News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things ViDEO GAMES

Started by VA $l!m, March 12, 2007, 04:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

Quote from: nab on January 06, 2019, 08:49:28 AM
I'm gonna try it again, but my first 30 or so hours in Fallout 76 were pretty disappointing. 

Kinda felt like your favorite series of novels suddenly has one of the sequels released only as an action movie, cause action movies are totes hot right now.
its definitely NOT fallout 3 or 4.
if thats the kind of game you're looking for you will most likely be disappointed. Its 100% a multiplayer sandbox loot grind in a Fallout world, not a story driven RPG.
in general the game is a buggy shit show ATM anyway, but i'm still having a blast playing it with my friends.

Really i think it will be a much better game in 6 months or so, but as it stands now you definitely need a specific mindset to enjoy it. Mostly a high tolerance for bugs, disconnects,  lack of content... lol. yeah, but i still love the open world, combat, character and base building. Its great for Multiplayer RPing. Ive never had so much fun goofing off  with friends in a game.
It'll be even better once they start adding content in the next few months. tehyre adding a pvp mode and player vending this month, both of which im very excited about.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

VA $l!m

tet

Quote from: VA $l!m on January 10, 2019, 10:56:09 PM

QFMFT!!!  I'm so fucking happy about this, you have no idea!! 

Bungie = ❤️
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VA $l!m

nab

Quote from: VA $l!m on January 07, 2019, 02:45:57 AM
I'm gonna try it again, but my first 30 or so hours in Fallout 76 were pretty disappointing. 

Kinda felt like your favorite series of novels suddenly has one of the sequels released only as an action movie, cause action movies are totes hot right now.
if thats the kind of game you're looking for you will most likely be disappointed. Its 100% a multiplayer sandbox loot grind in a Fallout world, not a story driven RPG.

I knew that going into it.  I'm still disappointed.  At least ESO (which is the only thing analogous I can think of) could be enjoyed with minor dabbling into the multi-player element. 

I'm just whining about the constant emphasis on multi-player.  I've got a job, a family, and other things that make it hard to go the extra step and find the time to use a multiplayer mechanic effectively.  short excursions I don't mind; a few battles in SWBF or something like that, but I'm outclassed on anything that takes a larger commitment. 

To be honest, what really scares me is that this format will replace great single player games.  Anyone holding their breath for a new Elder Scrolls single player will die of asphyxiation as ESO has already sucked the air out of the room.  I don't want that to happen to Fallout.  That a multiplayer version of Fallout exists doesn't really bother me; I'm not some purist that doesn't want anyone else having fun.  It's just the possibility of another single player Fallout not coming out while they pour all their resources into the multi-player experience, that scares me.       

emay

VA $l!m

Quote from: nab on January 11, 2019, 03:52:56 PM

I knew that going into it.  I'm still disappointed.  At least ESO (which is the only thing analogous I can think of) could be enjoyed with minor dabbling into the multi-player element. 

I'm just whining about the constant emphasis on multi-player.  I've got a job, a family, and other things that make it hard to go the extra step and find the time to use a multiplayer mechanic effectively.  short excursions I don't mind; a few battles in SWBF or something like that, but I'm outclassed on anything that takes a larger commitment. 

To be honest, what really scares me is that this format will replace great single player games.  Anyone holding their breath for a new Elder Scrolls single player will die of asphyxiation as ESO has already sucked the air out of the room.  I don't want that to happen to Fallout.  That a multiplayer version of Fallout exists doesn't really bother me; I'm not some purist that doesn't want anyone else having fun.  It's just the possibility of another single player Fallout not coming out while they pour all their resources into the multi-player experience, that scares me.       
i hear you but a couple things to remember-
1. eso took zero resources away from Bethesda SP game development sicne it is 100% Zenimax's thing.
2. 76 couldnt didnt really take anything away from SP game development either since it basically the mp portion of fallout 4 cut out and sold seperately. and trust me beyond the world creation they didnt put shit for resources into this game which is why it was released in half ass condidtion.
Regardless, Starfield is there next game and it will be 100% SP. then Elder scrolls, 100% SP.  Dont listen to the gaming/ social media, SP games are still BEthesda's focus.
IF anything is taking away their focus from that its the bizillion dollars they are making in mobile gaming like every other major dev. these days. I believe Fallout shelter alone sold more copies than all of their other games combined ever or something like that...

also BTw if you actually get into 76 there is absolutely no MP requirement. in fact the actual content is probably more fun / challenging solo.
If launching nukes and the story leading up to launching nukes is the 
only real pve endgame ATM i would say its alot more scaled to solo play. With a team it becomes seriously too easy. Solo its actually still pretty challenging.
as someone who is lvl 150 ish in 76 ATM i can tell you everything in the game is more than doable solo, and prbably more rewarding. give it a try. the MP aspect really only makes for social fun ATM and is defintiely not needed for content in the slightest.

VA $l!m

PS- if your really looking for a purist SP Fallout type game right now then def check out Outer worlds coming this year from Obsidian the devs of the original fallouts and new vegas.

VA $l!m

VA $l!m

So ive pretty much burned out on Fallout unfortunately for the time being.
I love the game despite its flaws, but there definitely is a lack of a good end game once you put a coupel hundred hours into it like i have.
Battelfield just ain't really doing it for me either it seems this time around... might get back into Red Dead...

Sorta in a game hole ATM and looking forward to things coming in the next few months.

Anthem demo should be fun though its still  probably a pass for me unless it blows me away more than the gameplay ive seen.
Mostly ive really started getting hyped for Division 2.  beta is 2nd week of Feb and i have a really good feeling about where the development is.
ESO  announced next expansion will have NEcromancer class, so who knows, might get back into that this summer to tide me over til CYberpunk and Last of Us 2 drop in the Fall most likely.
Also, Insurgency Sandstorm should be coming soon and it looks fantastic for a competitive shooter.

& ESO with the sick trailer per usual

nab

Quote from: VA $l!m on January 12, 2019, 12:42:13 PM

1. eso took zero resources away from Bethesda SP game development sicne it is 100% Zenimax's thing.
2. 76 couldnt didnt really take anything away from SP game development either since it basically the mp portion of fallout 4 cut out and sold seperately. and trust me beyond the world creation they didnt put shit for resources into this game which is why it was released in half ass condidtion.
Regardless, Starfield is there next game and it will be 100% SP. then Elder scrolls, 100% SP.  Dont listen to the gaming/ social media, SP games are still BEthesda's focus.
IF anything is taking away their focus from that its the bizillion dollars they are making in mobile gaming like every other major dev. these days. I believe Fallout shelter alone sold more copies than all of their other games combined ever or something like that...

also BTw if you actually get into 76 there is absolutely no MP requirement. in fact the actual content is probably more fun / challenging solo.
only real pve endgame ATM i would say its alot more scaled to solo play. With a team it becomes seriously too easy. Solo its actually still pretty challenging.
as someone who is lvl 150 ish in 76 ATM i can tell you everything in the game is more than doable solo, and prbably more rewarding. give it a try. the MP aspect really only makes for social fun ATM and is defintiely not needed for content in the slightest.

After having this conversation, I went back to 76. 

I'm having a lot more fun this go around than I did the first time. 

VA $l!m

Quote from: nab on January 17, 2019, 01:03:12 AM
Quote from: VA $l!m on January 12, 2019, 12:42:13 PM

After having this conversation, I went back to 76. 

I'm having a lot more fun this go around than I did the first time.
right on dude, if you need any tips just LMK.

- also, i will say that i have pretty good feelings about Bethesda's commitment to making 76 a great game for years to come.
they really did release a 'beta' type product, but if you keep up on things they have been very active working with the community and are working on adding many  features and content requested by players, alongside the obvious and most pressing bugs, stability etc,.
I seriously believe that in 3 months, and again in 6 months, 12 months time the game will really shape up to its potential as it grows.

tet

I'm still having fun in fo76, only level 26 still but enjoying collecting/scrapping/exploring.  the fixes so far have been great, lots of bugs squashed.  needs some QoL love in some aspects, but that will come. 
-Phish

VA $l!m

COD battle royal free trial thru nxt thurs

tet

i just hopped back into BFII last night, man that game is playing nicely right now - quick return to battle after deaths is really a nice new feature.  the graphics and gameplay are SO good...
-Phish