News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Umphrey's McGee

Started by macaronihead, June 19, 2011, 12:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Cool acoustic version of Plunger with some discussion about the song origin afterwards...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/QuunXslC1l8
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

DoW

already had plans to go see UM in Portland in a week and a half.  they announced that the 2nd set will be all improv.
I've seen and listened to when they do it for UMBowl and have really enjoyed it.  looking forward to it even more than I already was.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: DoW on January 18, 2017, 07:44:43 AM
already had plans to go see UM in Portland in a week and a half.  they announced that the 2nd set will be all improv.
I've seen and listened to when they do it for UMBowl and have really enjoyed it.  looking forward to it even more than I already was.

I don't think I've ever heard any of their full improv sets. They've always struck me as more of a prog rock band as opposed to an improv group. I'll have to search one of those sets out.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

DoW

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on January 18, 2017, 08:19:55 AM

I don't think I've ever heard any of their full improv sets. They've always struck me as more of a prog rock band as opposed to an improv group. I'll have to search one of those sets out.
just find any UMBowl show and they always have a "quarter" (set) that is improve.
I'm not going to get into the whole discussion of how UM normally plays.  it's been discussed enough.

rowjimmy

With Joshua Redmond too, right?

I think a certain podcast may be talking to their kbd player soon.

DoW

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 18, 2017, 08:56:29 AM

With Joshua Redmond too, right?

I think a certain podcast may be talking to their kbd player soon.
correct.

Lifeboy

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on January 18, 2017, 08:19:55 AM

They're definitely an improv group just as much as most other "jam bands". A lot of their jams are more "organized", as they do the baseball-like hand signals and what not.

I've been on a huge UM kick lately. They're such an amazing band. So tight and concise. And Jake is a mind-blowingly good guitar player.

The crowd at their show at Cains last year was unlike any crowd I've ever been a part of. Totally insane. They noticed too, and Brenden even said "you guys were the best crowd we've had in a long time and we wont forget that."

Something I'll never forget, thats for sure.

They 'liked' a tweet of mine and Joel (keys) replied to a tweet of mine from his account. I thought that was pretty cool.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

kellerb

Quote from: Lifeboy on January 18, 2017, 09:33:15 AM
They 'liked' a tweet of mine and Joel (keys) replied to a tweet of mine from his account. I thought that was pretty cool.

Joel seems like a really good dude.  Random 3rd-party lady from Indy tweeted looking for tickets to a show in Cincy and I retweeted her to him, and he hooked her up with comps.

rowjimmy

Quote from: kellerb on January 18, 2017, 10:57:28 AM
Quote from: Lifeboy on January 18, 2017, 09:33:15 AM

Joel seems like a really good dude.  Random 3rd-party lady from Indy tweeted looking for tickets to a show in Cincy and I retweeted her to him, and he hooked her up with comps.

Joel is definitely a friendly cat and very active on the tweets. He used to Phish shows in the 90s so he can't be all bad, right?

Lifeboy

I have always loved UM, but I'm kind of "rediscovering" them and actually delving into shows/tours. They're seriously a fantastic band.

And I love all of Jake's guitars and his tones. I'm a strat guy, and Jake plays some awesome G&Ls. I love the presence of a metal-ish tone in their music. Used somewhat sparingly sometimes, but enough in a show to add something extra to their sound
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

rowjimmy

mistercharlie

Quote from: Lifeboy on January 18, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
I have always loved UM, but I'm kind of "rediscovering" them and actually delving into shows/tours. They're seriously a fantastic band.

And I love all of Jake's guitars and his tones. I'm a strat guy, and Jake plays some awesome G&Ls. I love the presence of a metal-ish tone in their music. Used somewhat sparingly sometimes, but enough in a show to add something extra to their sound

I remember hearing them cover a Tool song and it was great, very metal.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.