News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Operation Every Phish Show HDD BP and other Every Show Discussions...

Started by mbwoellert41, March 27, 2010, 09:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaced

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 27, 2011, 12:54:56 AM
spaced - if whatapiper can't filll this I can, he got his from mine. Mine is all original filesets and multiple sources for every night (shn and flac) and a 2 TB would cover it all. And there will be no 3.0 cause I only collect 3.0 "good shows" and "stellar recordings". But I live in Canada so best hit up whatapiper first. (reduced shipping cost)

That sounds amazing. You are guys are the best! I'm still waiting for my RMA replacement HD, so once I get that (this coming week probably) I'll be in contact with you or whatapiper.

CRAZYED

Whatapiper also has a copy of the phishvault i put together which is cleaned up and standardized.  Everything is flac and tagged properly and if you have an internet connection you can stay sync'd up with the master copy of the vault.  A new show comes out you get the update.  If you are buying a new drive I would go 3tb, as 2tb is going to be out grown very soon.  All phish shows and and MANY side projects and guest appearances are covered, 83-UIC 2011.

spaced

Quote from: CRAZYED on August 29, 2011, 09:52:21 AM
Whatapiper also has a copy of the phishvault i put together which is cleaned up and standardized.  Everything is flac and tagged properly and if you have an internet connection you can stay sync'd up with the master copy of the vault.  A new show comes out you get the update.  If you are buying a new drive I would go 3tb, as 2tb is going to be out grown very soon.  All phish shows and and MANY side projects and guest appearances are covered, 83-UIC 2011.

I'm stuck with the 2TB for now, since I'm just getting an RMA for one I bought already. I'm not totally clear on the differences between your drive and SF's. Are there multiple sources? Does it fit all on 2TB (sounds like you are saying it does now but won't soon)? If everything is retagged and in flac, I'm guessing these aren't the original etree filesets, right?

twatts

Quote from: CRAZYED
phishvault

I need to take care of this when I get home from vacation... 

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

Superfreakie

Quote from: spaced on August 30, 2011, 10:15:01 PM
Quote from: CRAZYED on August 29, 2011, 09:52:21 AM

I'm stuck with the 2TB for now, since I'm just getting an RMA for one I bought already. I'm not totally clear on the differences between your drive and SF's. Are there multiple sources? Does it fit all on 2TB (sounds like you are saying it does now but won't soon)? If everything is retagged and in flac, I'm guessing these aren't the original etree filesets, right?

I believe this is correct. Also, I'm not entirely sure is crazyed's collection is multiple sources or if his 3.0 includes 24 bit. If it's not multiple sources, I'd be interested to hear who decided what source was best for any given night.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

CRAZYED

There are multiple sources for many shows.  Like in the earlier years there are auds and sbds when available.  Many shows there are multiple auds.  There was never any A/B comparisons done to say "this is the best source", this one sucks so it's not good enough for the vault.  Listeners can do that on their own, I was never one to judge but I didn't just download every last source just for the sake of having it all.  It's not just about quantity, it's about quality and organization.

This project is for the phan who wants a nice clean collection that is standardized and tagged and modernized for playback on medialess playback devices like ipods, boxee boxes, plex, htpc, and all of other playback devices that read meta data.  Everything is flac with the highest compression.  It all fits nice and neat on a 2tb drive, however it does continue to grow and like I said if i was buying a drive today i'd go with a 3tb.  The band is still touring, tons of the hard working people in the community keep pumping out more and more sources, this thing grows daily.  There are over 500 side projects and phish member guest appearances also included.  ohead, tab, gordo, you name it, it's there.

3.0 is included, 24 bit available.  An mp3 320 version is also available. 

The biggest obstacle with the drive i made is once someone sent it to me for a B&P, the minute i shipped it back, I already had a ton of new shows for the phishvault.  Just because lets say a new show gets seeded on etree, doesnt mean everyone can go grab it from etree and put it in there vault.  I mean they could but it wont be the same.  Most shows on etree are not tagged by default, many seeders just dont care about tags.  So that was a huge obstacle.  This year the vault now has a mechanism to distribute updates to the phishvault The mechanism is bt using the gazelle code from what.cd, and scripts have been created so once a new show is posted, it can be automatically downloaded into your own personal vault.  It's still a bit of a work in process but its amazing how it's all come together.  More like totally sick.  Even simple tagging corrections or fixes or updates can easily be pushed to the network of users with the vault (200+ now).

These are not "original" etree filesets.  I took etree sources, converted them directly to flac and added tagging, no audible changes were made.  If you are the guy who needs to hold some old shn files and can't sleep at night because you are worried about your md5 checksums not being accurate or something and wont match db.etree.org, yeah stay away from the phishvault its just not for you.

I have never ever heard a single complaint about the phishvault, most peoples minds are pretty much blown away by the amount of effort, detail and organization that has gone into this project.   In my opinion it's the most organized, complete and cleaned up copy of phish's catalog available.  You can listen to any song from any show in about 3 clicks of your mouse.

PIE-GUY

So, who wants to do a heady B&P for PG? This vault sounds yummy!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

CRAZYED

Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 02, 2011, 10:30:05 AM

Whats your fancy besides pie.....guy?

Flac or mp3.  Send me a PM I will hook you up if you wish.

whatapiper

i can fill the drive as well, with summer about over and school starting the turn around time will be quick

Ed, I will get to some of my other obligations asap! Bear with me!
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

PIE-GUY

Quote from: CRAZYED on September 02, 2011, 10:45:59 AM

You know, I've been a low-impact mp3 guy forever, but I am about to embark on a major stereo upgrade in the next year or so... perhaps now is the time to start the flac collection and do it right. I'd say every phish show is a good "start" to the collection. I need to buy a 3TB now. can it be a mac format?

CRAZYED

I have a PC so I guess, if i plug it in I have to be able to work with it, depends if you can do the same when you get it back.  I dont know enough about MAC / PC cross.  Send me a PM with your email address please.

Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 02, 2011, 11:01:03 AM
Quote from: CRAZYED on September 02, 2011, 10:45:59 AM

You know, I've been a low-impact mp3 guy forever, but I am about to embark on a major stereo upgrade in the next year or so... perhaps now is the time to start the flac collection and do it right. I'd say every phish show is a good "start" to the collection. I need to buy a 3TB now. can it be a mac format?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: CRAZYED on September 02, 2011, 11:14:16 AM
I have a PC so I guess, if i plug it in I have to be able to work with it, depends if you can do the same when you get it back.  I dont know enough about MAC / PC cross.  Send me a PM with your email address please.

PC should work just fine, I think. The mac will read it.

whatapiper

Mac to Mac is better IMO, getting a PC formatted and filled drive creates a minor issue.  Adding to the vault is difficult as is any type of renaming files(not that I would)
beginning to end
we belong

CRAZYED

Quote from: whatapiper on September 02, 2011, 11:33:52 AM
Mac to Mac is better IMO, getting a PC formatted and filled drive creates a minor issue.  Adding to the vault is difficult as is any type of renaming files(not that I would)

were you ever able to get all sync'd up and update your phishvault to the latest and greatest?  Did you have any issues?

whatapiper

^^ with summer about over, my son back in school and a day off to myself, I'll be sync'd in no time
beginning to end
we belong