News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2017-07-25 MSG, New York, NY

Started by GBL, July 25, 2017, 11:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthrax

Quote from: pcr3 on April 07, 2020, 10:20:00 PM
Quote from: emay on April 07, 2020, 10:10:19 PM
Quote from: GBL on April 07, 2020, 10:08:41 PM
Quote from: justjezmund on April 07, 2020, 10:04:23 PM
Quote from: Hicks on April 07, 2020, 09:14:11 PM
Anybody that says that Lawnboy is overrated should be demoted to Twiddle tour for life.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

this show is just another prime example of "you snooze you lose"

Yeah, cause everyone was like, jam filled?  No thanks!

Lol come on man

I remember tickets for the others weekend shows started selling out by the next day. This was the show that prompted a lot of people to book flights to catch at least some of the rest of the run.

This show and the fact that everyone was starting to think they'd go the whole run without repeats generated alot of talk and action. I was going the last weekend already, but instantly everyone else wanted in.

i really wonder how this was orchestrated.  we all saw trey charting out the songs for each night in his documentary.  and it was obvious that they had to jam pretty hard to pull off this run.  so, did trey come up with jam night or was that just something that came out of full band/mgmt meetings?

because of the fact that they had hundreds (thousands?) of donuts each night, the nightly flavors had to be predetermined pretty far in advance of the entire run.  they also had access to ticket presale numbers and they obviously saw the first tuesday was the least sold of them all. 

i always thought managing 3.0 phish would be kinda easy.  the fanbase is rabid.  tickets and merch sell like hotcakes.  your job is to make all of trey's wild ideas a reality.  take care of your golden goose...that's it.  so how much credit does management deserve for putting jam night on the least popular night?  or was this the band with another classic you snooze you lose night?  i'd be curious to know how many tickets sold in the 24 hours between the announcement of jam night and the actual show.  and did they foresee jam night being a catalyst to sell more tickets to future shows?  i'm sure no one predicted the insane demand for tickets that would take place 9 shows later, but by playing strong shows at the beginning, it wouldn't be hard to think you'd increase sales, especially considering how relatively easy it was for people to get to msg in the summer.

rj, we need a phish management podcast!

emay

Also the fact they chose Lawn Boy to kick off the jams is pretty awesome and unexpected to me.

anthrax

Quote from: emay on April 10, 2020, 02:36:29 PM
Also the fact they chose Lawn Boy to kick off the jams is pretty awesome and unexpected to me.

totally unexpected and awesome!  but thinking about it after the fact, it made total sense for them to take a 3 minute song for a 30 minute ride in the interest of filling 13 nights.