News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2016 Presidential General Election

Started by VDB, September 26, 2016, 05:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Hicks

Who are these people that voted for Obama twice and Trump? 

I just can't understand how that mentality could possibly make any sense. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

The Venn diagram is very small if overlapping at all.
But keep in mind turnout in any given election is like half.
Is this still Wombat?

kellerb

Quote from: VDB on November 09, 2016, 10:22:52 AM
Democrats underestimated the masses' hatred of her to their ultimate peril.
This - the traditional Blue states have never understood how much the so-called Rust belt, etc. Really Really Hates Hillary.  Republicans have had 20+ years to build up that hate.

Quote from: Hicks on November 09, 2016, 11:30:44 AM
Who are these people that voted for Obama twice and Trump? 

I just can't understand how that mentality could possibly make any sense. 
Well, it doesn't.  Not making sense makes sense for a Trump vote.

Quote from: VDB on November 09, 2016, 11:32:57 AM
The Venn diagram is very small if overlapping at all.
But keep in mind turnout in any given election is like half.

It's the people that voted for Obama twice then didn't show up this time.
-6Million democrats vs -1Million Republicans compared to last time.  Something like that.

mistercharlie

Trump was the racist idiots Obama. Obama got young people and black people out to vote in record numbers and Trump did the same for stupid people and bigots.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mistercharlie on November 09, 2016, 11:49:47 AM
Trump was the racist idiots Obama. Obama got young people and black people out to vote in record numbers and Trump did the same for stupid people and bigots.

Pretty much this.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mattstick

I was the only white male within about 20 people on the subway this morning and I felt like people were staring at me wondering if I was the kind of person who supported Trump.

I'm grateful to know so many positive, kind and progressive Americans, I remember the feeling of HOPE from 8 years ago.  I want that back so bad right now.

mbw

Quote from: mattstick on November 09, 2016, 01:19:33 PM

I was the only white male within about 20 people on the subway this morning and I felt like people were staring at me wondering if I was the kind of person who supported Trump.

i had the exact same experience on the bus this morning.

VDB

Quote from: mattstick on November 09, 2016, 01:19:33 PM

In Canada? Dayum.
Is this still Wombat?

gah

Interesting to think about that perspective mbw and mattstick. On this flip side, you have my experience last week.

I was at the gas station, just getting some gas after work, minding my business, when two white dudes in a pick up truck slow rolled past me. I thought nothing of it. Until 2 minutes later when they drove by again and the driver rolled his window down to yell "Fucking Nigger!" at me...which I just kind of thought "Hmmm, that's interesting."...and went about my day. Not the first time I've heard some stupid shit in my life, so it wasn't anything new, but twice in one week, the week before the election, yeah, shit's gotten weird.

The way I see it, all those people that voted for him, were really voting for a free pass to say whatever the fuck they've been wanting to say for the last 8 years, or longer really. Just a free pass to be the asshole that you are, because hey, why the fuck not, our leaders do.

I did like the comment earlier that we are the same country that voted for Obama twice, so the potential is there. And then I also think, only something like 55% of potential voters actually vote, and the results are pretty much 50/50, so really, it's only like a quarter of the country is ignorant racist close minded xenophobic misogynist white trash assholes. That's not too bad, right?

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Buffalo Budd

Holy shit GAH, good on you for taking the higher road, douchebags deserved a serious beat down.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mattstick

Quote from: gah on November 09, 2016, 02:42:48 PM
Interesting to think about that perspective mbw and mattstick. On this flip side, you have my experience last week.

I was at the gas station, just getting some gas after work, minding my business, when two white dudes in a pick up truck slow rolled past me. I thought nothing of it. Until 2 minutes later when they drove by again and the driver rolled his window down to yell "Fucking Nigger!" at me...which I just kind of thought "Hmmm, that's interesting."...and went about my day. Not the first time I've heard some stupid shit in my life, so it wasn't anything new, but twice in one week, the week before the election, yeah, shit's gotten weird.

I definitely thought about the privilege I have in never before having been judged by my gender, sexual orientation or colour of my skin.

VDB

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on November 09, 2016, 03:05:13 PM
Holy shit GAH, good on you for taking the higher road, douchebags deserved a serious beat down.
Is this still Wombat?

DoW

can't bite my tongue anymore.
I did not vote for trump.  If I had to rank each and every candidate including everyone in the primaries, he'd be at the bottom of my list.  not only because of things he says, but also because he has no experience, does not have the personality to work with either party, etc.

however, do people really think that everyone who voted for Trump is an ignorant racist close minded xenophobic misogynist white trash assholes?

if so, you are no better than the people you are criticizing.
accept the fact that people rank issues differently and even though I most likely disagree, some people may feel like trump may address those issues better than the other candidates.

we do have more than one party in this country.  people in this thread only care about what THEY feel is correct and don't care about the rest of the population.  just because someone has a different view than you doesn't mean they are an ignorant racist close minded xenophobic misogynist white trash asshole.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate