News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R13/W02: 06-15-2011 Verizon Wireless Ampitheater at Encore Park, Alpharetta, GA

Started by sophist, October 17, 2011, 02:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

whatapiper

Paul and Silas - Great to hear and a surprise in the opening slot.   A bit rusty on the solo

Back on the Train - typical but I'll take it here over later in the set

Foam - I do enjoy some 3.0 versions but this falls flat overall. 

Water in the Sky - If you must

Jim - Fish seems to be having fun with this.   Descent start then Trey's tone destroys the solo.   A quick peak then...

Army of One - Really? never been a fan

Roses - stale overall, will Peaches get the this point?

Timber - Again starts nicely and sounds like things may go somewhere then Trey's tone gets painful again.   Mike and Page trying to build the jam but all I hear are screeching cats.

Mound - Dig it, if played well why not?   Slop right after Fish's intro and banter before the storm

Mound - not the smoothest transition back but I'm sure it was pretty dope live.

Tweezer - Here we go!.....nope.   After typical rock peak looking for the "jam" to really start, breakdown with Page pushing then forced into...

Julius- yawn, dig this song but not even close to here in this moment.

Slave - always a fan and pleasant overall

Bowie - extremely short intro and rushed overall.   Cringe worthy in parts of Trey's solo

Suzy - ouch, Page rage but.....

Jiboo - what set are we in?   Not feeling the flow of this set and a relatively flat Jiboo with a couple quick moments

Hood - Set is getting quite predictable here.  Always like a Hood, even with a Painful Mr. Minor section

Zero - Ugh, this is harder than I thought it would be

Birdwatcher - Ouch

Kung - where's my dark and psychedelic Kung?   Practicing for Sing-a-Long Phish?

Bitch - I'll take it but enough of the rock already, I get it the point

Reprise - Tweezer was so short and so many songs ago I forgot it happened

Overall it took me 4 times of listening to get through this.  Already in a funk because of their playing and this rubbed more salt into the wound.   Lack of imagination or spontaneity, I give it a D
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

DoW

My review may not show it , but the show was not as horrible as I was remembering it.  This was a show they just wanted to play to get through and end it.  I defended them after the webcast on that I gave them a pass because of the circumstances.  But there is definitely no excuse for the last half of the 2nd set.
Major props to sophist.  Can't get much more hate out of a show than this one.

Paul & Silas – nice opener.  Good way to start this show.
GBOTT – was just sort of there.  Nothing particularly wrong but really didn't do much for me.
Foam – just played through it to play it.
Water in the Sky – those Phish guys are clever.  Now let's end this so we can get to the Phsih show.
Jim – here is where you can tell the show was mailed in.  not particularly horrible but nothing going on.
Army of One – this is not exactly helping this show any.  Just not good at all.
Roses – this show feels like a studio album.
Timber – I liked this version.  Thought Trey did a nice job on this
Mound – cut short.  Maybe they'll go in at setbreak and regroup.

Mound – never really brought it back that well but it is understandable under the circumstances
Tweezer-starts to go there and you think this set may be it.  Then they just leave it, bring it down and then cut it off
Julius – meh.  Not a great 3.0 version of Julius.  They played it because they need to fill the setlist with songs.
Slave-nothing good to speak of here.  Uninspired
Bowie-think they wanted to end this show and rush through the rest of their songs at this point
Suzy-Page brings out the highlight of the night and Trey steps all over him and proceeds to laugh about it.  Really trey?  This show absolutely blows and you are laughing?  Maybe you can be a sit in in the crowd for sitcoms in your next life.  When they hold up the laugh sign, you can laugh.  It would have been the only thing you did right this night
Jibboo-not bad.  Not good.  Guess that is a good thing in this show
Hood-not very good.  No reason why hoods should not be better played.
Zero-this is about the worst thing my ears have ever heard.  This is absolutely horrible
Birdwatcher-the good news is that zero is now the second worst thing I have ever heard in my life.  Seriously guys?
Kung-they should have not even tried this crap and just went in and got through the encore.  This is ridiculous

Bitch-ok.  Not great but whatever.  Torture is almost over
Reprise-thank god this show is over.

D because I do think it was a tough show to play under the circumstances
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

susep

15June2011   Alpharetta, GA

I

Paul & Silas - weak Trey behind the scenes lick, Trey a little off w/ his chording, rythym slightly slower, mediocre Trey leads, no where near where he was on this tune in say '97, crowd lapping it up into

Back on The Train - this tune is infectious, dirty Trey lead in, this is Trey imitating Keith Richards, jam begins near 2:51, mellow noodling, repeat of choo choo near 4:20, Trey digs in near the end, sounds strained reaching for peaks he can no longer ascend, chunky outro,

Foam - louder than normal Mike, flat sound overall by the band whereas this tune demands proficiency otherwise it doesn't work as well as it should, they have fallen in a deep well, hitting on all cylinders near 4:00, Trey bringing it a little near 5:15, Page ripping it up ahead of Trey as they ascend, solid jam, solid opener in the third slot,

Water In The Sky - piss or smoke a bowl break, they should retire the slow version wtf?

Jim - Trey leads in near 4:26, solid Jim pocket, Fishman and Mike sound great here, Trey losing ideas, Fish responds as does Mike, thunderous pocket courtsey of Mike, fairly straight ahead towards the end, into

Army of One - yawn, would be debating about bolting for the doors.  reminds me of when they played it at IT

Roses - moving along into

Timber - I love this tune on any night, finally some meat or not?, Mike and Trey interplaying in a musical helix, nice jam, nice subtle intensity, Trey easily gets knocked off, he tries to recover but the opening beauty is lost, Mike picks up the pieces, they all circle back near 4:00 before Trey continues to attempt forays into the unkown, Page adding some nice organ blends, Trey reaching for the ceiling but not really getting there, extended outro(cool) into

Mound - nice variation by Trey near 2:24, nice lines/jam by Mike before Trey banter, "storm coming..."

II

Mound - Trey chording Mound back in, trippy way to drop into a set, not a big Mound fan(yawn) into

Tweezer - jam drops near 4:29, nice groove near 6:00, jam is absent of any real risk taking, Trey trying to add colors w/ straight ahead type I but it doesn't expand or shape the music, the band is caught in an improvisational vortex, as typical in 3.0 the last minute features the players letting go before they ripchord into

Julius - hey, how about another rock peak?, Trey leads in near 3:20, straight ahead, Trey finally catches Page's ear, Mike playing it fairly straight as well, he's been mostly mellow and not his rock star/ the new leader of improvisational 3.0 self, Trey machine guns out briefly into more of the same, time for a beer or a stroll into

Slave - not a big Slave fan particularly esp not in 3.0

Bowie - Fish quick, scratch, jam begins near 4:16, resolves near 4:36, subtle tease by Trey, cool jam near 5:37, Fish knocking at the improvisational door, Trey really doesn't have the ability to lead them into the higher improvisational peaks, he's more middle altitude, Mike solidifying, Trey sounding like his cliche Bowie self, no attempts in anything new, back into Bowie proper near 9:33, it goes to show you how they struggle w/ placing their 3.0 rock jam peak style in the context of some of their older jam power horses like Bowie and others.

Suzy - this set has zero flow and this tune blows when its placed wrong, more nostalgia, lapping it up,

Jibboo - Trey sounds a little fucked up in the intro chords, something is off here bigtime, jam begins near 2:51, loopage, Mike sounds annoyed in his playing, sharp, pointy edges, Trey sounding like his usual boring self, the other guys carry Trey, Trey has no game, he's done, cheesey chordal variation, yawn into

Hood - another sign of a bad set in 3.0, they drop in near 5:08, more straight ahead jamming, this is how Pearl Jam jams, everyone can play but there is no magic, Hood, Possum, most of their 3.0 stuff/jams all sound they same, they no longer push or pursue new musical boundaries

Zero - is how I feel about this tune

The Birdwatcher - release, giggly, not one of their best acapella into

Kung - get me the fuck out of here!

E

Funky Bitch - already on my way out

Tweezer reprise -

Overall the first set was better then the second and the first set wasn't that great.  My highlights from set 1 being the jams in Foam, Jim and parts of Timber.  Nothing impressed me in set 2 which is why I probably stopped listening after 11June.  Listening to this show reinforces my belief that Phish and more specifically Trey is done. 

D-/F+