News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/15 - Bader Field - Atlantic City, NJ - Post-Show Discussion

Started by whatapiper, June 15, 2012, 11:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

Quote from: goodabouthood on June 16, 2012, 11:08:14 AM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 16, 2012, 02:41:50 AM
Fuck me twice and sass me silly!  a 14 minute Birds!?!?!?!  FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we FINALLY fucking stop hating this band?  Please?  I mean, a 14 minute Birds for fucks sake.  14 MINUTE BIRDS!!!!!!!!!   WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!?!

vs.

QuoteSuch was the case with "Birds of a Feather," the centerpiece of the entire show, and easily the most astounding music we've heard from the band in some time. Completely comfortable with the most wide-open jamming, the band crafted an incredibly dense tale of sorcery out of a song they hadn't touched in eons. Launching far from song structure and into a pure, Phish-wonderland, the band carved out completely original, and incredibly dense music for what seemed like an eternity. At ease where he once winced, Trey laid notably back at the onset of this jam, allowing Mike to lead the way into unknown territory with an assault of sublime bass lines. As Page and Fish were totally enmeshed with the group, at this juncture Phish transformed into modern day shamans, invoking spiritual revelations to anyone who had an open ear. This is the stuff of legends, when the guys come together to create music that one could never imagine. Again, this is why we come. It seems that anyone who has put any time into this band in past couple years will be getting their payoff in droves this summer, as the guys are on a totally enhanced level of communication—only four shows into tour—than we have seen anytime recently. The music is flowing effortlessly again, and when the band is moving as one, like they were last night, nothing in the universe can stop them.

in regards to substance the above proves that length does not make a difference.

hmmm, gumbo vs miner.  i'm not sure which one to believe less.

Hicks

Quote from: goodabouthood on June 16, 2012, 11:08:14 AM

QuoteSuch was the case with "Birds of a Feather," the centerpiece of the entire show, and easily the most astounding music we've heard from the band in some time. Completely comfortable with the most wide-open jamming, the band crafted an incredibly dense tale of sorcery out of a song they hadn't touched in eons. Launching far from song structure and into a pure, Phish-wonderland, the band carved out completely original, and incredibly dense music for what seemed like an eternity. At ease where he once winced, Trey laid notably back at the onset of this jam, allowing Mike to lead the way into unknown territory with an assault of sublime bass lines. As Page and Fish were totally enmeshed with the group, at this juncture Phish transformed into modern day shamans, invoking spiritual revelations to anyone who had an open ear. This is the stuff of legends, when the guys come together to create music that one could never imagine. Again, this is why we come. It seems that anyone who has put any time into this band in past couple years will be getting their payoff in droves this summer, as the guys are on a totally enhanced level of communication—only four shows into tour—than we have seen anytime recently. The music is flowing effortlessly again, and when the band is moving as one, like they were last night, nothing in the universe can stop them.

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice. . .     you're not gonna fool me again!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Multibeast12

So......is this show worth downloading, seems like Set II has potential but it is 3.0

whatapiper

I'm stoked to spin this show tonight following the LST.  14 minute Birds has me pumped along with some positive reviews by friends in attendance.  As long as they keep building on this theme of attempting to jam I just can't spit out the hate, yet.  We asked for longer jams and less covers and we are getting it so far.  Whether or not the jams materialize is secondary to the effort at this point IMO. 
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Marmar

Sloth - Standard fare as far as Sloth goes...not too bad.

MSO- meh....

46 Days - Not bad if you're into the rawk peek.....

Camel Walk - Not too shabby....not as tight as it could be....

Tube - Interesting segments in the middle.....still too damn short.

Cities - Phish can't play slow funk as effectively as they once could.....very bored sounding version.

Ice - There is no segue...that is a hard stop. Nice to hear it have some life. Trey is very clean on the composed lines....nice to hear for a change! Page shines.

Ginseng - Standard fare....nothing to see here.

Stash - A whole lot of missed potential. Uninteresting jam. Dare I say "filler"....

Simple - Standard fare as far as Simple goes.....some very melodic phrases on everyones part....not bad in a nutshell.

The Wedge - Best sounding one I've heard since the old days....usually a struggle vocally, but this one sounded decent.

Faulty - Never liked the song, never will.

Coil - Decent choice to end the set......

My Soul - Blues to warm-up.....

BoaF - Sometimes people build you up just so they can knock you down......Sounds like a re-work of the arrangement to an extent.....and then at 5 minutes in Trey loses it, loses all touch with reality....ouch, to hear people cheer that slop....I get he's trying to add tension, but it's so far off from where it needs to be to add tension without sounding bad......6 minutes in it gets someplace spatially, but it sounds slightly disjointed before they settle in somewhat around the 8 minute mark.....glimpses of what used to be....Fishman sounds much more comfortable letting loose and going with it.....

BOTT - Now THAT was a segue proper. Dig the staccato playing to come to the end.

Heavy Things - I hear ya Trey, but there's no oomph in your phrasing....and that was a WEAK ending.

Twist - The Mike and Fish show....those two are into each others heads and it shows.....almost a Santana tease at about 6:15 on the AUD.......

Piper - Ummm......yeah....no thanks......when it finally catches a decent groove at about 8 minutes in, it's too late.....

Billy - Pretty.....

Sally - Page layin it thick.....quasi-vocal jam segment is cool....

Bowie - I hold this song to a high standard....The composed section is a lil slow, but nothing is missed.....fairly tame Bowie by my standards....

First Tube - Encore Fare.

I dunno.....It does look excellent on paper, and after hearing it it isn't that bad of a show....no real risks taken so the payoff wasn't great.....c'mon guys yer in AC, take a gamble!.....There is a lack of oomph to an extent, but overall the playing isn't that bad, considering.....as for a quasi-festival set, I'd be kinda let down if I was there. Ya kinda expect them to bring some heat, and while this is warm it isn't hot by any stretch......

YMMV
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

danje

I was tripping pretty hard but i thought the 2nd set was really sick.

birdman

Quote from: Marmar on June 16, 2012, 12:39:59 PM
Sloth - Standard fare as far as Sloth goes...not too bad.

MSO- meh....

46 Days - Not bad if you're into the rawk peek.....

Camel Walk - Not too shabby....not as tight as it could be....

Tube - Interesting segments in the middle.....still too damn short.

Cities - Phish can't play slow funk as effectively as they once could.....very bored sounding version.

Ice - There is no segue...that is a hard stop. Nice to hear it have some life. Trey is very clean on the composed lines....nice to hear for a change! Page shines.

Ginseng - Standard fare....nothing to see here.

Stash - A whole lot of missed potential. Uninteresting jam. Dare I say "filler"....

Simple - Standard fare as far as Simple goes.....some very melodic phrases on everyones part....not bad in a nutshell.

The Wedge - Best sounding one I've heard since the old days....usually a struggle vocally, but this one sounded decent.

Faulty - Never liked the song, never will.

Coil - Decent choice to end the set......

My Soul - Blues to warm-up.....

BoaF - Sometimes people build you up just so they can knock you down......Sounds like a re-work of the arrangement to an extent.....and then at 5 minutes in Trey loses it, loses all touch with reality....ouch, to hear people cheer that slop....I get he's trying to add tension, but it's so far off from where it needs to be to add tension without sounding bad......6 minutes in it gets someplace spatially, but it sounds slightly disjointed before they settle in somewhat around the 8 minute mark.....glimpses of what used to be....Fishman sounds much more comfortable letting loose and going with it.....

BOTT - Now THAT was a segue proper. Dig the staccato playing to come to the end.

Heavy Things - I hear ya Trey, but there's no oomph in your phrasing....and that was a WEAK ending.

Twist - The Mike and Fish show....those two are into each others heads and it shows.....almost a Santana tease at about 6:15 on the AUD.......

Piper - Ummm......yeah....no thanks......when it finally catches a decent groove at about 8 minutes in, it's too late.....

Billy - Pretty.....

Sally - Page layin it thick.....quasi-vocal jam segment is cool....

Bowie - I hold this song to a high standard....The composed section is a lil slow, but nothing is missed.....fairly tame Bowie by my standards....

First Tube - Encore Fare.

I dunno.....It does look excellent on paper, and after hearing it it isn't that bad of a show....no real risks taken so the payoff wasn't great.....c'mon guys yer in AC, take a gamble!.....There is a lack of oomph to an extent, but overall the playing isn't that bad, considering.....as for a quasi-festival set, I'd be kinda let down if I was there. Ya kinda expect them to bring some heat, and while this is warm it isn't hot by any stretch......

YMMV
I think you need to relisten to its Ice. Trainwreck
Paug FTMFW!

Augustus

Thrillhouse

Listened to the show this morning and had mixed feelings about it....texted Dirtbag georgey to say a few things and he summed it up nicely.

"Some good points, some bad points, but it all worked out."

choo choo
Quote from: bvaz on February 14, 2012, 02:59:09 PM
I can only imagine how much I would hate people at an event like 'roo.

Pebbles and marbles, like things on my mind...

mehead

this first tube is ruff 

too bad cuz I dig first tube encores
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

birdman

Mcgrupp said he felt like a real vet because we left the show immediately when First Tube began.
Paug FTMFW!

Augustus

Quote from: birdman on June 16, 2012, 04:05:46 PM
Mcgrupp said he felt like a real vet because we left the show immediately when First Tube began.

Good move.
How long did it take to get a cab?

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

Thrillhouse

Quote from: bvaz on February 14, 2012, 02:59:09 PM
I can only imagine how much I would hate people at an event like 'roo.

Pebbles and marbles, like things on my mind...