News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2016 Presidential General Election

Started by VDB, September 26, 2016, 05:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

Your apparent lack of concern over the election of a dangerous demagogue to the US presidency is remarkably unsettling.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: mattstick on November 10, 2016, 08:54:19 PM

Your apparent lack of concern over the election of a dangerous demagogue to the US presidency is remarkably unsettling.

You thought black people were looking at you funny the day after. In Canada. Maybe you're taking this a little too hard?
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mattstick

VA $l!m

Quote from: mattstick on November 10, 2016, 08:54:19 PM

or par for the course.

and
Quote from: Hicks on November 10, 2016, 05:20:25 PM
The only question now is will it take a couple years for the global economy to meltdown from mismanagement and looting, or can we look forward to it in 2017?
TBh i think it will most likely resemble what happened with REagan but x10 or so.
a half dozen years of fake prosperity followed by hell when the bill comes.
most economists ive heard say his plan is basically trickle down voodoo econmoics on steroids.

though the domestic tax changes and whatnot probably arent the real concern.
the real question is how much of his promises to get rid of NAFTA and the TTP etc come to fruition.
im guessing it will really boil down to what is best for our corporate overlords.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

sls.stormyrider

the scary thing to me isn't Trump himself, but of all the craziness that has just been brewing for years and is now about to boil over. Trump is just a sign (and potential enabler) of all of that.
I think I posted the story in the "I hate" thread a while back, but a great guy and great doctor I know was chased out of Bangor ME because he is Arab. That behavior has been getting more and more open and more and more prevalent. Trump is a sign of the times.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mbw

Quote from: slslbs on November 10, 2016, 09:17:00 PM
the scary thing to me isn't Trump himself, but of all the craziness that has just been brewing for years and is now about to boil over. Trump is just a sign (and potential enabler) of all of that.
I think I posted the story in the "I hate" thread a while back, but a great guy and great doctor I know was chased out of Bangor ME because he is Arab. That behavior has been getting more and more open and more and more prevalent. Trump is a sign of the times.

Pffft, that must be a made up story.  People werent hateful  at him because he was arab, it was because they didnt agree with his stance on taxes.  Dont be so ignorant. 

ytowndan

Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 10, 2016, 08:30:36 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on November 10, 2016, 06:00:26 PM
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/10/501610842/trump-team-promises-to-dismantle-dodd-frank-bank-regulations

Buckle up, people.  A shit storm is on the horizon.

Dodd-Frank hasn't been very effective IMO at getting to the root cause of the problems that contributed to the financial crisis. Like most wide sweeping regulation, that doesn't mean all components are bad, but, on balance, I think it's been a net drag. However, Trump has also suggested bringing back Glass-Steagall. Now, I don't personally believe G-S caused the crisis (I'm in the minority in that view, even with some very smart banking regulation people I know/follow), but if you could trade D-F for G-S, would you

It's not worth pondering, honestly.  I'll humor you and say that if we could keep the CFPB as it stands and reinstate GS, I might compromise there.  But it doesn't matter.  Who knows what that clown really wants to do and, in any case, Congress will never go along.  All they'll do is gut DF and move on to the next thing.  I mean, do you really see Congressional leadership holding a vote on a new and effective GS? 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: ytowndan on November 10, 2016, 09:25:43 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 10, 2016, 08:30:36 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on November 10, 2016, 06:00:26 PM
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/10/501610842/trump-team-promises-to-dismantle-dodd-frank-bank-regulations

Buckle up, people.  A shit storm is on the horizon.

Dodd-Frank hasn't been very effective IMO at getting to the root cause of the problems that contributed to the financial crisis. Like most wide sweeping regulation, that doesn't mean all components are bad, but, on balance, I think it's been a net drag. However, Trump has also suggested bringing back Glass-Steagall. Now, I don't personally believe G-S caused the crisis (I'm in the minority in that view, even with some very smart banking regulation people I know/follow), but if you could trade D-F for G-S, would you

It's not worth pondering, honestly.  I'll humor you and say that if we could keep the CFPB as it stands and reinstate GS, I might compromise there.  But it doesn't matter.  Who knows what that clown really wants to do and, in any case, Congress will never go along.  All they'll do is gut DF and move on to the next thing.  I mean, do you really see Congressional leadership holding a vote on a new and effective GS?

Sure, I could see something like Sherrod and Wyden or Warner working with any number of Republicans on the Senate Finace Committee - Grassley, Crapo, Portman, Toomey all come to mind - to get some kind of compromise that rolls back much of D-F in return for reinstatement of G-S. Putting that into practice is likely much harder to do. But if the ultimate goal of D-F is to end TBTF (which it absolutely does not do), G-S reinstatement would be a far more effective lever to pull and I don't know why they wouldn't go for it.

But here's what I find curious about your response: you say it doesn't matter cause it's not politically tenable. I don't fully disagree with that statement, but a couple of pages ago you were all fired up about the myriad of politically impossible policies a Trump administration would entail. Granted, these are all hypotheticals and yes we do not know what he is going to do and yes, the prospect of a single party gov't is terrifying to my independent ass. All I'm saying is it's not all shitstorms and baby carcasses. In fact, I'd argue the prospect for meaningful financial reform will be greater in Jan 2017 than it has been for a long time, in no small part because of the GOP pigheadish stubborness to cede any ground to this president (I'm sure we'd disagree on the reasons for that stubborness tho, but that's a whole nother story).

The stories popping up of some of Trump's racist supporters being more emboldened over the past 36 hrs is indeed troubling. And now that the election is over, I truly hope Trump will stand up (hopefully as early as tomorrow) and tell those people to knock that shit off and that his administration will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law any violence in the name of hatred. And fuck him if he doesn't.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

He has certainly emboldened a lot of nutbags to believe that asshole behavior is not only not bad, but actually rewarded. (I mean, look where it got Trump.) My only hope is that as these people are drawn out of the woodwork, the greater number of us who prefer things like decorum, decency and adherence to the Golden Rule in our public and political lives will eventually overwhelm these lunatic elements and dispatch them back to the fringe.

You might have thought Trump merely running for the GOP nomination, to say nothing of securing it, would have kicked off just such a reaction, but sometimes you gotta hit rock bottom first, and although we just crossed a major milestone along the path there, I fear we may not have yet reached it.
Is this still Wombat?

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mbw

VDB

For a guy whose entire candidacy seemed to be built on people believing that he told it like it is, his supporters sure do seem to not give a shit about the actual things that he's actually said.
Is this still Wombat?

emay

yeah starting to sound like a pretty racist and xenophobic country we live in. These trump supporters man......

https://medium.com/@seanokane/day-1-in-trumps-america-9e4d58381001#.ee3l6g3no

Along with a Saudi student at U of Wisconsin that got beaten to death last night for no apparent reason

mbw

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on November 11, 2016, 01:07:11 PM
yeah starting to sound like a pretty racist and xenophobic country we live in. These trump supporters man......

https://medium.com/@seanokane/day-1-in-trumps-america-9e4d58381001#.ee3l6g3no

Along with a Saudi student at U of Wisconsin that got beaten to death last night for no apparent reason

no, there is no racism.  these people just like trumps health care plan.