News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R7/W05: 11-04-1994 Onondaga War Memorial Auditorium, Syracuse, NY

Started by MiamiPhish, July 19, 2009, 08:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiamiPhish

Epic month of Phish + show I've never heard + awesome setlist = I'm very pumped to listen to this one.  This show precedes what is perhaps my favorite two set show, Kent St. 11/12/94.

11-04-94 Onondaga War Memorial Auditorium, Syracuse, NY

1: Sample in a Jar-> It's Ice-> Bouncing Around the Room, David Bowie, Colonel Forbin's Ascent-> Famous Mockingbird, Scent of A Mule, Suzy Greenberg-> Chalk Dust Torture

2: The Curtain-> Mike's Song-> Simple-> Mike's Song-> Tela-> Weekapaug Groove, Ya Mar, Golgi Apparatus-> Slave to the Traffic Light

E: Loving Cup-> Rocky Top

Lossless:  
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=526515

Lossy:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/piaiuz (for set I)
thanks pieguy!

Submitted Review:
1- August
2- Khalpin
3- RJ
4- Pie Guy
5- MiamiPhish

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

PIE-GUY

11-04-94 Onondaga War Memorial Auditorium, Syracuse, NY

1: Sample in a Jar-> This crowd's got energy to spare! Wow. I love it. Sample is meh, but the crowd is the star of track one.

It's Ice-> Again, the crowd is nuts during Fish's dance. The breakdown segment is 100% Page on piano. Love it! Trey yelling "Oh YEAH!" in the background toward the end.

Bouncing Around the Room – nothing out of the ordinary here.

David Bowie – Late fall 94 Bowies are soooooo good. This one is almost Stash-like for most of the jam. Then about 11 minutes in gets further away from any recognizable theme. Fish never lets it lose momentum, though. This kind of jamming in the first set was just crazy at the time, though. People had to go nuts hearing this thing!

Colonel Forbin's Ascent-> Famous Mockingbird, - Little lyrics flub from Trey at the very beginning. The Narration is great just because Fish gets so into it! "CAN YOU FEEL IT?!"

Scent of A Mule – Smell My Mule!!    

Suzy Greenberg->   PAGE!!! On fire, tonight! Fish: "Scott Buck went out with her you know... she's SICK SICK" love it.

Chalk Dust Torture  - leave 'em wanting more!

2: The Curtain-> a thing of beauty, and a great way to open a 2nd set. Drops right into...

Mike's Song-> fairly typical 94 Mike's jam that drops into Simple as expected...

Simple-> Fall 94 was all about the Simples!! Short jam with a very abrupt shift in key back to>

Mike's Song->  really just the "Rush ending" here. Just when people like me hope for H2 we get>

Tela-> not that I would complain. I love this song. Page sounds really nice.

Weekapaug Groove – Nice. The first 5 min are pretty standard shredsville. Then it breaks down so nicely. Page is on the Clav. Nobody is keeping time at all, but the beat is still there. Everyone including a "hey," if you will, until it starts to build back up again... then it right back into the paug jam like nobody's business... then it sounds like it's gonna end like so many paugs before it, but no! Trey drills the band right into the Can't You Hear Me Knockin' ending! Classic!

Ya Mar – strange 2nd set placement, but after a paug like that, people need to feel "at home" and this would do the trick.

Golgi Apparatus-> often a set closer, but not in 94 when they liked to play...

Slave to the Traffic Light – nice! 94 Hoods and Slaves are simply the best! Better than all the rest. But I digress. (oof, I just threw up in my mouth a little). This is typically beautiful Slave. Seriously beautiful.

E: Loving Cup-> What a beautiful buzz!!

Rocky Top – and a quick little number to send you home smiling. Fish is having a blast again, much like the Suzy in set 1.

Great show – fall 94 is my favorite tour for a lot of reasons – a few of them are on display here. The Weekapaug is by far the highlight of the show for me... The energy in the first set is palpable. Upstate NY is Phish country and this crowd is on fire!

Give the show a B+. Great pick from a great tour. Thanks for reading!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

MiamiPhish

Going up to NYC on Thursday so here's my review:

11-4-94

Set I:

Sample – I like how they go a little out there before they actually start playing, kindof like, we might play anything right now and then they bust into a nice warm up song.

It's Ice – thought I saw a segue on the setlist for this one, but clearly there is not.  Let's see what this Ice has to bring us.  Perfectly played composed section, slammin!  I absolutely cannot play this on guitar right now, would have to memorize so many notes...  Pretty funky jam, Page going off nicely, Mike funking it up too.  Trey with Shaft like chording.  Nice length for an Ice, though I would like to see an experimental extended Ice one of these days.  Fantastic bubbling up through the ice.  Great aud, btw.

>Bouncing Around the Room  - Nicely done.

David Bowie – Odd placement, but I'll take it.  Sounds like the band really came to play tonight (duh.)  This dark jam begins with Fish pounding out 16th notes and noticeable great band and audience interplay, it has that raw '94 evil feel.  There is no shortage of musical ideas present in this Bowie, its almost cluttered by too many ideas or moving too quickly through them, perhaps.  That said, this Bowie is absolutely face melting and awesome as well.  Absolutely gorgeous band play now with Page leading on the baby grand, wow, this jam could be considered a little cousin to or a seed that sprouted the famous Providence Bowie.  Now a-tonal hose and total hose from Fish.  Modal playing from Trey, who is absolutely on fire. Awesomely awesome Bowie.

Col. Forbin – amazing setlist and show so far.  Trey mentions our favorite rhombus. 

->Mockingbird – a little trouble with mockingbird, but who cares, this was an awesome mockingbird.

Scent of a Mule – Not the greatest Mule of all time, but played with high energy and the guys sound like they were having fun.

Suzy G – hot fire w/ mini stairway solo tease by trey.  Standard awesomeness.

>CDT – gets slightly dissonant at the front of the jam, with muted machine gun Trey going at it!  All kinds of shrage in this CDT as you might expect.  End o set.

Set II:

Curtain – Hot hot hot! Directly into

>Mike's Song – nice, quick pace about it.  Love this recording as you can really hear the crowd get into it.  Kinda spotty entrance to the jam from Trey, then next try is far better.  Pretty dark, but somewhat directionless jam a few minutes in. Mike's finds its way to
-> Simple – really nicely played, great vocal harmony as well.  Dark segue back to

-> Mike's Song – pretty cool little segment, 3 chord progression and decent into

->Tela – awesome!  I love Page's vocals on this tune.  Very well done with a very nice segue into

>  Week4paug Groove – Brief Battle of Evermore tease from Mike in the intro?  Sounded like it for about 1 second, check it out.  Nice melodic play from Trey and the whole band really.  Hot weekapaug!  Damn, this is an awesome Paug, now in total hose mode!  Sounds like a jam on 'The Real Me' but it is 'Can't You Hear Me Knockin''; total weekahose at what must be close to 10 minutes in!  INTENSE release, awesome!  Then gets very quiet after raging for minutes!  How do you follow this up?  By going into a Can't You Hear Me Knockin' jam to finish, redonkulous. 

Ya Mar – Dance fest. Standard awesome.  Stash tease in there as well, near the end.

Golgi Apparatus – Really good setlist this night. 

>Slave to the Traffic Light – the best way to end a show, imo.  Given how good the 11/26 version is, I'm expecting quite a bit from this little diddy.  Nice ambience to start the jam and a really nice build as well; this Slave could've just as easily ended up on A Live One, imo.  Very nice!

Encore:

Loving Cup – Ahh reminds me of Hampton.

Rocky Top – Tennessee.

Overall, a great show, but not one for the ages.  Awesome setlist with a few highlights but nothing I feel I'd come back to over and over again.  The Bowie was very nice as was Forbins->MBird.  The Mike's-Simple-Mike's-Tela-Weekapaug was tasty, but not mind blowing nor earth shattering, unfortunately.  As a whole I give this show an A-, B+/A- playing and an A setlist.

khalpin

I usually listen to November '94 in order every so often, so the whole month tends to blend together for me.  I don't really remember this show as a being a single event.

Sample: Not the greatest choice for an opener, but I prefer these early in the show, so this works for me.

Ice: Here we go.  That crazy composed middle section is executed perfectly save for a minor flub at one point.  Then that middle improv section is actually funky for a while and then just starts to get out there.  Great stuff right there.  And it comes back full circle with a bang and some yelling by Trey?  I'm a big fan of Ice and this one is real solid. 

Bouncing: Is what it is...

Bowie: Ahhhh, fall '94 Bowies, how I love thee.  About a minute of the hi-hat followed by a super tight composed section.  Then this just starts going all over the place.  Tons and tons of awesome.  They touch on different pieces for a few measures and then go elsewhere.  It starts to get really dissonant around 10:00 and they go into what seems to be the return to the Bowie theme to close it out, but instead they go back into space.  SICK s*&t between starting at the 12:00 mark.  Just all out craziness for about a minute and a half.  Great job building the tension.   I'm having a tough time sitting still with the headphones on here at work.  And a little more craziness in the final passage to close it out.  Another awesome November '94 Bowie.

Forbin>Mockingbird: Nice spot here mid-way through the first.  VoL ensues, which was pretty rampant this tour.  Some added excitement from Fishman.  I think this is a hometown show for him, right?  Isn't he from Syracuse?  Pretty amusing version here.  Then into Mockingbird which is lightning fast and totally rips.  So tight.  More awesomeness ensues.

Scent of a Mule: Bluegrass enters the set.  Page goes pretty nuts there.  Good stuff.  Otherwise your basic Mule Duel.

Suzie: Set closer?  Was that a "That's just the way it is" tease there by Page ~3:20.  I don't know if that's the song, it's some 80s song by Don Henley or something.  Regardless, it's a nice solo spot for Page.

Chalkdust: Okay, here's our closer.  Send 'em out rockin'.  This was a hot version.

Real nice opening set here anchored by a monster Bowie and a ton of great playing throughout.

Curtain: Great way to kick off a set.  Well executed.  Right into:

Mike's>Simple>Mike's: After the lyrics section, it goes into a plodding jam without too much deviation from your basic Mike's.  Then > Simple.  I was hoping for Hydrogen, but no dice.  Virtually no jam section at all.  Maybe a minute and then back into Mike's.  Nice return there.

Tela: Sweet!  Very strange placement.  I'd almost go far as saying that it doesn't really work as it really sucks the energy out of the room, but I'll take Tela any way I can get 'er.  Nice version.  Trey tears it up at the end.  Then Fishman fades in with:

Week4paug: Weird intro by Mike.  Not sure quite what he was aiming for there.  Anyway, this Puag rages for a couple minutes and then they bring it down with Page on clav.  Great stuff right here around 6 minutes in.  Then they bring it right back up for a triumphant return.  WOW!  More shreddage.  And another huge peak a minute later.  Awesome!  And Can't You Hear Me Knocking to close it out.  Great Paug.

YaMar: Kind of late in the show for this one, I thought.  Pretty standard.

Golgi: A little early for a set closer.  Standard Golgi.

Slave: Here you go.  Gotta love getting one of these late in the second set.  They really start from nothing for the jam section.  Fantastic, gradual build on this one.  Real, real nice.  All you could ever want from a Slave.  Great way to close the set.

Loving Cup: standard

Rocky Top: Always a good encore in my book.  The band's certainly having fun here.

Great show.  I really enjoyed hearing it.  Just a wonderful time in the band's history.  No wonder we were so into Phish back then.  How could you not?  The Bowie, Week4paug and Slave were all fantastic versions that deserve repeated listening.  Trey and Page sounded particularly hot tonight.  Solid A show in my book.  Nice pick, Ben, even if it was blind.

MiamiPhish

for the record my 2nd pick was

12-28-93 Bender Arena - American University, Washington, DC

Soundcheck: Fee, Kashmir

1: Peaches en Regalia, Poor Heart-> Split Open and Melt, Esther-> Oh Kee Pa Ceremony-> Suzy Greenberg-> Ya Mar, It's Ice-> Fee-> Possum

2: Sample in a Jar, You Enjoy Myself, My Friend My Friend, Lizards, The Sloth, Fast Enough for You, Uncle Pen, Harry Hood, Highway to Hell

E: Memories, Golgi Apparatus

with an equally badass setlist

G. Augusto

Sample/Ice/Bouncing - Not necessarily my wish list trio to open a show, but it's '94 and the band is sounding good.

Bowie - Yo! That's some good placement right there! The really waste zero time getting into the jam, which is good. There's some goody '94 Fall shrage going on with a nice modulation ~10:50. They kick it in a major key jam for a sec then completely SMASH the return back into the Bowie theme.

Forbin - Trey forgets some lyrics here and there...A VOL during the narration (didn't I just hear this version?) TESTIFY! Love the James Brown stuffs. The whole narration is pretty much based around the VOL, so the transition into M Bird is a little odd.

Bird - Fluid.

Scent - Eh...not a Scent fan, but '94 was the only year I did tolerate it.

Suzy - I dig Trey's second "solo" section. Pretty noisy, which is different.

Chalk - Somewhat similar to the ALO (11-16-1994) version. Plenty of energy and a nice cap to the set.

Curtain - Get's things going again.

Mike's - Pretty beefy (albeit short) version. What you'd expect from a Fall '94 Mike's >>>

Simple - Did they turn up the bass? Another Woody Wood tease going on. Back into >>>

Mike's - The transition is a little off and then they recompose for a proper BANG into the Mike's theme.

Tela - I actually really like this here instead of a H2. I'm a Tela fan.

Week - ~4:40, they take it out there. Pretty sweet speed up with an equally as nice return to the proper jam. CYHMK? ending.

Ya Mar - Some major key Stash teases. Odd placement, but it kinda continues the Weekapaug feel.

Golgi - Remember when Trey used to play that last lick correctly? Straight into >>>

Slave - Nothing too amazing, but a nice cap.

Cup/Rockytop - Nice duo to send them off.

On paper, this one looks like it would hit a little bit harder.
The Bowie is my highlight and I'll give it a B+.
a

rowjimmy

On set two now. I'll post my review tonight.
Can't wait to read what you guys have written about this one.

rowjimmy

1994-11-04

Set 1

Sample has an arena rock intro that seems just right in 1994.

Nice Ice with a great Page solo.

Bouncin' is straightforward and clearly a crowd pleaser. 

Bowie comes on with a spacey highhat intro. Nice quick pace with everybody keeping up; ah 94. This has me dancing ever-so-slightly in my seat on the train. Jam begins with a distinct downturn in tempo and tone. It's interesting to think about the band, recording multiple-tracks eagh night on this tour but not selecting a single David Bowie for A Live One. They were handing them out like singles in a strip club on this tour. The jam here builds up in the eighth minute and then starts question its own melodic sensibilities. Things get off kilter is a tense, dark, accellerando the bursts into the reprise groove briefly before fading into a pretty segment led bed Page's piano. Another build; back to the reprise @ 1340. They commit to it this time- with only short, spacey breaks- right through to the finish. 

Forbin slams into the room a few beats later. Trey has a little trouble with the lyrics early on but plays it well. 
> Vibration of Life great narration with funny interjections from Fish
> Famous Mockingbird is sweet. Rips, in fact.

Mule - They should all be this fast.   Page's solo is great.

Suzy - ain't no genius

Chalkdust - Trey is ripping shit up in this one. Hot! There's even some bizarre off key tension builds for the trippers. 

Set 2

Curtain - love this as an opener.  It's like a sudden onset of an ocean; watching wave grow and begin crashing over you; before you know it you're at sea. Not a high rotation tune at the time iirc. 

Mikes Song - straight into this. Nice tramps segment. Trey's solo is good but he derails it from the natural progression into the next segment for a bit.  Things straighten out and soon roll 
> simple :roll: was that woody woodpecker? 
> heavy subsonics bring us back to the end of Mike's. His is where I'd begin to dream of Hydrogen but...
> Tela happens! Can't complain about that. Gorgeous all the way through Trey smokes the final bit before "lullabye"  
> Weekapaug - fish gets it started and mike does some odd ridding before Trey scrapes a muted chord and the ser bizness kicks in. What's that melodic theme Trey is messig with at the beginning of his solo? I like it. @4:45 Trey gets into tight noodling an the whole thing gets weird. By 6min page is on the clav, mike is spreading balm on the audience and then by 7:15 the rawk monster is on the prowl. Trey is taking this up toward llama cruncg for a second before cutting to clean leads at the peak.  Then another peak! I hear a little knocking and then we're done. Nice. 

YaMar is placed interestingly but I dig it. Treys solo is nice

Golgi = Phish.  Seriously.

Slave - wait... slave at the end of the set? No way! Nice one. Standard excellence. 

Loving cup - so sweet

Rockytop - yee ha!