News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Major League Baseball 2013/2014 Hot Stove Thread

Started by mattstick, October 31, 2013, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Yep, actually pretty happy the O's dumped Jim Johnson and his $10 million salary. Hopefully we can spend that money elsewhere and fill the LF/2B/SP holes we have.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

aphineday

Hearing a ton of talking about Joe Nathan and the Tigers being close.
Hope it's true.
I'd be happy for sure, but I really hope they'll take a shot at Tanaka
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

antelope19

The Orioles have expressed interest in free agents Ubaldo Jimenez, Shin-Soo Choo and Nelson Cruz, a source tells Jon Morosi of FOX Sports 1.
Their interest in Cruz was known, but Jimenez and Choo are new names on the team's radar. Jimenez hasn't drawn a ton of interest thus far, but the 29-year-old had a 3.30 ERA and 194/80 K/BB ratio over 182 2/3 innings in 2013 and will end up getting paid by someone this winter. Any team that signs the right-hander will have to forfeit a first-round pick.

:-o

mattstick

It's stupid that the draft pick compensation rewards teams for signing multiple free agents.

If be weary of Choo and Cruz, Ubaldo might be a sleeper signing for someone though.

God I hope the Jays are somehow in on Cano and then trade Bautista for a starter.

VDB

Quote from: mattstick on December 05, 2013, 08:13:16 AM
It's stupid that the draft pick compensation rewards teams for signing multiple free agents.

Don't you mean "penalizes"?
Is this still Wombat?

antelope19

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on December 05, 2013, 09:17:28 AM
Quote from: mattstick on December 05, 2013, 08:13:16 AM

Don't you mean "penalizes"?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

mattstick

No, if you sign one free agent, you lose one "worthwhile" pick somewhere in the sandwich round.

If you sign a second or even third, the picks that you lose are less and less relevant.

pcr3

Quote from: mattstick on December 05, 2013, 10:17:11 AM

No, if you sign one free agent, you lose one "worthwhile" pick somewhere in the sandwich round.

If you sign a second or even third, the picks that you lose are less and less relevant.

You actually lose YOUR pick in each successive round, and you also lose their bonus pool $ number from your total draft allocation. If you don't lose any free agents that you gave a qualifying offer to, you're basically punting on the next draft.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

mattstick

I guess this is new...? The year the Yankees signed CC Sabathia, Tex and AJ Burnett they basically gave up nothing for the 2nd and 3rd guys and the Jays recieved fuck all for losing Burnett.

It still rewards rich teams who will sign guys to short term deals so they can offer them Qualifying Offers (ie. Napoli and Stephen Drew) and gain picks or at least make it a wash by signing new FAs.

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on December 05, 2013, 10:51:10 AM

It still rewards rich teams who will sign guys to short term deals so they can offer them Qualifying Offers (ie. Napoli and Stephen Drew) and gain picks or at least make it a wash by signing new FAs.

Quote from: antelope19 on November 24, 2013, 12:55:43 PM
I know I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I would LOVE to see a salary cap in baseball.

mattstick

I'm still "anti salary cap" in baseball and it's mostly a philosophical notion.

Baseball is America's Pastime.  Capitalism rules America.  You can find ways to succeed in business without spending the most money and you can find ways to succeed similarly in baseball.

I think the salary cap system in Hockey is kind of shitty, in basketball it basically does nothing, and it seems to produce parity in the NFL but I can't say I understand it's structure all that well.

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on December 05, 2013, 11:47:17 AM

I'm still "anti salary cap" in baseball and it's mostly a philosophical notion.

Baseball is America's Pastime.  Capitalism rules America.  You can find ways to succeed in business without spending the most money and you can find ways to succeed similarly in baseball.

I think the salary cap system in Hockey is kind of shitty, in basketball it basically does nothing, and it seems to produce parity in the NFL but I can't say I understand it's structure all that well.

I hear ya and agree to an extent, but it's difficult to maintain success if you're in a small market with lesser resources.....even if you draft well. Implementing some sort of slary cap and profit sharing for MLB would only benefit the game.  More fans would be interested in the games because their teams would actually be competitive.   

antelope19

mattstick

Cano to the M's. Officially not scared of the Yankees lineup.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: mattstick on December 06, 2013, 11:13:04 AM
Cano to the M's. Officially not scared of the Yankees lineup.

10 years for a 31 yr old 2B? Damn. Jay-Z must be a helluva negotiator.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.