Author Topic: 06/27 - MPP - Columbia, MD - Post-Show Discussion and Review  (Read 10090 times)

Offline G. Augusto

• Show Club Moderator
  • Gamehendge
Re: 06/27 - MPP - Columbia, MD - Post-Show Discussion and Review
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2011, 07:44:03 PM »
Besides the maybe the Gin, I thought the Piper was the highlight of the show. Trey was all over the place, but I respected that fact that he was going for it.

That's what I was thinking while listening to it last night.
Trey must have had some serious rock song blasting in his earpiece that he was jamming along to, 'cause he definitely wasn't listening to the other guys.

Offline sophist

• Gamehendge
  • Warning: contains ergot
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2011, 08:17:28 PM »
This is one of the best 3.0 shows?!
Holy god.
1) No

2) Peep the 18 year old n00b trying to explain Phish to us (Phish_Lifer).   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Listening to the RMSTR now and honestly, this has got to be one of the worst 3.0 shows.

I remember not listening to these two shows so that I could listen to them on our flight to Fiji, and was all "WTF?" when I heard them.
I'm still all WTF?
I think a lot of the hype with this show is just the "wow" factor of the second set, but it's a paper tiger to me.  In actuality it's sloppy as shit, and just meanders.  Oh, and the piper sucks too. 
For as much as people like to hate on this show (hey, to each his/her own), I don't think I've seen anyone directly try to hate on this Piper. Go on, I dare you.
just did. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Offline nab

• In the Band
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2011, 11:02:47 PM »
This is one of the best 3.0 shows?!
Holy god.
1) No

2) Peep the 18 year old n00b trying to explain Phish to us (Phish_Lifer).   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Gotta love it when someone explains how large their music collection is by telling everyone how much of item x is in their Itunes.

Since those shows, my iTunes collection of Phish has gone from under 100 to 315, and is about to jump somewhere around 400.

Offline justjezmund

• Gamehendge
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2011, 12:06:11 AM »
people are still talking about this show? :|
It's like BJ Galore over here!

I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Offline sophist

• Gamehendge
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2011, 07:59:25 AM »
people are still talking about this show? :|
I know, it's like banging Terry's mom.  It should never be mentioned, and under no circumstances should any form of a high five be involved when mentioning it. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Offline VDB

• In the Band
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2011, 09:14:05 AM »
I'm not clear on what "every other 3.0 jam" sounds like, but assuming we're talking about the rather common formula of song -> rock jam -> ambient breakdown -> bouncy electronica-like sequence, then no, this Piper does not sound like that.

Sheesh, you'd think in an era constantly derided for its stagnation and lack of creative jamming, there'd be at least a little credit given when the band is trying for once to dynamically create spontaneous music (commentary on success of execution aside), but I guess not...
there is no explanation
it's all inside your head

de gustibus non disputandum

Offline fauxpaxfauxreal

• Gamehendge
  • Dreems. Dreme Dream Dreeme. All I have to do...
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2011, 09:59:57 AM »
voodoobr3w-Your first mistake was using logic.  This is obviously something that mpp2 haters do not possess ;)

Offline sophist

• Gamehendge
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2011, 10:33:03 AM »
I'm not clear on what "every other 3.0 jam" sounds like, but assuming we're talking about the rather common formula of song -> rock jam -> ambient breakdown -> bouncy electronica-like sequence, then no, this Piper does not sound like that.

Sheesh, you'd think in an era constantly derided for its stagnation and lack of creative jamming, there'd be at least a little credit given when the band is trying for once to dynamically create spontaneous music (commentary on success of execution aside), but I guess not...
It sounds like every other 3.0 jam because Trey jams in (literally) 9th chords and strums "rhythmically" to the beat of the rest of the band.  It's just like all of the 3.0 Drowned, and RnR.  It has that jam in it. 
voodoobr3w-Your first mistake was using logic.  This is obviously something that mpp2 haters do not possess ;)
pfffffffffffffffft.  Logic isn't the issue here, it's a lack of understanding of hearing a band do nothing new. 

Offline McGrupp

• Gamehendge
  • Out of my brain on the train
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2011, 10:36:36 AM »

Sorry dude but just because Trey is trying hard doesn't mean it's a good jam. I listened to it a few nights ago and I agree with all of the above posts. The jam is long (ish) but never develops any sort of theme and doesn't really go anywhere at all. But that's just my set of ears, I like plenty of jams that other people don't dig (see: portsmouth Gin).
Just two whiskies, officer.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Offline sophist

• Gamehendge
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2011, 10:40:34 AM »
I think the Portsmouth Gin has a good dose of RAWK peak to it, but that's about all I remember from it (but to me all 3.0 Gins have that hardy RAWK peak). 

Offline McGrupp

• Gamehendge
  • Out of my brain on the train
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2011, 10:47:10 AM »
I think the Portsmouth Gin has a good dose of RAWK peak to it, but that's about all I remember from it (but to me all 3.0 Gins have that hardy RAWK peak).

The whole thing builds from the start - no bs'ing around, no meandering like most 3.0 Gins. Def has "that" rawk peak, but I think they worked for it and earned it in this one. Trey's playing is kinda sloppy - he's clearly struggling, but I kind of like that about the jam. Its early summer and he's still working out the kinks. It's raw, but I really dig it.
Just two whiskies, officer.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Offline VDB

• In the Band
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »

It sounds like every other 3.0 jam because Trey jams in (literally) 9th chords and strums "rhythmically" to the beat of the rest of the band.  It's just like all of the 3.0 Drowned, and RnR.  It has that jam in it. 

Well, fair enough, I'm not a guitarist so I don't analyze the music from that perspective. I'm more apt to say something like this:

Trey was all over the place, but I respected that fact that he was going for it.
there is no explanation
it's all inside your head

de gustibus non disputandum

Offline rowjimmy

• Head Ache
  • 'Paug Admin
  • In the OTHER Band
  • No Questions. Just Rawk
    • Row Knows
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2011, 09:31:07 AM »
Show blows.

We had more adventuresome jamming at my daughter's birthday party where there was no music played and it wasn't even a party.

Offline Superfreakie

• Gamehendge
« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2011, 09:36:54 PM »
Show blows.

We had more adventuresome jamming at my daughter's birthday party where there was no music played and it wasn't even a party.

ROFLMAO....you've outdone yourself sir!!!  :clap:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.