News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R10/W06: 11-14-1998 The Crown, Cincinnati, OH

Started by UncleEbinezer, September 27, 2010, 10:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Saturday, 11/14/1998 The Crown, Cincinnati, OH
Set 1: Funky Bitch, My Soul, Reba, Bouncing Around the Room, Tweezer > The Moma Dance, Sparkle, Character Zero

Set 2: David Bowie, Something, Piper, Golgi Apparatus, Guyute, Hold Your Head Up > Sexual Healing > Hold Your Head Up, You Enjoy Myself, Julius, Hello My Baby

Encore: So Lonely[1] > Tweezer Reprise

[1] Phish debut.

Notes: So Lonely made its Phish debut at this show.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set one is pretty tame until Reba, then it catches fire.  Great version of Reba.  It has all the makings of an epic version.  Trey is really on point with this version.  Tweezer > Moma was the other highlight of this set for me.  This Tweezer reminds me a lot of the 11/17/97 version.  It has that deep space rage vibe to it.  I dug all of it though.  The zero actually rages too, it's a great version to close a set.  Overall I'd give set I a solid B/B+

Set II is a rager all the way through in my opinion.  This Bowie is dirty.  Great composed section, and the jam has a huge take off and break down portion.  The YEM has some very dirty funk.  I really liked Something and So Lonely is an awesome treat as well.  The encore is solid as well.  I'd give this second set an A-. 

Overall this show is an B+/A- show.  Great pick.  Sorry for the brevity, but I didn't take notes and I listened to it last week. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

justjezmund

11/14/98
The Crown, Cinci, OH

I

Funky Bitch - lightin' up early

My Soul - some more groove funk ehh? 

Reba - Very nicely done.  Nice peak in this one as well.  Got real high for a min.  AND THEY FUCKIN FINISH IT!!!! :clap: Really enjoyed this one.

Bouncin - Bouncin was played.

Tweezer - setting off in the first set, nice. Cool theme comes into play little before halfway through. Some nice heat fo sho followed up by shit that's real deep.

Moma - MOAR FUNK!!

Sparkle - .......and fall apart. 

Character Zero - Way to close with energy.

II

David Bowie - Awesome heat to open.

Something - Beatles = Great

Piper - Nice little rager.

Golgi - saw you....

Guyute - Well played.

HYHU>SEXUAL HEALING>HYHU - Fishman hilarity ensues.

YEM - Thoroughly enjoyed this, jam section gets real cool.

Julius - smore heat please

Hello My Baby - Ive been :smoke: and all I think of right now is Michigan J Frog.

E

So Lonely - Cool song choice. I dig those police. >

Reprise - Always love the sequel.

This was a first listen for me.  I liked it as a whole, really enjoyed the first set a bit more than second.  Highlights for me are the finished reba and tweezer. The bowie and yem are no joke either.  Ill give this one a B/B+  Nice pick.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

mbw

Quote from: JustJezmund on October 04, 2010, 08:04:25 PM
Hello My Baby - Ive been :smoke: and all I think of right now is Michigan J Frog.

nice, i recently shipped this animation cell

G. Augusto

Bitch - Always welcomed. Trey takes the first solo, which is odd for the time.

My Soul - Another bluesy solo trade-off. Nice tempo on this one with Page taking the first solo. Trey rips his up!

Reba - So sweet in the 3 slot. Tight composed sections. Didn't really grab me like some of the rest of the club, but it was a good jam with a decent peak.

Bouncing - Around the Animal Crackers.

Tweezer - BOOM. More meat. Always dug this one. First half of the jam rips hard like a New Haven '95, while the second half quiets down and lets that Fall '97 sneak in. Really awesome version.

Moma - Keeping the energy/funk up.

Sparkle -

Zero - Love an 8 song first set. Huge rock star ending on this. Sammy H!

Bowie - Picking right up where they left off....Very trippy intro. Composed is a little F'd. Jam takes some time but finally builds around 12 minutes in. Drop into final section is buttery.

Something - Intro fill? They shoulda shelved this after the Greek.

Piper - Missin' that relaxed intro. Short, yet good.

Golgi - The flow killer. Trey hits that last riff!

Guyute - Sammies.

Healing - Last one played. One of my least favorite Fish tunes.

YEM - Big Fall '98 loop during the nirvana section. Mike is riding his bell after the tramps section. This might be the only time I have heard Trey loop actually chords and tap them in time to a jam. Super cool. Groove is in the Heart and some flippy lights.

Julius/Baby - Nice cap to the show.

So Lonely - Cool as a one-off. Page does a pretty solid job with the vox, too.

Reprise. Sammy the Horrible.

Aside from this show reminding me off one of my most hated shows (11-25-1998) and the lull in the second set, it still is pretty strong.
I give it a B+.

pnchundi