News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/04 - Jones Beach Amphitheater - Wantagh, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Rift, June 05, 2009, 12:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrum

ok, forgive me if it's already been discussed.
but has that clunker note that mike plays on Drowned (over & over again) from 3:31 to 3:43 been addressed yet?

this is killing me. what was he thinking?
it sounds to me like he just wasn't listening to the bass while he was singing.

i want my money back!  :shakehead:
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Hicks on June 11, 2009, 05:17:12 PM
When I listen to this show sans TTE it flows quite well. 

I haven't listened to Asheville yet but so far it's my third favorite of the tour.

Asheville was by and large my favorite show that I saw this summer (with Burgettstown coming in a close second).

That Ghost is HUGE and owns your souls!  :evil:

susep

4June2009 - Wantagh, NY

Source: {16 bit} TELEFUNKEN Ela m262 tubes (30cm, 90 degrees, 7') > Lunatec V3 > Sonic AD2K+ > wav @ 24/44.1
Lineage: CF > Sound Studio (fades, EQ -2.5db @ 160Hz, normalize) > xAct (align on sector boundaries, encode flac16 level 8, tag, fingerprint)
Recorded by Jesse Hurlburt

I

Grind - again I love acapella.  But they should rotate in other tunes of this genre.

Divided Sky - yes!  tight version, great energy esp. Fish, the aquatic qualities of this tune so close to water, nice latter half execution by Trey after the quiet/note section.  Solid.

Ocelot - 2nd version ever, Mike really standing out, Trey leading w/ good intent, consistency, BB Trey, jam drifting along, Trey trying to ascend to the next level but not quite there yet,

Coil - sigh

PYITE - could really do w/ out imo.

Dirt - nap time?

NICU - again Mike hammering down, love this tune, Trey a little off in his transition into the chorus, nice themes in "sand dollar at the shore" and "back on those days when my life was a haze", enjoyable.

Ghost - nice pic, nice funk in the verses, solid everyone as jam opens, cool effect by Trey, really cool jamming here, the shark emerges, jam begins orbit near 6:20, nice thematic jamming by Trey, jam modulates slightly, Mike responds, affirming music here, major, Mike showing great range, theme acclerates, Page not as noticeable in this mix, nice jam out of that, trippy Page, awesome jamming here, Phish of old, throwing down, letting go > Trey re-introducing Ghost chords, nice transition out, nice Richard Wright-esque leadership by Page in outro jam.

Antelope - active intro, very vaudvilleish, nice splash into the jam, solid jam, nothing earth shattering but consistent, Trey hitting some nice notes, Trey evoking a '93-94 dissonance, resolving back, these versions are almost funny.

II

H20 in the Sky - not what I would expect for a second set opener, esp. the slow version?

Birds - more of an appropriate opener, the predecessor to Kill Devil Falls at least in jam style, preety rocking version, again nothing crazy in terms of exploration but a very high energy, well delivered jam.

Drowned - was it raining? truly epoch history in this cover, for a 3 chorder:), Trey picks up where he left off in Birds, straight ahead leads w/ strong support and energy from everyone, Trey really kicking it into the high gear of his soul, near 6:24 he morphs into whale tone, compared to this I kinda like what he was doing earlier, jam tries to get spacey, Page comping heavily, Fish playing around, sounds as if they may segue back into main theme/chords, Trey in an almost Reba fashion is continuing to push foward, the others regain momentum into Trey laying out a 2 chord series, tease of Rolling Stones Jumpin' Jack Flash, jam gets muddy into

Meatstick - not a very good segue or transition, Page lighting it up, meh on this song.

Time Turns Elastic - I'm not in the hater camp, I like this song, sounds faster then other versions I've heard from this tour, decent.

Waste - sure.

You Enjoy Myself - nice beginning execution by Trey, very tight and fluid(as I typed ti in tight could hear minor flub:), Trey chords into jam near 10:06, nice funk/rock groove, sick jam(I love these YEM jams), please Trey stay of the whale tone, gets back to single note jamming, Page raging on his clav, back to the ivories, Mike laying down fat, watery lines, nice high energy jam, Trey hitting some nice peaks ala a '94 WMGGW, machine gun Trey, Trey in the zone/has found IT, Mike laying it down fat in his solo, very '94ish to my ears, nice Fish w/ cow funk, solid.

E

Rock and Roll - ok, more of Birds and Drowned type jamming as before, good energy.  

Overall I thought this show was ok, ok in the sense that other then the very good and nicely jammed Ghost in set 1, and the high energy jam in YEM, there really were not other moments that I'd want to hear a second time.  Still this show easily blows Mansfield off the map.

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

guyforget

6/4 it rained, but not during the show.

6/5 it poured the rain through the entire show, very heavy rain during the second set. 
-AD_

redrum

365 days ago, i had a blast at this show.
just in case you were wondering..
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

G. Augusto

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!