News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/07 - Greek Theatre - Berkeley, CA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by blatboom, August 08, 2010, 01:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfreakie

The Hood sounded old school tonight. He went '95 style when, after nurturing the gorgeous tone in the jam, he took it up a notch by simply switching to that biting tone. That's how I dig it....simply ramping up the volume is easy. Love my milked Hoods. Can't wait to hear that again.  :music:

Looking forward to listening to the second set.  :banana:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

PIE-GUY

I know I said this after spac, but... This was seriously the best show I've seen in 10 years. Check out the post-Suzy jam and tell me I'm wrong.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Superfreakie

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 08, 2010, 02:52:03 AM
I know I said this after spac, but... This was seriously the best show I've seen in 10 years. Check out the post-Suzy jam and tell me I'm wrong.

I don't doubt you PG. That second set sounded awesome. We were really fortunate to have that amazing stream again; seriously, we're not listening to sharts anymore. I forgot to mention in my post that the Light also sounded amazing. I'm very jealous of you at this moment. I've also been to the Greek, so I know just what went down. I know how amazing the sound is in there and what you can do with the lights.

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Superfreakie

Hear ye, Hear ye, OCELODOC HATH SLAIN THE WHALE.

(we lost the stream during Light for about 7 minutes...so not sure how the battle unfolded at that point)

mehead

looks prett sweet, esp. set II & the encore...1st Tube encores have been rockin' this summer
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

mistercharlie

A 17 minute Light and an 11 minute Suzy?!?! Did those stoners over at LP mess up again or are these legitimate timings?
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mehead

Quote from: mistercharlie on August 08, 2010, 08:55:40 AM
A 17 minute Light and an 11 minute Suzy?!?! Did those stoners over at LP mess up again or are these legitimate timings?

don't forget about the 4 min Tube

:wink:
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

mattstick

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

birdman

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the stream last night. Nothing that blew my mind but solid Phish all around. Glad to hear that Pie finally got his Lizards! He's been hyped to hear that tune all summer.
Paug FTMFW!

mattstick

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

PIE-GUY

It was a great lizards. Flubs, yes. But Page was on point and Trey got it together toward the end. It was beautiful.

The "post suzy" jam was just a return to the big jam they were in during suzy. Just like they did on halloween, they dropped back into the jam, only thing is this jam is nothing like that jam. It was a big rock jam as opposed to a funk jam. But structurally it was the same.

Also, some dude had a big sign up front that said "we love u trey" on one side amd "please no more whammy" on the other. Trey saw it and kinda said "that's not gonna happen"

Still no whale in hood or slave makes pie a happy boy.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

art vandelay

really good show last night.  much better than the first two.

light and suzy were the obvious highlights.  best hood id heard in a while.  not sure if there was much of a peak, but there was some very nice interplay during the jam.  i found the "no more whammy please sign" disrespectful, but luckily hood and slave where relatively whale-free.  i also really enjoyed the 2001.  not rushed like almost every 3.0 version has been.  mike went to the footbell quite a few times during this jam, something he only does on special o-motherfucking-cassions.

great time at the greek over the weekend.  unfortunately, i think they were warming up for the first couple shows.  kind of wish i was seeing them around alpine, when theyll be in the swing of things, but oh well.

RabeldyNugs

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 08, 2010, 02:16:17 AM
Quote from: caravan2001 on August 08, 2010, 02:07:12 AM
Quote from: Superfreakie on August 08, 2010, 02:04:32 AM
Liked Trey's playing in that second set. The whale was pretty much absent the entire show. Do you think these crash land segues are basically now something that is here to stay, such as the Wilson -~-^^~> Light

I think they are something we should all get used to.....I just hate it when they really rush it and it sounds forced....They could improve though....Doesn't really kill the show for me too bad as long as the songs themselves are played well....

I know it is a small thing considering the entirety of a show. I guess it bugs me because it comes off as unprofessional/unpracticed/unprepared. Throughout their history, segueing was something they turned into an art. And now I find myself lost in the music and then all of a sudden there is this crashing dissonance generally from Trey, everyone seems momentarily lost, it's chaos on stage and then the new song starts up..... and they then need 30 seconds so that they can figure out what the hell is going on. What makes it worse is that they are writing set lists now which means they could take a brief moment to say to each other prior to the show, okay these are the chord changes we are going to use to get out of this song and into this. It's not that hard....especially for world class musicians.

Said very well SuperFreakie, as it hurts me too. You do make very valid points of knowing the setlists and still the transitions are very tough.  It kills the moment if you ask me.
I'm dead sober right now, but when I try to read that Gumbo post, I swear to god it feels like I am tripping face.

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/RabeldyNugs