News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...

Started by whatapiper, May 23, 2009, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Still moving into my new MacBook Air... What's the Bit Torrent client people use on Mac now? Still Transmission?

mattstick

ph92

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 03, 2018, 05:20:34 PM
Still moving into my new MacBook Air... What's the Bit Torrent client people use on Mac now? Still Transmission?
personally I like Deluge the best. Use it for casual torrenting on Linux, it has a Mac client too.

If you're doing heavy duty, hundreds or thousands of torrents, it has issues. I've only used rtorrent successfully there, and you can homebrew install it quite easily. And you can install a graphical front end for it if you need to
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

tet

I've stuck with Transmission but don't use their auto-update after that last fiasco.  It's pretty fast and I like the configurable options a lot, so don't have much of a reason to change unless they decide to start installing backdoors again...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

rowjimmy

Installed QBittorrent for now based on this and twitter responses...

We'll see.

ytowndan

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 04, 2018, 10:25:56 AM
Installed QBittorrent for now based on this and twitter responses...

We'll see.

I can't speak to the Mac experience, but as a Windows user I love QBittorent.  It's a lot like what uTorrent was like before it turned to crap. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

sls.stormyrider

what's wrong with utorrent?
I don't torrent that much anymore but haven't noticed anything - maybe I'm not observant enough
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

ytowndan

Maybe too many people complained and it's back to normal now, but a few years ago it got loaded up with ads and you had to jump through hoops to get them to go away. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

tet

FINALLY - someone made a good Acestream app for Mac!  It's still just in a WINE bottle but it works and is way better than the last shitty version of this that had been floating about for years.  If you want to watch some awesome streams from the underbelly of the interwebs, enjoy: https://acestreamformac.squarespace.com/
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

mattstick

When I bought my MacMini in 2013 a 1TB Fusion drive was not that expensive.  I have about 750GB used on my internal Mac HDD.
New Macs have SSD drives and get super expensive if you want more than 256GB of storage.

If you have a 128GB iPhone you can't even backup your device without taking up half or all of your internal storage.

Less of a question and more of a WTF and How The Fuck and I'm going to replace this Mac Mini.

ph92

Quote from: mattstick on February 11, 2019, 03:20:22 PM

When I bought my MacMini in 2013 a 1TB Fusion drive was not that expensive.  I have about 750GB used on my internal Mac HDD.
New Macs have SSD drives and get super expensive if you want more than 256GB of storage.

If you have a 128GB iPhone you can't even backup your device without taking up half or all of your internal storage.

Less of a question and more of a WTF and How The Fuck and I'm going to replace this Mac Mini.
What kind of Mac are you looking at? Another Mini? Because if you're getting the 2018 mini, the storage is soldered onto the board, so you cannot upgrade it.

If you're looking at 2016+ Macbook Pros, you have the same issue as the 2018 mini.

If you're looking at 2012-2015 Macbook Pro Retinas, those can be upgraded with an adapter (see below) and a M.2 drive for the cheapest storage upgrade.

Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

mattstick

Downloaded Pine Player from the Mac App Store for SHN/FLAC playback.  Nice simple WinAmp style player.

Caravan2001

Quote from: mattstick on April 02, 2019, 06:17:39 PM

Downloaded Pine Player from the Mac App Store for SHN/FLAC playback.  Nice simple WinAmp style player.

Going to check that out- thanks!

emay

Quote from: Caravan2001 on April 03, 2019, 11:36:42 AM
Quote from: mattstick on April 02, 2019, 06:17:39 PM

Going to check that out- thanks!

Im still using VLC mostly but ill have to check this out