News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Caravan2001

gah

cross thread post....

Quote from: Bobafett
I’ve thought about chantix.  I know I’ve heard of some weird side effects about sleep and dreams with it, mine are so vivid at the moment I don’t think that should be a problem.  Thanks for the support everyone.

Yes dude. Solid work!

As for the nicotine...man, we got a thread for that too! I'm actually heading there right now...on day 3 of trying to quit....I'd been quit off cigs for almost 3 years, but then a couple years ago bummed one here or there, and since then it's been an off and on habit...a pack of smokes here or there for a show or festival, a tin of dip just for driving around...then I started picking up the little ecigs at the convenient stores...those things are evil, have insanely high amounts of nicotine in them...and so finally two months ago, I bought a mod, the whole rig, vape system set up, so I could control and reduce the nicotine levels over a period of time...and by this past Sunday, I was just filling the tank with 0% juice; by Monday was done even hitting that...

Even reducing the levels slowly like that though, I had a headache for about 48 straight hours and was exhausted for a couple days...and today....my brain won't stop screaming at me for some nicotine...but, I'm almost past this 3 day bump and have been reading back through this thread though the last couple days has been really helpful.

So yeah, there's that.

Bobafett

The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Bobafett on August 29, 2018, 08:03:09 PM
Right on

Quitting is easy. I do it all the time.

Seriously, though. I use Walgreens brand mini-losenges. First day without smokes I make sure one is in my mouth literally every waking minute. Next day I try and use five or less of them. I can ween myself off of them over the course of about two weeks. It sucks a whole lot less than cold turkey. Basically, it just keeps me from kicking the dog while I kick the habit.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VA $l!m

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 29, 2018, 10:14:01 PM
Right on

Seriously, though. I use Walgreens brand mini-losenges. First day without smokes I make sure one is in my mouth literally every waking minute. Next day I try and use five or less of them. I can ween myself off of them over the course of about two weeks. It sucks a whole lot less than cold turkey. Basically, it just keeps me from kicking the dog while I kick the habit.
mini losenges? Like nicotine losenges?

Bobafett

You know I have a mod kit that I've never given a fair shake.  I didn't think that vaping was an actual strategy to help ween myself off.  Would you start with a strong nicotine juice and taper down to less and less strength, then switch to 0%?   

I feel like just holding a straw and sittting down outside when I'm stressed and normally wanting a smoke would/could help.  Also thought of setting time frames, like if I get frustrated at work if I can make it until 2, I'll have a smoke, then pushing it back by 15 minutes.

I currently smoke about 10/day.  I am the only kitchen worker that smokes, which is pretty crazy.

Cold turkey is not going to be my method. 
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: VA $l!m on August 29, 2018, 10:47:52 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 29, 2018, 10:14:01 PM
Right on

mini losenges? Like nicotine losenges?

Yes. 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VA $l!m

Quote from: Bobafett on August 29, 2018, 11:00:55 PM
You know I have a mod kit that I've never given a fair shake.  I didn't think that vaping was an actual strategy to help ween myself off.  Would you start with a strong nicotine juice and taper down to less and less strength, then switch to 0%?   

I feel like just holding a straw and sittting down outside when I'm stressed and normally wanting a smoke would/could help.  Also thought of setting time frames, like if I get frustrated at work if I can make it until 2, I'll have a smoke, then pushing it back by 15 minutes.

I currently smoke about 10/day.  I am the only kitchen worker that smokes, which is pretty crazy.

in relation to your comment about a straw and sitting outside i can relate to that.
ive been stuck at about 3 a day for the last month, and when i get big chunks of time without usually i will actually go outside like i am going to smoke, but then i just breathe instead.
Theres been studies i believe that show that when you crave a cig and are about to cave in you will basically hyperventalate, or your breathing will get really wonky in one way or another.
i've found over the years that if you basically are 'about to smoke' or ' go outside to have a smoke' and then just do some basic focused meditative breathing. IE - breathe in thru nose 1, 2, 3, breathe out 1, 2,3 , 4 etc, then you can shake the 'immediate' urge.

of course all techniques, tools, etc. are completely relative to the user.
if theres one thing ive learned about addictions over the last 25+ years its that each person has there own ways of thinking and dealing with their own stuff.
i gotta say being a restaurant worker and habital smoker though is a tough cycle to crack.
Unless you work in a super dead low stress place its a bitch dropping that release when your used to having it to chill out in between rushes or whatever.

gah

Quote from: Bobafett on August 29, 2018, 11:00:55 PM

Yeah, so I did the taper for sure. Started at like 12mg juice, then after a week or two, made a 6 and 12 mix, and then a 6 for awhile, then a 6 and 3 mix, etc...until I was down to a 3 and 0 mix, but then rather than drop to zero, I did one bottle of 3, and 3 bottles of 0, making it a .75 juice....which at that point you're at 1/16th of a cigarette nicotine level...which is pretty much nothing....and then I finally hit zero at some point Sunday afternoon...which is when the headache started...but I do feel doing the taper over 2 months definitely helped...I think it's worth it. (OH, and early on getting into using the mod/vape, I was still smoking and dipping, that took about a month to transition to use the mod/vape as my only nicotine delivery system, but I knew once I was on that only, I could start to control the taper....)

I get the straw thing too...so I've got the vape mouthpiece still in my pocket and every once in awhile still pull on that, like when I get in the car or after a meal. Feels stupid like a baby with a pacifier trying to ween off a bottle, but that's the legit psychological dependence once the chemical part has wore off...it totally becomes a mind game from that point forward.

ETA: on day 4!

Here's some charts I found that might be helpful...

Bobafett