News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R8/W03: 07-02-1995 Sugarbush Summerstage, West Fayston, VT

Started by PIE-GUY, September 13, 2009, 03:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Augusto

Sample - Has opened 2/3 of this Round.  :wink:

Sky - Works nicely in the two slot. Nice composed section. Very ragin' jam with a ton o' notes.

Gumbo - Pretty "rare-ish" in '95. I like these older versions with the fade out.

Curtain - Weird placement but played well.

Julius - Was '94 or '95 the year of the Julius? This one shrages nicely.

Camel - Walk! Bustout! I remember being pretty stoked and PWN'n some neighbors with some wisdom. Yes, I was still PWN's n00bs @ 15 years old.  8-) Awesome kickout.

Reba - Nice tempo. I really like the interplay between Mike and Trey to start the jam. This one was a little too mellow or maybe just a little too knock-my-socks-off.

IDK - ::no notes::

Rift - Eh....pretty rough version all around.

WMGGW - I saw 4 shows this Summer. WMGGW or ADITL closed a set or appeared in the Encore at every show.

Jim - This one plays out like all the monster jams of the Summer but in half the time. Gets good and evil ~ 9 in. Plenty of oddities make this one hard to describe (or dance to) but it is a Top version of Jim.

Makisupa - Ok transition into this one. 420! Who-hoo! D4nK! Woo-hoo! Very sweet spaciness after Page's solo. Actually, really killer space. This is my highlight of the night. Aside from 11-19-1997, they didn't really take this way out there after '95.

Scent - Talk about horrible placement/buzzkill. Not what I wanted to hear out of the glorious space. '95 was the last year that the Duel was still kinda interesting, but it still was not a song I ever wanted to catch.

Tweezer - Jam starts out with a nice chord progression. ~8:45 is when they really take this out. Now, this one encapsulates all the noisy parts of the long jams from this Tour and puts them into one, concise version. The whole thing has a very frantic feel. I swear, I thought at one point that Akron/Family might have studied this version...

Ha Ha Ha - My first time hearing this. Ever. I had a list of the new songs during the shows I caught and slowly pieced them together. I kept wondering if each new song was the one called "Ha Ha Ha." I was pretty sure that this one was it.

Monkey - Of the sleepy variety+

Army - Summer '95 strikes back!

Slave - A good way to close out a night even if it wasn't a memorable rendish.

Halley's - Trey plays the Simple riff right as his solo starts. Totally ripping solo! Short, though, but ripping! Slams into >>>

Reprise - Obviuosly a nod to the Nassau encore.

Pretty good show. IMO, the band was losing steam as the Tour went on. This one isn't bad, just not one of my tops.
I give it a B.
a

Hicks

Aight, lets do this then since it's a must hear and all.

Not sure what's up with this AKG recording but the highs are pretty harsh/tin can-y, maybe they were just having problems from the PA cause there is a good amount of feedback in some spots.  I dunno, not the easiest tape to listen to, but enough bitching. 

Sample: Works well as an opener for me, plus Hoist was still the current studio album at the time.  Right into. . .

Divided Sky: your typically great version, Page is going nuts at the end of this.  Pretty long pause in there too.

Gumbo: Gumbo without the jam is a bit of a case of blue balls for me, but it is cool to hear Page do his thing at the end and he tears this one up as well.

Curtain: For some reason I never get sick of this and I'm pretty much always stoked to hear it.  Nice Gordo action here.

Julius:
Quote from: Hicks on November 02, 2008, 05:48:59 PM
Julius:  Was best in 94, confirmed.

This version was aight, but can't stand up to the ragers from the year before.  I guess I'm hearing the patch when it gets all muffly toward the end, wow, glad I'm not listening to that source. 

Camel Walk: A bustout of the highest order, I suppose if they played it now it would be a sweet kickdown since it was played a couple times in 04.  Either way, bring it back!  They have no trouble funking it out, despite the big gap, set highlight.

Reba:  They really take their time with the beginning of the jam, waiting for things to develop with Trey tastefully using the leslie.  The jam finally blossoms around the ten minute mark in no small part due to Mike pushing things forward.  Great sustained notes by Trey at the end, maybe could've gone on a bit longer, but a solid version nonetheless.

IDK: indeed they didn't

Rift:  whoa what happened there, even Page's solo was pretty limp, oh well.

WMGGW:  I don't know that they've ever completely nailed this, but this one is a good as any that I've heard.  Page's organ tone is on point and of course it's a great excuse to bustout the leslie again as it was one of the signatures of Harrison's sound on the later albums.

All in all a pretty solid first set except for Rift with a massive bustout, I give it a B+/A-

Jim:  I'm usually a Jim hater but it's impossible not to dig versions like this.  Trey starts to deviate from the Jim theme around the eight minute mark where Jim usually ends and then it gets really weird just past the nine minute mark with an atonal marching jam.  When things really break down Page keeps the jam from disintegrating completely continuing his bid for MVP of the night and then wisely moves over to the clav to keep things from getting monotonous.  Birds teases from Trey at around 12:50?   :wink:  Things continue in the typical chaos/dissonance jam for the rest of the duration with Trey laying down a loop and doing some scratching.  All in all a fun way to start the set.  Not on the same level of insanity as the Walnut Creek version a couple weeks earlier, but they capture a glimpse of that magic here.  Decent segue into. . .

Makisupa:  You can tell they are really feeling by now, this one gets quite a bit more out there than usual.  Is Trey telling Page to use a specific synth/setting when he says "apex" a la souncheck?  Pretty unusual if he is.  Really loose version, maybe one of my favorites of all time?  Strange segue into. . .

Mule:  f the haters, great version and sandwiched between a monster Jim>Makisupa and Tweezer something somewhat sane, but not really, may have been just what the doctor ordered.  Page keeps on pwning.

Tweezer:  Mike is saying something during the verses around the 2:30 mark but I can't quite make it out.  It also sounds like he's got the resonance turned up higher than usual on his filter effect which gives the jam a unique slippery quality and lets Page know that he won't be getting MVP honors without a battle.  They lock into a pretty killer heavy groove briefly around the 10 minute mark and then return to the Tweezer theme to rock that out too.  Gotta say that Mike really pwns this and that it's quite the heater, right into. . .

Ha Ha Ha:  weird effect on Trey's guitar to start this out, this is one that I would love to hear but you gotta wonder if the band even remembers that it exists, although it was played once in 03. 

Sleeping Monkey:  sounded like Caspian for a second, which would have been preferable, but then I guess Trey remembered that they played it the day before.  Oh well.

AA:  getting awfully schtick heavy here, with three joke songs in a row.   

Slave:  ahh now that's more like it.  Another one that benefits from the leslie that Trey was so in love with during summer 95, it would be cool to hear him use it more prominently again.  Really beautiful quiet part that seemed to last a little longer than usual, sweet high notes from Gordo too.  Set finishing perfection to really nail things home.

Halley's>Tweeprise:  is my idea of a great encore.  Cool little Simple tease there.

So two big jams, a killer Makisupa and Camel Walk were the clear highlights here.  Super solid, but I gotta say that it falls just short of legendary status for me on tape, although I'm sure attending it would have been a peak experience.  I give it an A-.  Thanks for motivating me to finally listen to it Pie-guy.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

G. Augusto

Quote from: Hicks on October 11, 2009, 09:48:20 PM
Ha Ha Ha:  weird effect on Trey's guitar to start this out, this is one that I would love to hear but you gotta wonder if the band even remembers that it exists, although it was played once in 03.

And once in 'o9... :wink:

rowjimmy

Quote from: G. Augusto on October 12, 2009, 02:47:47 AM

Everybody hates that show.
It's like it never happened.

blatboom

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 12, 2009, 07:05:02 AM
Quote from: G. Augusto on October 12, 2009, 02:47:47 AM

Everybody hates that show.
It's like it never happened.

wait, what show??

Hicks

But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

pnchundi

the 09 show? Merriweather was solid dudes, type I jamming, but solid.  Like old school phishes ala 91-92

rowjimmy

Hicks

Quote from: pnchundi on October 12, 2009, 02:34:20 PM
the 09 show? Merriweather was solid dudes, type I jamming, but solid.  Like old school phishes ala 91-92

I agree, I thought it was pretty solid too, and really enjoyed the 46 Days, Oh Sweet Nuthin, Harry Hood portion of the show.

pnchundi

wookies dont do comedy.

the 46 days was stellar.  It got out there in a way I was not expecting