News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

Quote from: PG on October 15, 2013, 01:06:27 PM
19 years ago tonight - the Maker with DMB. This was actually a great show. Still my only trip to Oak Mtn.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/119690/Flashback-Dave-Matthews-Band-And-Phish-Collaborate-On-The-Maker

QuoteEver since Phish started playing large venues they've gone without having opening acts in all but the rarest occasions. The Vermonters made a few exceptions in the mid '90s, most notably for the Dave Matthews Band in 1994 just before the DMB hit it big. Dave and his band opened a five shows for Phish in 1994, one of which took place 19 years ago tonight at Oak Mountain in Pelham, AL.

Phish played a pair of sets on that Saturday night in Alabama and when they returned for the encore, following a drum duet by Jon Fishman and Carter Beauford, all of the Dave Matthews Band came out for a debut cover of Daniel Lanois' "The Maker." Matthews handled vocals on the tune, which the Jerry Garcia Band, Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson have also covered over the years, with Anastasio providing falsetto backing vocals. The version of "The Maker" the bands laid down that night still stands as the only version in Phish history, though Anastasio performed the tune a few times as a member of Dave Matthews & Friends.

https://soundcloud.com/copperpot5/phish-dmb-the-maker-10-15-94
I remember refusing to go in for DMB with my girlfriend and her sister. She was pissed.
Fuck that shit.
Paug FTMFW!

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: birdman on October 15, 2013, 06:33:40 PM
19 years ago tonight - the Maker with DMB. This was actually a great show. Still my only trip to Oak Mtn.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/119690/Flashback-Dave-Matthews-Band-And-Phish-Collaborate-On-The-Maker

QuoteEver since Phish started playing large venues they've gone without having opening acts in all but the rarest occasions. The Vermonters made a few exceptions in the mid '90s, most notably for the Dave Matthews Band in 1994 just before the DMB hit it big. Dave and his band opened a five shows for Phish in 1994, one of which took place 19 years ago tonight at Oak Mountain in Pelham, AL.

Phish played a pair of sets on that Saturday night in Alabama and when they returned for the encore, following a drum duet by Jon Fishman and Carter Beauford, all of the Dave Matthews Band came out for a debut cover of Daniel Lanois' "The Maker." Matthews handled vocals on the tune, which the Jerry Garcia Band, Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson have also covered over the years, with Anastasio providing falsetto backing vocals. The version of "The Maker" the bands laid down that night still stands as the only version in Phish history, though Anastasio performed the tune a few times as a member of Dave Matthews & Friends.

I remember refusing to go in for DMB with my girlfriend and her sister. She was pissed.
Fuck that shit.

Even back then, your hate ran that deep for those guys?
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

WhatstheUse?

Something tells me that Birdman was cool before cool was cool.
Bring in the dude!

barnesy305

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 15, 2013, 07:35:57 PM

Which is pretty cool.

Buffalo Budd

Holy shit, he's older than I thought.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

barnesy305

Because Dave Matthews sounds like his balls are being hit with a hammer...

VA $l!m

i saw DMB open for the phish @ the 4.20 show.
it wasnt that bad... i think... actually the onyl thing i remember is the sit in during the phish set.
i grew up with the bass player so it was cool seeing them at that point just right before they really broke.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

antelope19

Quote from: barnesy305 on October 15, 2013, 07:46:37 PM

Which is pretty cool.

Pffffffft......Wendell is about as cool as the clap.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

justjezmund

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 15, 2013, 07:55:19 PM

Holy shit, he's older than I thought.

Quote from: antelope19 on October 15, 2013, 10:20:47 PM
Quote from: barnesy305 on October 15, 2013, 07:46:37 PM

Which is pretty cool.

Pffffffft......Wendell is about as cool as the clap.

i'd say both of these are pretty accurate.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

rowjimmy

Quote from: barnesy305 on October 15, 2013, 01:58:51 PM

Fucking love that song, I only saw it once when Jerry played it at Hampton in '93.

That was pretty amazing. Second only to Shining Star that night.

PIE-GUY

...and 19 years ago tonight was the most epic encore I've ever seen. The band Highway to Hell, took their bow and left the stage. The crowd was so loud in that place that the band actually came back out... and played HARPUA!!

QuoteLink Sunday, 10/16/1994
Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Auditorium, Chattanooga, TN

Set 1: Rift, Horn, Foam, Fee[1] > Split Open and Melt, The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu > The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday, Axilla > Possum

Set 2: The Landlady > Poor Heart, Julius, Fluffhead > Big Ball Jam, Run Like an Antelope, Dog Faced Boy[2], Sweet Adeline[3], Sample in a Jar

Encore: Highway to Hell

Encore 2: Harpua[4]

[1] Trey sang verses through megaphone.
[2] Acoustic; without microphones.
[3] Without microphones.
[4] Narration told of Jimmy attending a Bootsy Collins concert.

Teases:
· Flash Light jam in Harpua

Notes: Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. Dog Faced Boy was acoustic and was, along with Sweet Adeline, performed without microphones. Before Dog Faced Boy, Trey introduced Fish for a "balloon and emotion solo...that will reach into your soul and rip your heart out of your body." Harpua included a Flash Light  jam and told of Jimmy attending a Bootsy Collins concert.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

emay

QuoteLink Saturday, 10/16/2010
North Charleston Coliseum, North Charleston, SC

Set 1: Kill Devil Falls, Guelah Papyrus, The Curtain With > The Mango Song > Sand, Limb By Limb, Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley, Uncle Pen, Pebbles and Marbles, Cavern > David Bowie

Set 2: Crosseyed and Painless, Dirt > Fluffhead > Also Sprach Zarathustra > Tweezer > Show of Life, You Enjoy Myself

Encore: I Been Around, Quinn the Eskimo > Tweezer Reprise

Teases:
· Guy Forget quote in You Enjoy Myself

I know its not as good as some of you vets, but 3 years ago today my mind was blown. This show floored me. I remember after the show just yellin at my friends "THAT WAS PHISH" everyone was so calm in my crew after this show, I raged the night away

birdman

Quote from: PG on October 16, 2013, 09:40:15 AM
...and 19 years ago tonight was the most epic encore I've ever seen. The band Highway to Hell, took their bow and left the stage. The crowd was so loud in that place that the band actually came back out... and played HARPUA!!

Set 1: Rift, Horn, Foam, Fee[1] > Split Open and Melt, The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu > The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday, Axilla > Possum

Set 2: The Landlady > Poor Heart, Julius, Fluffhead > Big Ball Jam, Run Like an Antelope, Dog Faced Boy[2], Sweet Adeline[3], Sample in a Jar

[3] Without microphones.

Teases:

Notes: Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. Dog Faced Boy was acoustic and was, along with Sweet Adeline, performed without microphones. Before Dog Faced Boy, Trey introduced Fish for a "balloon and emotion solo...that will reach into your soul and rip your heart out of your body." Harpua included a Flash Light  jam and told of Jimmy attending a Bootsy Collins concert.

One of the finest sounding venues I've had the pleasure of seeing phish in. Beautiful venue. The old lady ushers demanded we keep our shoes on.lol
Paug FTMFW!

khalpin

Quote from: birdman on October 16, 2013, 10:16:35 AM
Quote from: PG on October 16, 2013, 09:40:15 AM

[3] Without microphones.

Teases:

One of the finest sounding venues I've had the pleasure of seeing phish in. Beautiful venue. The old lady ushers demanded we keep our shoes on.lol
I listened to that yesterday and Trey's line in Harpua drove me nuts trying to remember what it was from (Where the Banshees live and they do live well)   I didn't have web access at the time.  Thanks for the reminder.  I just looked it up now and feel so much more at peace knowing that now.

anthrax

i love when this day rolls around - my first show...

Sunday, 10/22/1995  Assembly Hall, University of Illinois, Champaign, IL

Set 1: AC/DC Bag, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, The Sloth, Runaway Jim, Weigh > NICU, Fast Enough for You, It's Ice > Poor Heart > Sample in a Jar, I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome[1], Stash

Set 2: Golgi Apparatus, Possum -> Catapult, The Curtain > Tweezer -> Makisupa Policeman -> Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Life on Mars?, Uncle Pen, Slave to the Traffic Light > Cavern

Encore: Sweet Adeline, The Squirming Coil