News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

F'ing Taxes

Started by Guyute, February 01, 2009, 02:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guyute

I look at how much I paid last year and want to throw up.  Now I am doing my taxes thinking I might get a little back and I have to pay more it looks like.  I hate this time of year.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

thechad

I'm did alright as far as the federal is concerned, but the state is another story.  However, it's not the states fault (completely), my job for some reason just refuses to take out enough to cover it, every year I head over to the HR dept. to let them know and ever year I fill out a new form and every year they don't take out enough, if it weren't for that I would be getting $1,200 back from the feds, unfortunately all of that and about another $150 is going to NYS.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

Ri©h

On top of all the other bullshit I have going on...  I'll be doing my taxes today.  Shit's flying through the fan like a summer breeze.

Guyute

I hope you get lucky and get a refund.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

Ri©h

Quote from: Guyute on February 02, 2009, 10:06:33 AM
I hope you get lucky and get a refund.

Thanks, man.  Wish you could have had better luck.

Guyute

the real pain in the ass is that I have 2 jobs in 2 states

antelope19

Make sure you're entering the EXACT amount you recieved for the previous stimulus package.  Apparently, it is causing all kinds of errors this tax season. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

antelope19

Quote from: Guyute on February 02, 2009, 04:08:00 PM
the real pain in the ass is that I have 2 jobs in 2 states

I went through this a few years back.  What a HUGE pain in the ass!  Unless you know what you're doing, I would recommend at least getting some tax software.  I screwed mine all up, which have since been fixed(and payed for) 

Ri©h

I know it may be a trendy little program but Turbo Tax worked wonders for me the year that I had two jobs in two states.

Guyute

I did Turbo Tax.   I actually ended up doing OK.  This is the first year I have ever been able to itemize, nice side effect is that the money I have donate for the previous 5 years I can claim this year since I haven't in the past.  That and a job change that caused me to pay too much in some areas and I went from owing $2500 down to about break even between federal and the 2 states.

antelope19

yup, I've used turbo tax the last 3 years and it makes life alot easier.

sunrisevt

Third--we use an accountant now, but the couple of years we used Turbo we did way better than doing it ourselves.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

blatboom

Quote from: antelope19 on February 04, 2009, 08:57:08 PM
yup, I've used turbo tax the last 3 years and it makes life alot easier.

same here.  It doesn't get any easier.

sls.stormyrider

Got the same accountant as Tom Daischle.

saved a lot of $ last year
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

blatboom

Quote from: slslbs on February 04, 2009, 10:04:26 PM
Got the same accountant as Tom Daischle.

saved a lot of $ last year

I know where you can get a job..