News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Tent Rec's or Experience with Tarptent?

Started by ph92, June 08, 2018, 10:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ph92

Quote from: Caravan2001 on June 12, 2018, 09:39:59 PM
Dope.  You're stoked!  Enjoy!  Using it at any shows this summer?
Yeah definitely. That's why I got it. I sold all my old camping equipment a while ago when i was making poor life choices. So now I'm using excuses like hurricanes and shows to slowly build it up again. I'm hitting the gorge and curveball so it'll get some use.

I'm stoked for it though. Never had a tent of this caliber. I used to use a hilleberg tarp with my trekking poles. But that only worked in the PNW cause bugs weren't too bad.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Caravan2001

Quote from: ph92 on June 12, 2018, 10:27:23 PM
Yeah definitely. That's why I got it. I sold all my old camping equipment a while ago when i was making poor life choices. So now I'm using excuses like hurricanes and shows to slowly build it up again. I'm hitting the gorge and curveball so it'll get some use.

I'm stoked for it though. Never had a tent of this caliber. I used to use a hilleberg tarp with my trekking poles. But that only worked in the PNW cause bugs weren't too bad.

Rad.  I am also hitting Gorge and Curveball so let's link if possible.  I'm not tenting but I'm sure I'll see you at one of those shows.

ph92

Quote from: Caravan2001 on June 12, 2018, 10:38:14 PM

Rad.  I am also hitting Gorge and Curveball so let's link if possible.  I'm not tenting but I'm sure I'll see you at one of those shows.
Yeah definitely! I'm camping with emay's crew at the Gorge, but curveball I'll be will be in the phellowship campsite. Well definitely catch up.
Make America Melt Again!

Caravan2001

Quote from: ph92 on June 12, 2018, 11:32:22 PM

Yeah definitely! I'm camping with emay's crew at the Gorge, but curveball I'll be will be in the phellowship campsite. Well definitely catch up.
Both ends of the spectrum lol...

ph92

Quote from: Caravan2001 on June 13, 2018, 12:51:13 AM

I know right? Should be interesting. What campsite are you in at the gorge? I think we're premier
Make America Melt Again!

Caravan2001

Quote from: ph92 on June 13, 2018, 08:51:36 AM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on June 13, 2018, 12:51:13 AM

I know right? Should be interesting. What campsite are you in at the gorge? I think we're premier

I am in a condo at the Gorge.  Kind of wish I was onsite but didn't work out that way.  Hopefully I make it up there one of the days/nights.  On site at Curveball for sure!

gah

Quote from: ph92 on June 12, 2018, 05:57:06 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on June 12, 2018, 02:56:29 PM
Quote from: ph92 on June 10, 2018, 11:37:35 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on June 10, 2018, 07:31:27 PM
Quote from: ph92 on June 10, 2018, 01:27:33 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on June 08, 2018, 08:57:06 PM
Tarptent's are pretty cool.  I have a bunch of different tents for various purposes (1 person to 6 person).  My go to backpacking tent was the Big Agnes but last year I switched to Nemo and I could not be happier.  I have a Hornet 1P that I used for bikepacking and it's dope, but it's not free standing so you always need to stake it.  I got a Dagger 2P for backpacking so I could fit my dog and now I bring that one bikepacking too.  Packs down super small, has only one pole and sets up in literally 2 minutes.  It's the best. I think the 2P is great for one person, awesome height and amazingly weatherproof.  Can't recommend it enough.  $399 but you can find it on REI 20% sale or other similar.  It's the best tent I have used for a lot of reasons.  There are reviews all over the net.

https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/dagger/
Awesome thanks. Do you use the vestibule to store your gear or do you have it inside with you? Cause the 1P looks decent space wise if you store gear outside.

Nemo definitely seems to be a good contender.

The 1P is OK.  I will typically leave me backpack in the vestibule, just depends on where I am camping and weather, I guess.  The one person is decent but the 2P is super roomy for one person (and 65lb. dog).  You don't save a ton of weight with the one person.  I typically don't do a lot of hanging out in my tent though as I try to be a fair-weather camper.  If I was going to be stuck in a downpour in my tent all day, I would want the 2P for sure.  The 2P is big enough for 2 if the other person is your SO or kid, but I would not try and share it with a platonic friend at a festy...It would be snug for two dudes...
Okay thanks for the info. I'm gonna continue research. Made a spreadsheet to help weigh my options haha.

Yeah, it's a big decision.  For me it came down to what was easiest for me as far as setup.  I realize I really like having a freestanding tent and not have to rely on staking to pitch it. All the new ultralight backpacking tents are hard to go wrong with.  Another reason I like the Dagger 2P as well was because it had doors on both sides. If you're not doing an ultralight through-hike, you have some great options.
I ended up going with the Tarptent Bowfin 1.
When I had all the  pros and cons written down, it had the pros of a lot of tents reccomended and what I was already looking at, and very few cons.

Stand out factors:
Dual Wall
Dual Vestibule/Doors
1min setup (sets up fly with mesh connected, so it won't get wet)
Free Standing
35 oz!!

Space was not the best, not nearly as good as the Rainbow or any of the 2P tents I was looking at, but after staring at models etc, it seemed that it was going to be plenty for what I was after.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/bowfin-1/

Again, thanks for everyone who helped me out. I think the Nemo's might be more for if I want space for car camping etc. I really like their design for some of their bigger models, but the whole mesh sets up first has been a big turn off I've realized especially if this is the one to be used on the trail. I've had some bad experiences with ones that setup rain fly last.

Solid choice.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.