News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

MLB 2017

Started by mattstick, March 07, 2017, 07:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

Been up early the past two days to watch WBC games from Asia.  Tons of fun.

DoW

I've been doing the same.  having work done at the house this morning so I am able to stay home a little later to watch this Cuba vs. Japan game.
I've been dying for real baseball much sooner than normal this year.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

antelope19

So it's safe to say you're fans of the baseball classic?

I honestly haven't made up my mind yet, but I know I'd have a big problem with my franchise player getting hurt in a bunch of games that mean absolutely nothing.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mattstick

Guys get hurt in Spring Training too. WBC is a better as an idea than its execution but still fun to watch International "best-on-best"

DoW

there are pitch counts for pitchers.
it gets players to get more focused for playing games right now and ideally make them more ready for the first week of April.
it can also open up a chance for a younger player to get more Spring Training action with your team if the normal position player is off playing for Team USA or whatever team.  more games = more people playing.

injuries are a concern but as a fan, these are enjoyable games to watch.  it's just extra baseball for me to watch.  I'll never complain about that.

DoW

Watching the US vs DR game last night was a prime example of what the WBC is great. You won't see a game That intense until October.  Going to be an interesting day today to see who advances (or who gets a play in) to advance to San Diego.

mattstick

I watched last night until Stroman left the game, weird but fun to watch one of your "big game" guys wearing a different uniform and pitching like it's the playoffs in March.

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on March 23, 2017, 07:52:17 AM

I watched last night until Stroman left the game, weird but fun to watch one of your "big game" guys wearing a different uniform and pitching like it's the playoffs in March.

I'll admit I got into the WBC at the end.....but now it's back to reality. Yes, I was rooting for Stroman last night, but now he's dead to me.  :-D

pcr3

Quote from: antelope19 on March 23, 2017, 01:13:23 PM
Quote from: mattstick on March 23, 2017, 07:52:17 AM

I'll admit I got into the WBC at the end.....but now it's back to reality. Yes, I was rooting for Stroman last night, but now he's dead to me.  :-D

:-D Same for me.

And now I will be rooting for Chris Sale. Can't wait for opening day!
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

antelope19

I love Opening Day no matter what, but beating a division rival in extra innings makes it really sweet.

Sorry, Matt.

emay

Quote from: antelope19 on April 03, 2017, 11:15:19 PM
I love Opening Day no matter what, but beating a division rival in extra innings makes it really sweet.

Sorry, Matt.

good win, watched at work!

mattstick

Fun game, Jays had some chances against the tough O's bullpen.  Too bad the Jays couldn't get it to Ubaldo in the 11th.

The schedule has let the O's manipulate their roster so they had a slight advantage in a long game like that... Estrada was dealing late in the game - struck out 5 out of 6 at one point. 

All that said, I'd rather win in extras in the WC game than on Opening Day :)

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on April 04, 2017, 11:45:54 AM

Fun game, Jays had some chances against the tough O's bullpen.  Too bad the Jays couldn't get it to Ubaldo in the 11th.

The schedule has let the O's manipulate their roster so they had a slight advantage in a long game like that... Estrada was dealing late in the game - struck out 5 out of 6 at one point. 

All that said, I'd rather win in extras in the WC game than on Opening Day :)

Lol, knew that was coming. And you'd be 100% correct. It still stings.

VDB

If you'll allow a brief MiLB post here, I'd just like to say I was sitting behind the plate last night when Tim Tebow went yard in his first at bat.

Praise be.
Is this still Wombat?

antelope19

Matt,

Do you know anything about this Miguel Castro kid?  Apparently he was a piece of the Tulowitzki trade from the Jays.  22 years old and can throw 97. We got him for a bag of balls. Guess it's worth a shot.