News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R17/W04 1995-12-02 Veterans Memorial Coliseum, New Haven, CT

Started by pcr3, February 05, 2014, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcr3

QuoteSaturday, 12/02/1995
New Haven Veterans Memorial Coliseum, New Haven, CT

Set 1: Prince Caspian, Runaway Jim, Mound > Guelah Papyrus, Reba[1], My Sweet One, Free, Taste That Surrounds, Bouncing Around the Room, Possum[2]

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Maze > Simple -> Faht[3], Tweezer > A Day in the Life > Golgi Apparatus, The Squirming Coil, Tweezer Reprise

Encore: Bold As Love

[1] No whistling.
[2] All Fall Down signal.
[3] Fishman on acoustic guitar.

Was my first December 1995 show, and, aside from the Tweezer, I have not listened to it that much since.  Overshadowed a bit by some of the shows that came later in the month...

http://www.phishtracks.com/#shows/1995-12-02
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

justjezmund

wow this show hasn't been reviewed?  awesome.  the tweezer is the epitome of cocaine fuled machine gun. :rawk:
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

emay

niiice, enjoy the faht > tweez on this.

whole second set is pretty smokin

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Thrillhouse

This tweezer peaks about 5 times more than I could ever hope to with a sexy lady.

Ya. It's that good.

P.s.  I suck at sexs
Quote from: bvaz on February 14, 2012, 02:59:09 PM
I can only imagine how much I would hate people at an event like 'roo.

Pebbles and marbles, like things on my mind...

kellerb

Quote from: KingOfPrussia2155 on February 05, 2014, 08:05:35 PM
This tweezer peaks about 5 times more than I could ever hope to with a sexy lady.

Ya. It's that good.

P.s.  I suck at sexs
It has 1 peak before the verse, then 5 more?

pcr3

"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Caravan2001

Was 5th row for this bitch. What a snow storm to and from.  Frank Pepe's pizza before, Mamouns falafel after.  Sick Tweezer, shit venue (but my hometown coliseum nonetheless).  Nutmeg State 4lyfe.

/end review.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Caravan2001 on February 05, 2014, 11:58:38 PM
Was 5th row for this bitch. What a snow storm to and from.  Frank Pepe's pizza before, Mamouns falafel after.  Sick Tweezer, shit venue (but my hometown coliseum nonetheless).  Nutmeg State 4lyfe.

/end review.

Mamoun's. Yummmmm

Superfreakie

/end review.

I was at this show as well. I don't remember anything.

/end review
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

khalpin

Quote from: Superfreakie on February 06, 2014, 01:09:51 AM

/end review.

/end review
:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Superfreakie

Quote from: khalpin on February 06, 2014, 07:14:42 AM
Quote from: Superfreakie on February 06, 2014, 01:09:51 AM

/end review.

/end review
:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

I lied, I might actually remember the snow, and driving tripping through the snow, but then again, I think it snowed somewhere on the road to and from nearly ever venue that December. Snow, cold, rails and doses.....that's December '95 in a nutshell.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

emay

pretty sure those last two stipulations are going to see phish in a nutshell

PIE-GUY

Saturday, 12/02/1995
New Haven Veterans Memorial Coliseum, New Haven, CT

Set 1: Prince Caspian - skipped it.

Runaway Jim - Perfect opener! And just a hint of machine gun fire from Trey in the jam. Nice!

Mound > not much to report, but great 1st set fodder.

Guelah Papyrus - Yup.

Reba[1] - First of all, let me say that I remember being upset when they started skipping the whistling... not nearly as upset as when they played the first unfinished Harry Hood, mind you. But upset. Still, this Reba is pure Fall 95 greatness. Starts with a really nice chilled out jam that builds and builds and is fiery at it's peak. Just a great great great Reba jam.

My Sweet One - Is it me or does the entire band start this more than a half step flat and correct once the instruments come in?

Free - Love these 95 Frees - all Page bangin' away on the piano, no funky breakdown.

Taste That Surrounds - Fish just doesn't sing this one well. Somehow he got better at singing while playing drums about a year after this - I think he's even mentioned that the Remain in Light set really made him work on this skill. Anyway, I dig this tune in all its incarnations.

Bouncing Around the Room - This Bouncin' really smokes!  it starts off with just Fisman drumming; after a few bars Mike joins in.  In another few bars the lyrics start. The music continues to be just Mike and Fish, until Page does a little trill on the piano and then joins in. If Trey is hitting chords or playing at all, you can't tell.  His subtlety is amazing!  After two verses, Mike starts singing his "That time then" part.  Soon thereafter, Trey starts singing his part. After Trey does his part twice, Page starts singing "I awoke" with great emotion. In about
a minute, Trey starts playing this incredible triplet thing that repeats over and over. Eventually the singing stops and Trey's triplets are all that is left.  Incredible!  Get this tape!

Possum[2] - Love it when they actually have some fun with the intro. Then this jam is why 1995 is the best. Such fire. Trey just tears the jam a new one. Like Bowies from this same tour, this Possum has a segment that's almost Stash-like in how it gets locked into the tension.

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > fun!

Maze >  Pay Jorgan!! Trey's solo ain't bad either.

Simple -> Lovely little Simple Jam - Not too out there, but really nice.

Faht[3] - I saw this once - only when I saw it they didn't have the sound effects tape to play so the audience was instructed to add bird sounds, etc. toward the end.

Tweezer > In 1995, the first notes of Tweezer were perhaps the most exciting thing you could hear at a show. At 15 minutes, this one is not too crazy, but I love how Page sticks to the piano for so much of it. I'm 10 minutes in and he's still just banging away. And Trey turns on the Leslie speaker for short little bursts every so often. This Tweezer just rages. Then it breaks down to the old-school slow-down ending. Dig it.

A Day in the Life > Set closer already? Nope. I promise I never grew tired of this tune until 2009. You can hear the crowd singing along the who time, too, so you know they're digging it.

Golgi Apparatus - Set closer?? not even close!

The Squirming Coil - Set closer? think again... Lovely Page solo here. Lovely.

Tweezer Reprise - Rock and/or Roll

Encore: Bold As Love - Always a perfect exclamation point on the night.

Overall a solid fall 1995 show. Nothing crazy, but solid throughout. I have only been in this room one time... 12/29/1993... and the walls were all melting and transforming into big robot monsters and such, so I can't really remember what it was like. That said, I had some good buddies at this show and I remember hearing great things. This is the first time I've bothered to listen to it. Not sure I'll ever come back to it, either. YMMV. Give it a B.