News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Gun Talk Re: have you heard about...?

Started by emay, July 20, 2012, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: gah on February 15, 2018, 11:11:36 AM
Just another day in America.

I know this may provoke Jimbo to chime in but I have about 15 - 20 friends who are teachers. Many of whom are really close friends so I've heard the really crazy stories. A good buddy I go to shows with frequently is a resource teacher for one kid. The 14 yr old is constantly attacking him with chairs, screwdrivers, any object he can get his hands on. We have an all inclusion policy in the province I live in so the kid keeps getting brought back into school. His mom is just as batshit crazy as him so she keeps bringing him back and blaming it on the school/system or wtv. He is just one of thousands of troubled students across Canada that given the opportunity, could do something as horrific as what happened in Florida yesterday. The one massive difference that I can tell, which is my point, is that they can't access a firearm, let alone an AK-47. Every person who owns a firearm in this country has to have it under lock and key constantly.
There is no excuse for this shit imho.

ETA. Gun was an AR-15

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

tet

it should be pretty telling that I had conversations with my friends in South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe this morning and EACH ONE is in shock that this shit is still happening in America. even in Africa, they don't have to deal with this... 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

sls.stormyrider

Jimmy Kimmel last nigh

Quote"Your party voted to repeal the mandates on coverage for mental health," Kimmel said. "So I agree, this is a mental illness issue because if you don't think we need to do something about it, you are obviously mentally ill."
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

khalpin

I just found out that one of my high school classmates is the mother of one of the kids killed in Florida yesterday.

antelope19

Quote from: khalpin on February 16, 2018, 06:43:25 PM
I just found out that one of my high school classmates is the mother of one of the kids killed in Florida yesterday.

Oh man....I am so sorry.

This is all so insane to me, I don't know where to begin. How many more times?

Do I write my congressman?
Do I tweet our President?

I am terrified for my kids to get To the age where they have to go to school.

How many more times? What's it going to take to make a change?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mbw

Quote from: antelope19 on February 16, 2018, 08:52:25 PM

Yes

Do I tweet our President?

Clearly useless.

Eta:  also, vote out all the politicians beholden to the NRA, and not to the safety of your kids.

sls.stormyrider

Think about it
It's easier for someone mentally ill to buy a gun then to get health care
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Marmar

Quote from: slslbs on February 17, 2018, 12:24:45 AM
Think about it
It's easier for someone mentally ill to buy a gun then to get health care

:clap:
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

mbw

Bobafett

The situation is so fucked that it's time for more stringent requirements for gun ownership.  Why do our kids all hold a love for guns and freedoms?  I grew up loving the Wild West mentality, but perhaps that has indoctrinated our culture?

The NRA is a fucked politically motivated association that puts out more fake news than any other entity that I've seen.  I'm a gun owner and a gun advocate.  My gfs dad is a card holding member who feeds me American rifleman magazines and sporting news and so forth, but they are all full of some nut job nra propaganda that touts such a far right agenda that I can't even look at them and learn anything of value.  Such mindless dribble that makes STS9 or disco biscuits lyrics sound like peaceful elevator music.

We need to change this but it will be an uphill battle that will require both sides to be open to the möbius model of dialogue which will never happen.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

gah

Quote from: mbw on February 16, 2018, 09:59:50 PM

Yes

Eta:  also, vote out all the politicians beholden to the NRA, and not to the safety of your kids.

these things.

The fact that schools nowadays have lock down drills for active shooter scenarios is.....insane.  :shakehead:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

birdman

Quote from: gah on February 19, 2018, 10:22:06 AM

Yes

these things.

The fact that schools nowadays have lock down drills for active shooter scenarios is.....insane.  :shakehead:
Youshould see the ALICE drills that my wife, a kindergarten teacher, and her colleagues have to endure. They instruct them how to barricade against and defend against active shooters. It involves police officers forcibly entering their classrooms and "killing" them with a yardstick. Horrifying for anyone. Now imagine them instructing her how to teach 5 year olds to go on the offensive in last ditch efforts. This whole situation is unimaginable, but here we are.
Paug FTMFW!

kellerb

If I'm in Kindergarten and an active shooter situation occurs during a cold-war nuclear attack via best-korea provoked by trump tweet, which branch of my school-mass-murder decision-tree do I use? Do I continue to hide under my desk to minimize radiation?  Do I hide underneath the corpses of my classmates and pretend to be dead?  Will my classmates' corpses provide adequate shielding from nuclear blast radiation?  Will the bomb potentially kill the shooter?  Maybe pop his many bullets/magazines? If I survive should I feel guilty because I wore Tommy's bullet-shattered skull as extra radiation protection, even though we were going to go to his house for a sleepover?

Asking for my two-year-old.

gah

Quote from: birdman on February 19, 2018, 12:12:18 PM

Yes

these things.

Youshould see the ALICE drills that my wife, a kindergarten teacher, and her colleagues have to endure. They instruct them how to barricade against and defend against active shooters. It involves police officers forcibly entering their classrooms and "killing" them with a yardstick. Horrifying for anyone. Now imagine them instructing her how to teach 5 year olds to go on the offensive in last ditch efforts. This whole situation is unimaginable, but here we are.

I admit, I just had to look up ALICE drills, and didn't even know these drills existed until this weekend. How fucking insane is that this is the world we live in today? And talk about mental illness...you think this isn't contributing to an entire generation of kids growing up with some level of PTSD, and/or constant state of fear that something like this could happen in their schools, wtf! And I KNOW I can't be the only one that has had that thought run across my mind, even in passing, while at a concert, or a movie theater, or a crowded festival or outdoor event, that some shit like that could go down. It might be an irrational fear, and infinitesimally small chance of ever occurring, but I'd be lying if I said I've never thought that. And you got kids growing up with that kind of shit?  :shakehead:

MAGA! 'Murica!
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

khalpin

Quote from: gah on February 19, 2018, 01:00:09 PM
Quote from: birdman on February 19, 2018, 12:12:18 PM

Yes

these things.

I admit, I just had to look up ALICE drills, and didn't even know these drills existed until this weekend. How fucking insane is that this is the world we live in today? And talk about mental illness...you think this isn't contributing to an entire generation of kids growing up with some level of PTSD, and/or constant state of fear that something like this could happen in their schools, wtf! And I KNOW I can't be the only one that has had that thought run across my mind, even in passing, while at a concert, or a movie theater, or a crowded festival or outdoor event, that some shit like that could go down. It might be an irrational fear, and infinitesimally small chance of ever occurring, but I'd be lying if I said I've never thought that. And you got kids growing up with that kind of shit?  :shakehead:

MAGA! 'Murica!
I think of it anytime I'm at a concert or sporting event.

On another note, I found out yesterday how easy it is to call your congressman. Dial 202-224-3121 and enter your zip code.  That's it.