News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

Quote from: antelope19 on July 17, 2013, 01:40:41 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on July 17, 2013, 01:30:12 PM
Now that's a doozy of a first slim.

Today marks the 14th anniversary of Oswego.  Had such good times at this fest, seems like a lifetime ago.

07/17/1999 (Sat) Oswego County Airport - Volney, NY
Set 1: Tube, Boogie on Reggae Woman, Birds of a Feather, Guelah Papyrus, My Sweet One, Roggae, Tweezer > Have Mercy*, Taste, Character Zero
Set 2: Funky Bitch**, On My Knees**, On My Knees Reprise***, Down With Disease, Wolfman's Brother > Sneaking Sally Through the Alley > Timber, You Enjoy Myself
E: The Squirming Coil, Tweezer Reprise
Comment: * - With Trey on keys.
** - With Son Seals (composer of Funky Bitch).
*** - Blues jam played as Son Seals left the stage.

07/18/1999 (Sun) Oswego County Airport - Volney, NY
Set 1: Punch You in the Eye, Farmhouse, Water in the Sky, Bathtub Gin, Get Back on the Train*, Call Me If You Need a Fool*, I'm Blue I'm Lonesome*, Beauty of My Dreams*, Moma Dance, Reba, Chalk Dust Torture
Set 2: Runaway Jim > Free, Meatstick**, Guyute, Axilla***, Llama
Set 3: My Soul, Piper# > Prince Caspian, Wilson > Catapult## > Icculus###, Mighty Quinn, Fluffhead,
E: Harry Hood
Comment: * - With the Del McCoury Band.  One of Del's band members broke a
string and left the stage so a fiddle/banjo breakdown ensued during his absence.
** - With an explanation of the record by Trey, Sofi on stage dancing and with the Guinnes Book of World Records staff videotaping the event for verification yet on what the estimated attendance count was, much less a count of those dancing.  Though preliminary reports suggest the crowd may have exceeded 70,000, but that participation in the Meatstick Dance was weak.
*** - Axillas on this tour had been Axilla I but with the II ending, this performance was pure I, with no II ending.
# - With glowstick war and Trey on keys.
## - Catapult was followed by a tremendous amount of banter and toying, all continuing in the E chord from the end of Wilson, which was never finished.  Trey tells the audience to "read the fucking, helping, friendly book".  He they said "you won't find it on MTV or at Barnes & Noble or Borders or Amazon or on the Internet... if you want to find out, you've got to read the fucking book".  He continued his banter with comparing 'Smoke on the Water' to 'Cat Scratch Fever' and demonstrated during the jam.
### - Followed by more narration and teases of the Rolling Stones 'Miss You'.

Wow. We had a blast at that one.
That was the last time I ate mushrooms.

VA $l!m

guess it was a good day for me.
15 years ago i caught this gem with a 2nd set that kicked the tour into high gear for sure.

Link Friday, 07/17/1998
Gorge Amphitheatre, George, WA

Set 1: Makisupa Policeman > Ya Mar, Gumbo[1], Divided Sky, Waste > My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, My Soul

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Mike's Song > Weekapaug Groove[2] > Character Zero

Encore: Punch You In the Eye > Rocky Top

[1] Manteca tease.
[2] Taste tease from Trey. Unfinished.

Performers: Trey Anastasio, Page McConnell, Jon Fishman, Mike Gordon

Notes: Gumbo included a Manteca tease. This unfinished Weekapaug included syncopated jamming and a tease of the theme that signals the closing of the jam segment of Taste by Trey.

Today marks the 14th anniversary of Oswego.  Had such good times at this fest, seems like a lifetime ago.

Set 1: Tube, Boogie on Reggae Woman, Birds of a Feather, Guelah Papyrus, My Sweet One, Roggae, Tweezer > Have Mercy*, Taste, Character Zero
Set 2: Funky Bitch**, On My Knees**, On My Knees Reprise***, Down With Disease, Wolfman's Brother > Sneaking Sally Through the Alley > Timber, You Enjoy Myself

Set 1: Punch You in the Eye, Farmhouse, Water in the Sky, Bathtub Gin, Get Back on the Train*, Call Me If You Need a Fool*, I'm Blue I'm Lonesome*, Beauty of My Dreams*, Moma Dance, Reba, Chalk Dust Torture
Set 3: My Soul, Piper# > Prince Caspian, Wilson > Catapult## > Icculus###, Mighty Quinn, Fluffhead,
string and left the stage so a fiddle/banjo breakdown ensued during his absence.
** - With an explanation of the record by Trey, Sofi on stage dancing and with the Guinnes Book of World Records staff videotaping the event for verification yet on what the estimated attendance count was, much less a count of those dancing.  Though preliminary reports suggest the crowd may have exceeded 70,000, but that participation in the Meatstick Dance was weak.
*** - Axillas on this tour had been Axilla I but with the II ending, this performance was pure I, with no II ending.
## - Catapult was followed by a tremendous amount of banter and toying, all continuing in the E chord from the end of Wilson, which was never finished.  Trey tells the audience to "read the fucking, helping, friendly book".  He they said "you won't find it on MTV or at Barnes & Noble or Borders or Amazon or on the Internet... if you want to find out, you've got to read the fucking book".  He continued his banter with comparing 'Smoke on the Water' to 'Cat Scratch Fever' and demonstrated during the jam.

man, that one has to be in my top 10 show r3grets just for the fact i moved from CO > NY right before it. dunno where my head was @missing these, lol. :roll:
i think i had jsut started a job... :tte:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: khalpin on July 17, 2013, 02:04:35 PM
Quote from: antelope19 on July 17, 2013, 01:40:41 PM

Wow. We had a blast at that one.
That was the last time I ate mushrooms.

Definitely my most memorable mushie trip happened during this weekend.  Sooooo much fun!!!!
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

barnesy305

Quote from: VA $l!m on July 17, 2013, 01:18:17 PM
Today is the 20th anniversary of my 1st Phish show  8-)

Saturday, 07/17/1993
The Filene Center at Wolf Trap, Vienna, VA

Soundcheck: Jump Monk tease, Shaggy Dog, Nellie Kane, Leprechaun, The Mango Song (x2), Funky Bitch (x2), Punch You in the Eye, Blues Jam

Set 1: The Landlady > Runaway Jim, Sample in a Jar, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, Stash, Reba[1], Chalk Dust Torture, The Horse[2] > Silent in the Morning > The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony > David Bowie

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Tweezer, The Squirming Coil, It's Ice, Sparkle > Big Ball Jam > Mike's Song > Leprechaun > Weekapaug Groove[3] -> Hold Your Head Up -> Faht[4], Rift, Good Times Bad Times

Encore: Amazing Grace, Daniel Saw the Stone > Tweezer Reprise

[1] Stash teases from Trey.
[2] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[3] Unfinished.
[4] Fishman on acoustic guitar.

Notes: Reba contained Stash teases from Trey. The Horse featured Trey on acoustic guitar and Faht featured Fishman on acoustic guitar. Weekapaug was unfinished.

My second show..I was 18...I hopped the fence....it was rad.

DoW

Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

VA $l!m

Quote from: barnesy305 on July 17, 2013, 04:05:28 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on July 17, 2013, 01:18:17 PM
Today is the 20th anniversary of my 1st Phish show  8-)

Saturday, 07/17/1993
The Filene Center at Wolf Trap, Vienna, VA

Soundcheck: Jump Monk tease, Shaggy Dog, Nellie Kane, Leprechaun, The Mango Song (x2), Funky Bitch (x2), Punch You in the Eye, Blues Jam

Set 1: The Landlady > Runaway Jim, Sample in a Jar, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, Stash, Reba[1], Chalk Dust Torture, The Horse[2] > Silent in the Morning > The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony > David Bowie

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Tweezer, The Squirming Coil, It's Ice, Sparkle > Big Ball Jam > Mike's Song > Leprechaun > Weekapaug Groove[3] -> Hold Your Head Up -> Faht[4], Rift, Good Times Bad Times

Encore: Amazing Grace, Daniel Saw the Stone > Tweezer Reprise

[1] Stash teases from Trey.
[2] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[3] Unfinished.
[4] Fishman on acoustic guitar.

Notes: Reba contained Stash teases from Trey. The Horse featured Trey on acoustic guitar and Faht featured Fishman on acoustic guitar. Weekapaug was unfinished.

My second show..I was 18...I hopped the fence....it was rad.
:rockout:

yeah, wolftrap had no idea what hit them, lol.
what a kiler scene.

i had just moved to Vienna  a month before, about 2 miles away from the venue, so all my richmond friends came up.
Best part was i was the oldest, just turned 19, and was elected to carry the cooler in since they allowed beer to be brought in! :beerbang:
--dont think ive ever seen a venue do that since.
$15 for tix!
i was actually already pretty into Phish that year since Rift had just released that Spring i believe.
unfortunately i had passed on the 92 Floodzone show in richmond that coulda been my first. :|
but this one was pretty solid good 1st show and has the nice Leprechaun kick down (2nd time played?) i would later appreciate more.
pretty sure i ate a few boomers... but mostly just partied about with the VA crowd that had people i knew from everywhere.
good times. 8-)

GBL

Quote from: VA $l!m on July 17, 2013, 03:17:20 PM
15 years ago i caught this gem with a 2nd set that kicked the tour into high gear for sure.

Link Friday, 07/17/1998

Set 1: Makisupa Policeman > Ya Mar, Gumbo[1], Divided Sky, Waste > My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, My Soul

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Mike's Song > Weekapaug Groove[2] > Character Zero

[1] Manteca tease.

Notes: Gumbo included a Manteca tease. This unfinished Weekapaug included syncopated jamming and a tease of the theme that signals the closing of the jam segment of Taste by Trey.

LOL at 4 song 2nd sets!

Wow, this band used to be SO good
If this is love, I'm never going home..

VA $l!m

Quote from: GBL on July 18, 2013, 06:49:26 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on July 17, 2013, 03:17:20 PM

Link Friday, 07/17/1998

[1] Manteca tease.

LOL at 4 song 2nd sets!

Wow, this band used to be SO good

lulz, and zero doesnt even really count.
more like a refrain.

VA $l!m

2 things today-

1. 7-19-94 Deer Creek Amp.
caught my 1st SHAKEDOWN!! was right down lower left under the shed about 10 rows back and screaming @ Phil -- "BRING IT!!!"  :rockout:

2. 7-19-98 was mysteriously abducted by aliens somewhere near Humbolt CA on the way to the Shoreline show.
arrived late, and got shut out  :-( . swapped rides post show and made our way south into the dessert...

gah

Quote from: VA $l!m on July 19, 2013, 02:48:55 PM
2 things today-

1. 7-19-94 Deer Creek Amp.
caught my 1st SHAKEDOWN!! was right down lower left under the shed about 10 rows back and screaming @ Phil -- "BRING IT!!!"  :rockout:

2. 7-19-98 was mysteriously abducted by aliens somewhere near Humbolt CA on the way to the Shoreline show.
arrived late, and got shut out  :-( . swapped rides post show and made our way south into the dessert...

I'm interested more in the story of 98
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

VA $l!m

15 yr anni of one of my all time favorite attended:

Monday, 07/20/1998
Ventura County Fairgrounds, Ventura, CA

Soundcheck: Jam

Set 1: Bathtub Gin, Dirt > Poor Heart[1], Lawn Boy, My Sweet One, Birds of a Feather, Theme From the Bottom, Water in the Sky, The Moma Dance, Split Open and Melt

Set 2: Drowned -> Makisupa Policeman[2] > Maze, Sea and Sand, Prince Caspian > Harry Hood

Encore: Sexual Healing[3] > Hold Your Head Up, Halley's Comet

[1] Several false endings, including a Free Bird-style ending.
[2] Long, atypical jam.
[3] Phish debut.

Notes: Poor Heart featured several false endings, including a Free Bird-style ending. Makisupa included a long, atypical jam. Sea and Sand (first since NYE 1995, or 166 shows) was an appropriate choice, given the venue's location near the beach. Sexual Healing made its Phish debut at this show with Fishman reading the lyrics off the back of a show poster. As delay loops built to end Halley's Comet, the band left the stage one by one. The soundcheck's jam contained several quotes of Venus (Shocking Blue). This show was released as part of the Ventura box set.

just one of those shows that i cant put into words how perfect it was for me being there.
& i still probably listen to this show more than any other for the fact it has a flow and setlist that represents perfection for me.

"... we came outta the dessert... landed on the beach, seagulls and rolls, friends from the Northeast...
transient memories from the future and past.
sexual healing would come at last.
caspian soared, and maze befuddled. hood was on point and someone musta got puddled.
halleys funk sent us dancing into the night. :banana:
& hitched a ride to long beach with some freaks i just met...
but that split open, drowned, and bathtub i would soon not forget."":mrgreen:

blatboom

pretty cool Slim and Igbo have the same first show*, I remember talking to Igbo about that riding down to Hampton in 'o9

* - predating their friendship

antelope19

Remember when phish played shows that didn't put you to sleep?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

blatboom

VA $l!m

in light of last night's show it is important to mention that i've always regarded the 98 ventura version of CRapsian as my favorite.
i guess thats not saying all that much, but i really really dig the soaring jam with the sixteenth(?) note runs trey does... which pop up again in hood.
he was so jacked that night.
i miss that guy. 8-)