capella with pre-recorded backing track - Tay Zonday cover
$ FTP - Hot Chocolate cover
@ "you're racing with the wind, you're flirting with Seth, so have a chocolate donut and catch your breath."

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

birdman

Holy shit that was fun.
My first solo show since lowell 95. What a liberating night. I believe in miracles .Run walk or crawl but don't miss any more of these shows.
Paug FTMFW!

khalpin

My favorite 3.0 show by far, although that's coming from a pretty small sample size.  Had a blast.

WhatstheUse?

Oh man! I can't believe I'm missing these!

Chakdust! Weigh! Oh Kee Pa! Sand! Have Mercy! R&R! Fee! I waaaannnna see thooooose.

How was the CDT jam?!
Bring in the dude!

Hicks

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 29, 2017, 03:17:57 AM
Oh man! I can't believe I'm missing these!

Chakdust! Weigh! Oh Kee Pa! Sand! Have Mercy! R&R! Fee! I waaaannnna see thooooose.

How was the CDT jam?!

Pretty, pretty good. 

I would say the You Sexy Thing was the jam of the night though. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

ph92

Tuned in for the second set, that CDT was real nice. Sand seemed pretty solid too, cant wait to relisten to this. That "You sexy thing" sandwich was fucking awesome. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Set 2 looks great on paper.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

mistercharlie

Looks great on paper. I can't wait to dive in and listen today!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Gol D. Roger

Really digging that You Sexy Thing.
,,Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat"

rowjimmy

First set is really good. Nothing is crazy extended but good playing and locked up microjamsTM.
Especially enjoyed the Destiny groove and Sand.

Marmar

Weakest show of the run thusfar....

Just consider that for a moment.

Not sayin it was bad, but definitely the weakest of the run....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

mvernon

Went with my sister who is visiting from Delhi India who had not heard of or seen Phish. Bought tickets a few days before because she is flying back to India today.  We don't see each other that often now that she lives abroad so what better way than spending some time together seeing a new band for her.

Entered MSG ~ 7:45PM and in no hurry made it to will call and then our seats section 218.

After settling in a bit we were talking and she thinks the last time we had gone to a rock concert was the Grateful Dead, Boston Garden April 2, 1973!
Her recollection was walking along the Charles watching the sun rise and having one of those post lysergic philosophical discussions about existence, the meaning of life and the power of music to alter our mental state. She had arranged for a family reunion a few years back in Goa for a 3 day electronic dance music festival.  Both she and my son are into EDM.  So taking her to see one of the BD shows had potential for a memorable night like our shared experience 44 years ago.

I didn't say much about Phish to her before the show, what kind of music they play etc. to let her experience the show without any pre-conceptions.

Section 218 was a good perspective on the show and the lights though the sound isn't as good as it seems it should be considering the seats are at the height and centered (making an equilateral triangle) with the rear facing PA stacks so geometrically it should be in the sweet spot. 

After the show she said she liked set 2 better than set 1 especially the improvisational portions. She said she also liked Page's playing.

In my concert attending experience when a performance is strong or exceptional its not possible for my attention wander from the music happening now.  I'd rank this show as solid with a few moments where I got into the playing but I didn't get caught up in the flow of the music as much as BD Night 1.

Time will tell if she listens to any Phish after she returns to India.

cactusfan

Quote from: Marmar on July 29, 2017, 10:02:52 AM

I concur. Bunch of interesting songs, though. I like what no repeats is doing for them.

First Sand to ever close a set. Just not that exciting a Sand. Chalk Dust and You Sexy Thing are nice.

VDB

Very fun show. CDT had major legs and You Sexy Thing was great with a super sexy jam coming out of it. The Phish are not disappointing these days.
Is this still Wombat?

gah

Quote from: cactusfan on July 29, 2017, 11:53:51 AM
Quote from: Marmar on July 29, 2017, 10:02:52 AM

I concur. Bunch of interesting songs, though. I like what no repeats is doing for them.

First Sand to ever close a set. Just not that exciting a Sand. Chalk Dust and You Sexy Thing are nice.

It occurred to me last night that the no repeats thing is also playing a role in them jamming more, because they know they have to stretch them a bit to fill out the set.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Hicks

Quote from: mvernon on July 29, 2017, 11:53:20 AM
Went with my sister who is visiting from Delhi India who had not heard of or seen Phish. Bought tickets a few days before because she is flying back to India today.  We don't see each other that often now that she lives abroad so what better way than spending some time together seeing a new band for her.

Entered MSG ~ 7:45PM and in no hurry made it to will call and then our seats section 218.

After settling in a bit we were talking and she thinks the last time we had gone to a rock concert was the Grateful Dead, Boston Garden April 2, 1973!
Her recollection was walking along the Charles watching the sun rise and having one of those post lysergic philosophical discussions about existence, the meaning of life and the power of music to alter our mental state. She had arranged for a family reunion a few years back in Goa for a 3 day electronic dance music festival.  Both she and my son are into EDM.  So taking her to see one of the BD shows had potential for a memorable night like our shared experience 44 years ago.

I didn't say much about Phish to her before the show, what kind of music they play etc. to let her experience the show without any pre-conceptions.

Section 218 was a good perspective on the show and the lights though the sound isn't as good as it seems it should be considering the seats are at the height and centered (making an equilateral triangle) with the rear facing PA stacks so geometrically it should be in the sweet spot. 

After the show she said she liked set 2 better than set 1 especially the improvisational portions. She said she also liked Page's playing.

In my concert attending experience when a performance is strong or exceptional its not possible for my attention wander from the music happening now.  I'd rank this show as solid with a few moments where I got into the playing but I didn't get caught up in the flow of the music as much as BD Night 1.

Time will tell if she listens to any Phish after she returns to India.

Sweet, thanks for sharing! 

That GD show from 4/2/73 is amazing, one of the best Eyes ever.  It was recently released as Daves Picks 21 too. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.