News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Undermind

15 Years ago today.  I got tickets for face in the parking lot that were the best seats I have ever had for a show for bring in the duuuude!

Saturday, 12/13/1997
Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY
Set 1: Ya Mar[1] > Axilla > Theme From the Bottom, Ginseng Sullivan, Strange Design, Sample in a Jar, Vultures, Tube, Good Times Bad Times

Set 2: NICU > Punch You In the Eye > Ghost > Mike's Song[2] -> Llama, When the Circus Comes, Weekapaug Groove -> Catapult -> Weekapaug Groove, Harry Hood

Encore: My Soul, The Squirming Coil

[1] Unfinished.
[2] Funkytown tease, Foxy Lady quotes from Fishman, and chants to "Bring in the Dude."
Performers: Trey Anastasio, Page McConnell, Jon Fishman, Mike Gordon
Notes: Ya Mar was unfinished. Mike's Song included a Funkytown tease, Foxy Lady quotes from Fishman, and some memorable vocal interplay from the band that included a chant to "Bring in the Dude." During Hood, Trey asked Chris Kuroda to turn off the lights for a Blackout Jam and the audience responded with a shower of green glowsticks. The opening act was J. Willis Pratt & We're Bionic.
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Undermind on December 13, 2012, 10:34:53 PM
15 Years ago today.  I got tickets for face in the parking lot that were the best seats I have ever had for a show for bring in the duuuude!

Saturday, 12/13/1997
Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY
Set 1: Ya Mar[1] > Axilla > Theme From the Bottom, Ginseng Sullivan, Strange Design, Sample in a Jar, Vultures, Tube, Good Times Bad Times

Set 2: NICU > Punch You In the Eye > Ghost > Mike's Song[2] -> Llama, When the Circus Comes, Weekapaug Groove -> Catapult -> Weekapaug Groove, Harry Hood

Nice! One of my all time favorites. Where were your seats?
Bring in the dude!

Superfreakie

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on December 14, 2012, 12:31:48 AM

Saturday, 12/13/1997
Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY

Myself, Page side, first bank of seats; coursing with a cornucopia of illicit substances, as come that point of tour, I had shredded my neurotransmitter remnants beyond all recognition. Then......bring out the dude, break it down cactus, bring out the dude.....and the goddamn white and red lights, strobing. Aaargh, Fucking Evil Nasty Devilish Phish.     
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Augustus

17 years ago and still one of my Top 10 attended.

QuoteThursday, 12/14/1995
Broome County Arena, Binghamton, NY

Soundcheck: Strange Design, Free

Set 1: Suzy Greenberg > Llama, Horn > Foam, Makisupa Policeman > Split Open and Melt, Tela, Taste That Surrounds, My Sweet One, Frankenstein

Set 2: The Curtain > Tweezer[1] -> Timber (Jerry) -> Tweezer -> Keyboard Army, Halley's Comet -> NICU -> Slave to the Traffic Light

Encore: Bold As Love

[1] Slipknot! tease in the jam into Timber.

Notes: The jam into Timber included a Slipknot! tease. Bold As Love was played for a fan up front with a sign requesting it. A humorous scene ensued when another fan got excited, as if Trey was referring to his Brother sign. Trey remarked that when fans bring signs, it has to be for a song the band wants to play. This show was officially released as Live Phish 01.

birdman

Quote from: Superfreakie on December 14, 2012, 01:12:43 AM

Saturday, 12/13/1997
Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY

Myself, Page side, first bank of seats; coursing with a cornucopia of illicit substances, as come that point of tour, I had shredded my neurotransmitter remnants beyond all recognition. Then......bring out the dude, break it down cactus, bring out the dude.....and the goddamn white and red lights, strobing. Aaargh, Fucking Evil Nasty Devilish Phish.   
I was probably a few rows away from you for this one. Great show. I can't believe none of you talked about the great J Willis Pratt Band opening that day. Probably the highlight of the night. Probably.
Paug FTMFW!

Superfreakie

Quote from: birdman on December 14, 2012, 07:42:28 AM

Saturday, 12/13/1997
Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY

I was probably a few rows away from you for this one. Great show. I can't believe none of you talked about the great J Willis Pratt Band opening that day. Probably the highlight of the night. Probably.

There was an opening band??? Hahahah. Lulz, I do not remember this AT ALL. And how the hell did you, of all people, make it inside of the venue in time. There were more than a few opening bands in the early years, yet similarly, I don't remember any of them either. Was just reading the posts on the Toronto 12/12/92 show that was just re-seeded at etree, and there was mention of Days of You opening, an early 90's Canadian jam band who I knew. But fucked if I remember them opening.

SIDE NOTE: I've seen more shows at the Knick in Albany than any other venue on earth. GD 1990 -> to today.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

birdman

Funny thing is we went in way early. I had to shit like you read about. And it was cold as fuck out.  I do remember eating a ton of mushies out in the lot. I'm sure that contributed to the situation. :roll:
Paug FTMFW!

Undermind

Quote from: Superfreakie on December 14, 2012, 01:18:43 PM
Quote from: birdman on December 14, 2012, 07:42:28 AM

Saturday, 12/13/1997
Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY

There was an opening band??? Hahahah. Lulz, I do not remember this AT ALL. And how the hell did you, of all people, make it inside of the venue in time. There were more than a few opening bands in the early years, yet similarly, I don't remember any of them either. Was just reading the posts on the Toronto 12/12/92 show that was just re-seeded at etree, and there was mention of Days of You opening, an early 90's Canadian jam band who I knew. But fucked if I remember them opening.

SIDE NOTE: I've seen more shows at the Knick in Albany than any other venue on earth. GD 1990 -> to today.
I do remember thinking how strange it was that there was an opening act and I kind of remember them sucking but that's about it.  Oddly enough my seats were right near you guys.  1st row over Page's head....
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

barnesy305

My first show, 20 years ago. Fuck I'm old

Sunday, 02/07/1993
Lisner Auditorium, George Washington University, Washington, DC
Set 1: Suzy Greenberg > Buried Alive > Poor Heart, It's Ice > Sparkle, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird > Rift, I Didn't Know[1], Split Open and Melt, Fee[2] > Runaway Jim
Set 2: Llama, Fast Enough for You, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, Reba[3], Tweezer[4] > Big Ball Jam[5], Glide, You Enjoy Myself[6], The Squirming Coil, If I Only Had a Brain > Tweezer Reprise
Encore: Amazing Grace[7], Contact > Big Black Furry Creature from Mars
[1] Fishman on trombone.
[2] Trey sang verses through megaphone.
[3] Odd variations on the "Bag it/tag it" lyrics, an atypical jam, and a Simpsons signal.
[4] Gumbo teases from Mike and Page.
[5] Gumbo tease from Mike.
[6] Vocal jam included a brief piece of Oh My Darling, Clementine.
[7] Without microphones.
Performers: Trey Anastasio, Page McConnell, Jon Fishman, Mike Gordon
Notes: I Didn't Know featured Fishman on trombone. Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone, dedicated Llama to Chelsea Clinton and, with huge balloon and flowers in hand, dedicated Amazing Grace to his sister on her 30th birthday. Amazing Grace was performed without microphones. Reba included odd variations on the "Bag it/tag it" lyrics, an atypical jam, and a Simpsons signal. Tweezer contained Gumbo teases from Mike and Page. The intro to Big Ball Jam also contained a quick Gumbo tease from Mike. The vocal jam in YEM included a brief piece of the traditional Oh My Darling, Clementine.
This show was part of the "1993 Winter/Spring Tour."

PIE-GUY

Classic of classics for an encore!! Great first show.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

barnesy305

I went with my two best friends at the time and we decided to eat mushrooms. Being 17 year old assholes my one friend fed a stem to my other friend's dog while he wasn't in the room. Naturally the dog spit it back out so peanut butter did the trick. When we came back from the show, the dog was on its back with wild ass eyes and breathing deep. I remember my buddy yelling "what the fuck did you do to my dog?!?!" and then it decided to go fuck a pillow. At the time I only had a few bootleg and had no concept of Forbin's or half of the songs played really. Needless to say my mind was blown and the encore was unreal!!! Kinda weird though, I've never listened to this show since then.

runawayjimbo

You were 17 twenty years ago? Well shit, barnesy, that'd make you...almost as old as RJ.

I'm listening to that show right now. That pea pod > baby food > baby's mouth narration would have fucked me up on mushrooms.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

barnesy305

Quote from: runawayjimbo on February 07, 2013, 10:46:24 AM
You were 17 twenty years ago? Well shit, barnesy, that'd make you...almost as old as RJ.

I'm listening to that show right now. That pea pod > baby food > baby's mouth narration would have fucked me up on mushrooms.

He's got me by a year. Yeah that narration fucked me up a bit at the time, I remember having to sit down.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: barnesy305 on February 07, 2013, 11:04:42 AM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on February 07, 2013, 10:46:24 AM

He's got me by a year. Yeah that narration fucked me up a bit at the time, I remember having to sit down.

You're 39? Shit my math is bad.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.