News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Twin Peaks and The X-Files

Started by mistercharlie, May 19, 2015, 12:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

Quote from: ytowndan on July 15, 2017, 12:25:51 PM
Has anyone else been watching the new Twin Peaks?  The tone is very different than the original.  It seems like they dialed down the camp and cranked up the surrealism.  I'm sure some (many?) people may prefer the quirky, soap opera vibe of the OG, but I much prefer the darker, more experimental vibe of this new one.  For example, Episode 8 went full blown fever dream for about 45 minutes straight and it was amazing (no way they could have gotten away with that on ABC in 1990).

What do you guys think?

It's insanely brilliant experimental genius. It's like nothing else. It's not TV. It's not a movie. It's David Lynch let loose to tell a story exactly how he wants to tell it. I'm loving every second. As he put it, it's an 18 hour movie broken up in to one hour parts. It's hilarious reading people on line attempting to write standard TV episode recaps of each part. They don't know what to do with themselves. This isn't some dumb mystery you're supposed to solve, and it's not commenting on current TV or whatever other bullshit. It's just Lynch taking his time telling the story he needs to tell (and not to leave Mark Frost out, who wrote the story with Lynch. But let's face it, this is Lynch's way of telling it, 100%).

The original show is still great in the first season, and the episodes Lynch directed in season 2 are awesome. The one that really blew me away rewatching it a couple months ago was the season 2 opener. It's got everything, from bizarre terror, to dream sequences, to slapstick comedy. Look how he opens it--with an almost fifteen minute scene of Cooper lying on the floor talking first to an old waiter and then to a dream giant. And this was at the height of Twin Peaks fever, with all those cliff-hangers waiting to be answered, everyone was tuning in to this episode--and Lynch does THAT for fifteen minutes. That's some serious balls.

Anyway. This new show is beyond balls. It's like Lynch went straight from Eraserhead to this.

ytowndan

I was behind on this for a bit, but I got caught up in time for the finale which I thought was great. 

Can't wait for season four in 2042!!!  :wink:
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

rowjimmy

Haven't read posts on the new series yet because I'm only on part five.
I just rewatched the OG series and Fire Walk With Me in preparation for this. It's been a hell of a ride.