News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2010/11 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Started by Undermind, December 04, 2010, 10:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Augusto

Multibeast12

Have high hopes for my Cubs this season but know I'll end up  :shakehead:  :cry: and another year down for not winning.

antelope19

Hearing rumors that the O's are kicking the tires on Vlad. 

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense though. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

VDB

Quote from: antelope19 on January 25, 2011, 10:07:33 AM

You're right. He's way too good.
Is this still Wombat?

antelope19

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on January 26, 2011, 09:58:18 AM
Quote from: antelope19 on January 25, 2011, 10:07:33 AM

You're right. He's way too good.
:roll:

He's a liability in the field and who knows how much he has left in the tank. That said, He's probably an upgrade over our other current DH options like Luke Scott.

antelope19

Some solid moves by the Jays recently......I'm sure Matt is proud.   :-D

The weather up north might not be all that pleasant at the moment, but the Toronto front office is smoking hot. Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos somehow convinced the Angels, who had been dormant and reserved through the first three months of the offseason, to suddenly take on outfielder Vernon Wells and the $80-plus million remaining on his eyesore of a contract.

But the Angels didn't simply acquire Wells. They traded for him, and gave up two productive players in Mike Napoli and Juan Rivera in order to land him.

On a roll, Anthopoulos flipped Napoli to the Rangers just yesterday for reliever Frank Francisco, who proved capable of saving games in Texas and is likely to beat out Octavio Dotel, Jon Rauch and Jason Frasor for Toronto's ninth inning role this spring. Napoli might have done well in a flexible role for the Blue Jays, slugging homers at catcher, first base and designated hitter, but pushing him out of town should help expedite the development of young and powerful catcher J.P. Arencibia.

In the last five days, the Blue Jays have rid themselves of a massive and overbearing contract commitment, filled a need in their bullpen and acquired a quality backup outfielder. I taught my dog to flip a treat off his nose and catch it in his mouth.

mattstick

Our bullpen is so money now.

Our starting rotation is stacked with young talent.

I'm a little nervous about the offense, but you've got to expect Lind and Hill to bounce back, while Bautista regresses a little.

It's fun to have, not just competent management, but someone who makes bold moves in the present but keeps an eye on the future.

That said, I will miss Vernon Wells, he was a great Blue Jay - but with Rajai Davis in CF stealing 50+ bases, and Juan Rivera getting on base and doubles power, I don't think we'll miss his offence or defense.

mattstick

antelope19

The Orioles and Justin Duchscherer have come to terms on a one-year deal, according to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick.

Duchscherer will be guaranteed $750,000 even if he doesn't throw a pitch for Baltimore. The guarantee will up to $1.1 million if he makes the Opening Day roster, and he can earn $4.5 million in all. If Duchscherer is healthy, he'll probably be the team's fourth starter, leaving Jake Arrieta and Chris Tillman battling for one spot. It's a nice deal for the O's.

If he pans out, this could be great for us......

ETA: Just saw this too
ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Orioles are sticking with their $4.5-5 million offer to free agent Vladimir Guerrero.

The O's are content with having Luke Scott at DH and Felix Pie/Nolan Reimold in left field, so if Vlad doesn't consider the offer satisfactory, they'll simply move on. They feel as if they're the only team really bidding on Guerrero at this point, so there's little incentive to up the ante. Vlad has expressed a hesitancy to go to Baltimore, but it's looking far and away like his best option at this point.

Interesting.....

DoW

liverpool sold fernando torres.  now the red sox can sign adrian gonzalez.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

antelope19

Psyched about our line up this year!

mattstick

Jose Bautista - $65 mil!

The 2011 Jays might win 100 games and this might be the best summer of my life.

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on February 17, 2011, 01:32:11 PM

Jose Bautista - $65 mil!

The 2011 Jays might win 100 games and this might be the best summer of my life.

Lulz.

Brady Anderson'd

GBL

All your baseball teams suck..

Go Twins!
If this is love, I'm never going home..

G. Augusto

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2011/news/story?id=6131020&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_6131020

Miguel Cabrera faces DUI charge

QuoteLAKELAND, Fla. -- Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera was arrested late Wednesday on suspicion of drunken driving in Florida, police said, the latest episode for the first baseman who has struggled with drinking-related problems.

Cabrera, 27, was spotted by a deputy in a car with a smoking engine alongside a road in Fort Pierce. Inside the vehicle, Cabrera smelled of alcohol, had slurred speech and took a swig from a bottle of scotch in front of a deputy, according to the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office. He refused to cooperate and more deputies were called to the scene.

Miguel Cabrera
AP Photo/St. Lucie County Sheriff's OfficeMiguel Cabrera was arrested by the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office and charged with driving under the influence and resisting arrest.

The arrest occurred about 110 miles southeast of Lakeland, where the Tigers hold spring training. Pitchers and catchers began workouts earlier this week, but position players like Cabrera don't start until Saturday.

"It's hard," said second baseman Carlos Guillen, who is in camp recovering from an injury. "He's a really good friend. I know he was working hard in the winter to have a good season this year."

According to the police report, Cabrera was wandering into the road with his hands up before he was handcuffed. The report quoted him as saying, "Do you know who I am? You don't know anything about my problems," and cursed at deputies who tried to get him into a patrol car.

One deputy struck Cabrera in the left thigh several times with his knee after Cabrera pushed into him, causing the ballplayer to fall into the patrol car. Cabrera refused to take a breath test, deputies said.

He was arrested on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol and resisting an officer without violence. He posted $1,350 bond and was released from jail at 7:45 a.m. Thursday.

The news was slow to reach the Tigers' spring training complex, but Guillen, who like Cabrera is from Venezuela, was shaken when he found out.

"Yeah, I'm worried about him," Guillen said, according to MLB.com, "because he's got a lot of talent. He's got the potential to be a Hall of Famer one day. Sometimes you have people around you that are not good for you. You think they're your friends, but they're not really friends."

Detroit general manager Dave Dombrowski wasn't immediately available for comment.

Cabrera is coming off perhaps his best season. He hit .328 with 38 home runs and 126 RBIs in 2010 and finished second to Josh Hamilton in the American League MVP vote.

Cabrera signed an eight-year, $152.3 million extension with the Tigers in 2008. He is under contract until the 2015 season.

Mike and Mike in the Morning

ESPN MLB Insider Buster Olney shares the breaking news about Detroit Tigers star Miguel Cabrera's arrest.

More Podcasts ยป

In 2009, police said the All-Star first baseman got into a fight with his wife after a night of drinking, right before his team surrendered the American League Central Division title to the Twins.

Dombrowski had to pick up Cabrera at the station after that incident. No charges were filed.

During spring training last year, Cabrera said he was done drinking alcohol after he spent much of the offseason in counseling.

"You guys write in the paper 'alcoholic,' that's not right," he said last March before a spring training workout. "I don't know how to explain, but it's not an alcohol problem."

Cabrera has a home in Boca Raton, about 75 miles south of Fort Pierce. There was no phone listing for him.