News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Grateful Dead Pacific Northwest 73/74 Box Set Talk

Started by August, September 10, 2018, 11:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: jam> on September 11, 2018, 05:30:34 PM
I know this isn't the box, but you guys should all check out today's anniversary show from 74.

Jerry and Billy come in during Seastones and segue into a long, groovy, different Eyes of the World. Worth hearing.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=586835

That one is dope.
I've studied this week pretty heavily as it's the week I was born. Great, weird, very doped up, stuff happening.

Caravan2001

They did a great job with the mix of this box.  Have only heard a few tracks from the sampler but they are killer.  Makes me want to buy the vinyl but not sure I will.  The Portland show has a couple of great sequences, but I prefer the other shows as a whole. 

Hicks

Quote from: Caravan2001 on September 11, 2018, 08:43:37 PM
They did a great job with the mix of this box.  Have only heard a few tracks from the sampler but they are killer.  Makes me want to buy the vinyl but not sure I will.  The Portland show has a couple of great sequences, but I prefer the other shows as a whole.

Cmon bro, if you don't buy the PDX vinyl I'm banishing you back to the East Coast.   :samurai:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on September 11, 2018, 09:08:43 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on September 11, 2018, 08:43:37 PM

Cmon bro, if you don't buy the PDX vinyl I'm banishing you back to the East Coast.   :samurai:

I'll pick it up.  I love the cover art. Almost wish the vinyl was of the sampler.  It's so good.  I have to go downtown tomorrow, maybe I will snag it at EM.

Caravan2001

Quote from: mattstick on September 10, 2018, 12:56:24 PM

Agreed, they're all really good.

Vancouver '73 So much good stuff in the 1st set, the Truckin' thru Sugar Mag segment is also bananas
Portland '74 WRS > Wharf Rat might be my favourite thing on the box, very early Peggy-O too
Portland '73 Dark Star > Eyes
Seattle '74 47 minute Playin' = longest GD jam
Seattle '73 Huge Other One
Vancouver '74 had never heard this show, the Nobody's Fault But Mine is cool

Holy crap this is nuts.  I must have heard it before, I'm sure but wow.  Sounds amazing.  They go deep.

susep

Quote from: Caravan2001 on September 12, 2018, 05:36:21 PM
Quote from: mattstick on September 10, 2018, 12:56:24 PM

Agreed, they're all really good.

Vancouver '73 So much good stuff in the 1st set, the Truckin' thru Sugar Mag segment is also bananas
Portland '74 WRS > Wharf Rat might be my favourite thing on the box, very early Peggy-O too
Portland '73 Dark Star > Eyes
Seattle '74 47 minute Playin' = longest GD jam
Seattle '73 Huge Other One
Vancouver '74 had never heard this show, the Nobody's Fault But Mine is cool

Holy crap this is nuts.  I must have heard it before, I'm sure but wow.  Sounds amazing.  They go deep.

I've heard the Gans GDH version.  Pumped to hear this entire box esp the '74 shows.  Besides Reno(5/12) and Santa Barbara(5/25), this release + Dave's 9 covers all of May '74.   

mattstick

Just jumping in here to say that the Seattle 74 Eyes Of The World is sofa king good.

It's got a little "type 2" moment in there where you forget what planet you're on.

tet

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 10, 2018, 12:43:33 PM
Quote from: August on September 10, 2018, 11:29:47 AM
Rank the shows from the set, please.

All are a ten.

Every version of Money Money is now officially released.

Life is beautiful.

In all seriousness, 5/19/74 is the fucking shit.... So I'd start there but I'd get the whole thing.

personally, i'm trying to collect every version of Gloria... 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

susep

Finally got around to hearing some of this yesterday starting w/ 22June73.  Bird Song, wowza!  Incredible version, very patient and colorful.  Playing In The Band is another monster version, Bob in particular sounds killer.  Truckin' is huge especially the jam after Phil's solo.  They do sound very '72ish w/ Phil quoting the bass line to Wayne Shorter's Footprints as he does so many times between 72 and 73.  Really sick jam here, Jerry complimenting nicely. 
Its music like this that warrants "73 is the best year" accolades.  Incredible show, pumped to hear more from this box.