News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R8/W03: 07-02-1995 Sugarbush Summerstage, West Fayston, VT

Started by PIE-GUY, September 13, 2009, 03:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Caravan2001

These two shows were great, until all of our shit got stolen  :|

Superfreakie

Quote from: caravan2001 on September 13, 2009, 11:36:44 PM

That's funny, I lost my shit as I was way too high. I had just hopped off of Dead tour after the Palace shows, skipping the Creek, for these two nights. Great decision, loaded with fluff, ready to get down. The only regret I have is that I did not see enough Phish that summer, only caught these two and the two at Red Rocks.

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Superfreakie on September 14, 2009, 12:35:11 AM

That's funny, I lost my shit as I was way too high. I had just hopped off of Dead tour after the Palace shows, skipping the Creek, for these two nights. Great decision, loaded with fluff, ready to get down. The only regret I have is that I did not see enough Phish that summer, only caught these two and the two at Red Rocks.

Phish Summer Tour 95 pwn'd Dead Summer Tour 95 in so many ways.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Superfreakie

Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 14, 2009, 01:03:42 AM
Quote from: Superfreakie on September 14, 2009, 12:35:11 AM

Phish Summer Tour 95 pwn'd Dead Summer Tour 95 in so many ways.

Yeah, I did all of that summer tour, west and east until Detroit....in Detroit I pulled the trigger, to the consternation of my GF, deciding I couldn't take the train wreck anymore.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

pnchundi

interesting philosophy to pick shows you havent seen.  My have been a mix, about half and half

antelope19

This first set was one of the first tapes I ever got back in the day.  I love it!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sophist

The Phish
July 2nd 1995
Sugarbrush Summerstage West Fayston, VT

Set I

Sample in a Jar>
This one has a little more kick to it than the previous sample opener we heard.  Solid version, but none the less a song I can do without hearing.  Good little solo by Trey and they slam into

The Divided Sky
Near flawless version.  The composed sections just soar in this version.  You can actually hear the energy build from the stage in these tapes.  This is a really tight version.  I love it.  Perfect placement and performance.  Killer peak at the end of the song, and they absolutely nail the ending as well. 

Gumbo
Short and funky.  I like the pre-cow funk.  It has the right flavor, and great placement here.  This is what I touched on in my last review, good diversity and mix of styles.  This version is solid. 

The Curtain
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, without....  I suppose it will suffice.  Though I do find it fascinating that Rift appears later in this set.  Kind of cool to have the song of origin and then play the reworked riff together.   Tight composition here.  I like how they slam into

Julius

segue.  Rocking version and killer set placement.  Trey turns up the shreddage to 11 on this one. 

Camel Walk
YES! Major fucking bust out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1  Continuing with the theme of bringing that strong tot action, the boys deliver another heavy hitter.  I dig it.  Well placed.  Well played.  Way to bring it out of the woodwork.   :wtu:

Reba
Hot damn.  Soaring jam in this version.  Solid composition section.  It brought about some goosebumps as I listened to it.  Well done Phish. 

I Didn't Know
Meh.  I like this song but feel it was misplaced here.  They should of kept the energy going and the face melting going.  That being said, IDK is always a treat.  Good vac solo. 

::Rests::

Rift
Well played, very tight. 

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
I like the choice for set closer here.  Well played. 

Set I Analysis
Hot first set.  Div'd Sky through Reba is straight fucking heat.  I'm lovin it.  I could of done without the I didn't know, but I also get you need those sort of songs to balance the intensity of Phish.  So in retrospect it was well placed, and a nice breather. 

This really was just another night to them, like a lot of the shows summer and fall '95 the consistency and performance was through the roof.  For me the sound in this show is in essence my favorite style of Phish.  So I am going to be biased here.  I give this first set a solid A.  It had all a Phish set should have imo: tight performance, diverse style of songs, and some soaring jams. 

::set break::

Set II to follow................

Set II

Runaway Jim->
Great, great version.  Dark and psychedelic jam.  I like how this jam just weaves in and out of tension.  The whole band is on fire, and you really notice how well they are listening to each other in this version.  Killer segue into

Makisupa Policeman->
I'll take it here.  standard version. 

Scent of a Mule
Solid. 

Tweezer->
2nd big jam of the set.  fire.  killer version of Tweezer and I like how they segue into

Ha Ha Ha->
YES.  perfect placement.  tight version. 

Sleeping Monkey
solid.  well placed. 

Acoustic Army
well played.  standard version. 

Slave to the Traffic Light
Smoking Slave to close the set.  perfect ending to this set. 

Encore:

Halley's Comet
hot, nice drop into

Tweezer Reprise
tight version and perfect ending for this show.

Set II and Encore Analysis:
Set II picks up right where set I left off.  We get two huge jams and a great mix of standard songs.  this is the Phish I love.  solid A for set II. 

Show overall is an A, no doubt. 

great pick. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

1995-07-02
Sugarbush

Set 1

Sample - It's a rock song.

D. Sky - Sweet version. Totally the kind of stuff that sold me on this band so many years ago. Tight composition and mad energy.

Gumbo - Nothing like some old-fashioned Gumbo. That's good eatin'.

Curtain - Hell yeah. Ticght ver

Julius - rock song. cue the horns! What? No horns? Then why play it? Oh well. It still rocks.

Camel Walk - Wow. Fucking cool. Well played and tight.

Reba - Great version. Soaring is a good word for it. No whistling.

I Didn't Know - Pardon me Doug, is that your face melted there on the floor? This is perfectly placed for a set of psychedelic Phish.

Rift - They could have named this "Rippa!"

WMGGW - Nice version

khalpin

Sample: Unexciting opener but played well and with a nice solo.

Divided Sky: Here we go! Got a little out of sync there about a minute and a half in, but that's being picky. Otherwise, this is a real nice version.  Everything you'd want out of a Divided jam.

Gumbo: I've grown a bit tired of this one. Largely uneventful.

Curtain: I'll take a Curtain anywhere. Standard awesomeness here.

Julius: A strange one to come out of Curtain into. Have they ever done this again? (Checks ZZYZX....yes, one other time 12/28/95). Anyways, I'm a Julius fan. Nice Trey rippage.

Camel Walk: Bustout! How can you not love this? Pretty damn well played for having been on the shelf for 6 years.  Mike is on fire.

Reba: Super tight composed section.  Great majestic jam. Real nice moment when Trey goes from the heavy effects back to the regular tone ~9:00. Finishes off on a real nice high point. No whistling.

I Didn't Know: You knew that great string of tunes wasn't going to keep going forever.  Things loosen up for a couple minutes.

Rift: Fast and tight up until Trey has some trouble starting off the solo. Rages for a bit and then Trey botches the end of the solo. Fishman sounds fantastic throughout.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps: Cool to see this one close out the set, although it's a pretty concise version. 

A quality first set with a 4 song stretch in the middle that was fantastic.

Runaway Jim: This one's pretty standard fare up until the 9 minute mark where they start to get a little out there.  Certainly a unique version.  Good to hear them taking chances on this one.  They really get deep into that dark, dissonant area.  I don't say it often, but I really like this Jim.  The best way I could describe it is swaying in and out of madness.  It really progresses well.  It hits the peak around 17:00 and then mellows out into the reggae beat and they segue quite smoothly into:

Makisupa: Never been a fan of this, but that was a sweet seque into it.  Also has a cool effects-ridden jam coming out of it.  I like the contrast of Page still playing the funk on the clav whilst everything else gets crazy.

Scent of a Mule: Wow, didn't see this one coming.  Very strange placement.  Pretty standard.

Tweezer: Here we go!  Some entertaining screaming by Mike.  Page sounds real nice in between verses.  Mike has a funky, wah type effect going and is doing lots of slides here.  At points, it's almost like they're all jamming to a different song.  Rather chaotic.  This gets pretty out there, as well.  Then it returns ~10:00 to a more typical Tweezer jam.  Mike's really utilizing the effects on this.  They stop all of a sudden and begin to come out of the jam until Mike teases HA HA HA.  Then Trey joins in and they eventually go right into it.

HA HA HA: Love it.  Another great thing about summer '95.

Sleeping Monkey: Standard meh song with usual great, melodic solo.

Acoustic Army: Bringing things down for just a bit.

Slave: Nice.  Set closer I assume.  Classic build up here.  Real smooth and comes to a great peak to finish out the set.

Halley's: For an encore!  Sweet.  Sounded like a Simple tease to kick of the jam segment, which is uber-hot, btw.

Tweezer Reprise: Bummer, I was hoping for a longer Halleys' jam, that was showing a lot of promise.  Nonetheless, I can't complain about Tweezer Reprise.  Perfect way to end it.

This is certainly a great show with a bunch of highlights.  Camel Walk, Reba, Jim, Tweezer were all great.  For the most part, a real tight show with good, quality improv throughout.  What more can you ask for?  Solid A.  Nice pick!  Glad I finally got to check it out.

rowjimmy

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 15, 2009, 10:29:03 AM
1995-07-02
Sugarbush

Set 1

Sample - It's a rock song.

D. Sky - Sweet version. Totally the kind of stuff that sold me on this band so many years ago. Tight composition and mad energy.

Gumbo - Nothing like some old-fashioned Gumbo. That's good eatin'.

Curtain - Hell yeah. Tight ver

Julius - rock song. cue the horns! What? No horns? Then why play it? Oh well. It still rocks.

Camel Walk - Wow. Fucking cool. Well played and tight.

Reba - Great version. Soaring is a good word for it. No whistling.

I Didn't Know - Pardon me Doug, is that your face melted there on the floor? This is perfectly placed for a set of psychedelic Phish.

Rift - They could have named this "Rippa!"

WMGGW - Nice version

Set The Second

Runaway Jim - Good start. @ 6:30 Fish is beating the shit out of his kit and soon Trey is starting to slip off the map with his lead but not too far. breaks down ~9min to, well, a dark sorta jam. Energy stays up and we're in full blown 1995 mode here, folks. The jam shifts and modulates rapidly with each new idea that comes to their minds. This twists and turns right into

Makisupa - cool. standard with a nice clav outro.

Scent - Ripping... If you like this sort of thing.

Tweezer! - Nice! Mike has his slippery tone engaged and Trey is ready for liftoff straightaway. More monster '95 jamming. Love it

> Ha Ha Ha - Fuck yeah. This is exactly how and when this song should be played.

Sleeping Monkey - ahh... a little rest from the psychedelic fervor...

Acoustic Army - Summer 95 it is...

Slave - Man, this is pretty much exactly what Slave oughta be. Glorious and uplifting.

Encore:

Halley's Comet - Little Sing-along + boogie seems like it's gonna take off but slams straight into

Tweezer Rep - Rocks in standard, awesome, fashion.

This show is basically an ideal performance imo. Hot shit from a hot tour.
The only flaw that really jumps out at me is that I wasn't there.

Grade = Freakin' A.

Superfreakie

Poster Nutbag

1995-07-02
Sugarbush

Set 1

Sample in a Jar – I agree with Sophist, better than the last Sample opener... actually enjoyed this one...

Divided Sky – Great version, Trey plays it beautiful... Sets a nice tone for the energy of the first set...

Gumbo – Nice Gumbo, was hoping for Trey to feed me more of a hardcore funk jam, but still good... Loved the Pageified ending...

The Curtain – Was diggin` it... even if I was stuck without...

Julius – They rocked this one... Solid energy throughout... They rock out the news right here, and let you know they're gonna bring it...

Camel Walk – Oh Yeah!!! Strut your stuff all over this one... Its hot like ice!.. loving the show at this point...

Reba – Great Reba, The jam is always so soothing... solid climax at the end, they're just killing it thus far...

I Didn't Know – Although it was a quick change of pace, It gave me that queasy trip smile you sometimes see on Trey's face... Great way to lighten the mood with Fish's vacuum solo... Good Harmonies...

Rift – Right back into it... Its like the sound of a locomotive rolling down the tracks... Great version, Trey rips it...

WMGGW – Always love to hear Phish play this, They do such a great rendition of this song... Trey doesn't let you down on this one... sweet version...

Absolute killer first set!!! Love this show thus far... Incredible energy from start to finish, can't wait to dig into the second set... First set gets an easy A...
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

Poster Nutbag

1995-07-02
Sugarbush

Set 2

Runaway Jim – Awesome way to start out the second set after that killer!! First set... Nice jam in this one, rolled through many different changes... I seemed to catch a wiff of a scent like jam at about 11:30 and it was good... Page was solid, fo sho!!!

Makisupa – Very nice... Trey gets into this one a bit, nice guitar riffs...

Scent of a Mule – Solid scent, you know its all about Page in this one, and he delivers...

Tweezer > – Great jamming in this one, Keeps up to par with the rest of the show...

Ha Ha Ha – I loved the segue into this, as smooth as can be... Which just set this one up to sound great... I liked it!!

Sleeping Monkey – I love Sleeping Monkey... Fish's off key lyrics and Trey's guitar tone just send chills up & down my spine and this one is delightful...

Acoustic Army – Sweet intimate acoustic piece... sets up slave a little bit...

Slave – So beautiful!! This one just makes me want to set my soul to aim for the stars, very uplifting... 

Encore:

Halley's Comet – Solid Halley's, nothing off the charts, but still makes for a good encore...

Tweezer Reprise – They rock you right out the door with this one, great ending to a great show...

Great show... A sweet as pie pick if I must say so... Loved it... The show was just so solid that there really isn't a highlight that stands out, it was all really good and flowed beautifully... This show is all deserving of an A grade...

It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

Poster Nutbag

Can I please get reinstated... Just been buried the last few weeks with work and school... Finally caught a breather to get all my shit caught up, I will stay that way from here on out!!

Thanks, Todd