News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: jedifunk on March 08, 2009, 11:04:47 AM
phish ain't back if they can't jam...

we talked about this in the car, today....
i think they were just throwing heavy hitters out, not really jamming.
antelope pointed this out and i agree.

but it was a great two nights for me.
some i'll not forget in a long time....
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

redrum

phish ain't back

:roll:

:lol: :lol:
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

jedifunk

Quote from: redrum on March 09, 2009, 01:41:59 PM
phish ain't back

:roll:

:lol: :lol:
mock it all you want, but i stand by it... i didn't hear anything to make me feel like they are "Back"...

yes, they are playing again, and yes this weekend laid a very very solid foundation for the future, but IMO they are far from back.

and thats OK... i'm cool with that.  they need time.  think about it, they haven't played or thought about most of these tunes in 5 yrs.  thats a long time to forget stuff.

i just think that after a couple listens of the weekend, that they've still got a lot of remembering to do.  i felt like they had trouble remembering how most songs even started.  i noticed it every night and on at least 70% of the songs... they just didn't even know how to get the songs going.  add in the lack of jamming and they've got a ways to go.

in any case, i'm certainly not a hater, and hope against hope that they get back to where they belong... but there was no "it" in the music IMO.

take it for what its worth... especially coming from someone who wasn't there.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Ri©h

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on March 09, 2009, 01:12:47 PM
ok, so from the perspective of not being there and not having the energy of a show surrounding me....

i'd say these shows are very meh... night 1 was a butcher shop IMO.  fluff & divided both had cringe worthy moments.  to their benefit it got better as the night went on, and the YEM was pretty hot.

i'm keeping an open mind, but i'm guessing this 2nd night isn't even the best PH show.  as Aug says, paper tiger... yes, its a fantasy set, but there are ZERO jams.

sorry to sound negative, but i think this thread and this board need a reality check

yuck.  this is what i was afraid of.  fwiw, i haven't listened yet.

So, based on one man's opinion out of the thousands that were there and the thousands of us that have listened, all you can muster up is "yuck"...?

Listen to the shows and form your own opinion. These shows weren't nearly as bad as some are making them out to be.

And this... 

Quotephish ain't back if they can't jam...

...is just absolute nonsense.  It's funny how quick people are to point out the band's weaknesses and even quicker to leave the good points completely alone. "Oh, Trey missed a change" ..."Page had to pull that one out for them" ..."Fish is off in his own world again".  Come on.   :roll:

Phish didn't even start jamming until around 1994-95 with a few exceptions before then.  From 1983-1994(ish), 11+ years, they were a rock band. Not a jam band.

I have no issue with them returning to what they once were and then building upon it and finding their groove again. I mean, it's not as if they just took the last 4.5 years off or anything.  The first time I saw them they were a rock band and they rocked my socks off.

Go read some of the setlists prior to 94-95.  A 12-15 song first set wasn't uncommon. I'd rather see them rock out then get up there and go right back to post-hiatus wankery. Which is what 95% of post-hiatus was.

5 years ago most of us were heart broken that they were calling it quits.  Let's just let them do their thing and be glad they even came back at all.

redrum

Quote from: Rich on March 09, 2009, 02:01:49 PM

So, based on one man's opinion out of the thousands that were there and the thousands of us that have listened, all you can muster up is "yuck"...?

Listen to the shows and form your own opinion. These shows weren't nearly as bad as some are making them out to be.

And this... 

...is just absolute nonsense.  It's funny how quick people are to point out the band's weaknesses and even quicker to leave the good points completely alone. "Oh, Trey missed a change" ..."Page had to pull that one out for them" ..."Fish is off in his own world again".  Come on.   :roll:

Phish didn't even start jamming until around 1994-95 with a few exceptions before then.  From 1983-1994(ish), 11+ years, they were a rock band. Not a jam band.

I have no issue with them returning to what they once were and then building upon it and finding their groove again. I mean, it's not as if they just took the last 4.5 years off or anything.  The first time I saw them they were a rock band and they rocked my socks off.

Go read some of the setlists prior to 94-95.  A 12-15 song first set wasn't uncommon. I'd rather see them rock out then get up there and go right back to post-hiatus wankery. Which is what 95% of post-hiatus was.

5 years ago most of us were heart broken that they were calling it quits.  Let's just let them do their thing and be glad they even came back at all.

+K
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

fauxpaxfauxreal

ok, so from the perspective of not being there and not having the energy of a show surrounding me....

i'd say these shows are very meh... night 1 was a butcher shop IMO.  fluff & divided both had cringe worthy moments.  to their benefit it got better as the night went on, and the YEM was pretty hot.

i'm keeping an open mind, but i'm guessing this 2nd night isn't even the best PH show.  as Aug says, paper tiger... yes, its a fantasy set, but there are ZERO jams.

sorry to sound negative, but i think this thread and this board need a reality check

And this... 

I know from experience that jedi and I have very similar tastes when it comes to Phish.  If jedi is blase about how the band sounded, than I am confidant that I might feel the same way.

I wasn't heartbroken when they quit 5 years ago, I was happy to see them go, because they had started to suck it, and I did not want to feel compelled to shell out thousands following them around and wasting my time if they weren't going to deliver.

I will definitely hear the shows myself and make my own decision, but based on jedi's analysis and aug's second night analysis I've gone from a "hell yeah" type of feeling to a "oh...ok" type of feeling.

I'm glad that people had a great time at the show...but sometimes being at a show can cloud your judgement as to the quality of the show (Like 10/25/96 when I walked out of Hampton and foolishly declared that it was "DEFINITELY ONE OF THE TEN BEST PHISH SHOWS EVER"...I have obviously revised my opinion...it might not have been one of the best three shows that week.)

jedifunk

And this... 

rich - no offense, but its not nosense... its quite logical when you detach your emotion from the situation.

i agree with a lot of what you are saying... yes, back in the day they weren't nearly as jammy as they became in the late 90s...  but read what i wrote.

i hardly feel like i'm bashing the band... quite the opposite actually.  i think i'm being completely rational.  i am happy to see them back and playing... they were certainly tight for 80% of the weekend.  and as i've already stated, they've laid a great foundation for the future.

my point really, is all the talk about them being "back" is extremely premature.  i don't think that most of what they played would have stood up during 93-95.  and thats not the point anyways.

again, i'll i want is for people to remove the emotion when talking about them being "back"...

and i certainly feel i have a right to my opinion... i've well over 150 shows, so i know a thing or two about this band... and when i listen, i conclude that they are certainly not "back"... they are playing again, playing pretty darn well, and it sounds good and is enjoyable to listen to...

but certainly not "back" IMHO.

*disclaimer- take it fwiw, its only my opinion
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

thechad

I have to agree with what Jedi is saying, with the only exception being the DWD and GBOTT.  The base is there, they have laid the ground work for what they have to build up on.  They were practicing for the past few months, but they were had to relearn how to play 80+ plus songs together, some that they hadn't play in almost a decade together and some that they never had.  The jams will come, for me their weakest aspect was their vocals, they sounded very tentative and unsure of themselves when they were singing.  Again, that will come back with time.  And as far a Phish being back, I think that they totally are, what we were getting in 03-04 I hope we all can agree was not Phish, while this wasn't the Phish of 93-99, it certainly was a hell of a lot better than the Phish that came after their first break.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: thechad on March 09, 2009, 02:36:57 PM
it certainly was a hell of a lot better than the Phish that came after their first break.

Having not heard the recent shows, I will attest to the Hampton '03 shows being a major fucking let down with the exception of Contact which was 5 minutes of awesome.

jedifunk

agreed.. DWD is pretty tight as is the -> from twist to 2001.

oh and beauty of a broken heart... that shit is TIGHT, i hope that becomes a regular.

that and i really enjoyed undermind.

so see, i definitely enjoyed the music...
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

fauxpaxfauxreal

McGrupp

Last night was my favorite of the weekend. Gin was dope, DWD was by far the best jam of the night. They really seemed to start getting comfortable last night - and I had the most fun.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

jedifunk

i would agree with mcgrupp here... from listening to the shows, they seemed to be the most comfortable on night 3, more willing to open up
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Poster Nutbag

My personal opinion is that they're on the right track to be back!!! Its pretty obvious IMO what they're doing... They went back to the roots of all these songs to get a handle on playing them again, and the reason I think they played these 3 shows was to get their feet a little wet playing live together again... But from a technical standpoint these shows sound real good even with the lack of jamming which I think will be far more prevalent during the summer tour... They will critque these shows and listen for what they feel needs to be improved in the base of these songs and build them up from there with feeling alot more comfortable jamming within some of these songs... But it seems totally obvious to me that their hearts are back into Phish and the Funk jams will be derived from that inner spirit of their souls again... I really think its going to be a great summer...

Songs I'm glad to see...
Tube
Guelah Papyrus
Fluffhead
Sanity
My Friend My Friend
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

Hicks

Quote from: jedifunk on March 09, 2009, 03:13:23 PM
i would agree with mcgrupp here... from listening to the shows, they seemed to be the most comfortable on night 3, more willing to open up

No surprise there though, from 98 on it almost always took them a couple shows to get into the groove of things. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.