News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

6/22/16- Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN - Post-Show Discussion

Started by Hicks, June 23, 2016, 12:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

PHiSH
06-22-2016
Xcel Energy Center
St. Paul, MN

Set I: Pigtail*, Wolfman's Brother, Daniel Saw the Stone#, The Dogs, Undermind, Dear Prudence%, Stash, Round Room$ > Horn, Uncle Pen^, Halfway the Moon, Walls of the Cave

Set II:  Mike's Song > I am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Bouncing Around the Room, Ghost@, The Line, Simple > I Found a Reason+, No Men in No Man's Land, Billy Breathes, Bathtub Gin

E: Water in the Sky, Character Zero

*Last time played:  12/28/10

#Last time played:  6/30/12

%Last time played: 10/31/94

$Last time played:  1/1/11

^Last time played: 8/31/12

@Little Drummer Boy tease

+Last time played: 10/31/98
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

WhatstheUse?

Man. So many thoughts.

So... They opened a tour with Pigtail. There's that.

Sick bust outs. Daniel!!!! Prudence, uncle penn, round room, horn, I found a reason! Some awesome songs there.

My mom had a total blast. Her only complaint is they didn't jam at all. Which was a hilariously accurate and astute observation for her first show. Like... None... At... All. Even the songs that had type 1 jams seemed abbreviated.

Oh and those LEDs.... Totally a buzz kill all around. They had a water theme visulaizer for an entire song... Nothing really changed.  Then some fire/ember looking thing for another. It was some iTunes visulaizer +1 stuff. Didn't interact with the music correctly at all. Also -- someone is doing that separately from Kuroda, right? The lights and the LEDs were not synced. Even with the color schemes. Colors were not complimenting eachother Between the lights/LED. Furthermore, the LEDS were so much brighter than the normal lights - to the point that it made what used to be 'normal lights' seem....obsolete? Or just.. Not that bright compared to the other lights. It was weird. I was relieved every time they turned the LEDs off

.. I am intrigued what they do with this setup in other venues and/or if it changes. Also, not sure if was mentioned yet - the lights above the band completely reconfigured from the first set to the second. That was cool...

Bring in the dude!

mistercharlie

That setlist is sure 'song-y'. Although I do love the look of all the bust outs, I was hoping they'd come out of the gates swinging for the fences. I guess they're saving the 'swing for the fences' jams for Wrigley.  :wink:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

First set is great fun. Lots of great songs and a good warm up. On set two now...

zimbra

Hey, I'm just glad I have fresh Phish shows to listen to at work!
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 23, 2016, 08:00:07 AM
First set is great fun. Lots of great songs and a good warm up. On set two now...

Solid set two as far as first sets go.

Overall I'd say this is a good tour opener. They played a lotta songs but they were good songs for the most part and well executed. Jamming was pretty much absent but I have to think that the result of the way they sounded tonight is confidence going into Chicago. I expect some stuff is in store for folks there.

PIE-GUY

So, watching those vids I think I like the LED screens up in the rig. not so much behind the band down at stage level.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

emay

ehhh

not a big fan, way too bright. Looks like 20 tvs just hanging behind the band, ones behind the band are worse.

Igbo

Not sure how i feel about the LEDs from those videos, but I think I'm agreeing with Scottie that they don't seem really in sync with the lights. Different colors, pace, etc.

Although, like Frank Costanza I find tinsel distracting.

sunrisevt

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sophist

Some of you guys just need to go back to watching everybody loves Raymond reruns, and guarding your lawn so closely.  It's different, and that's the point.  It would just be nostalgia if everything was always the same.  I think it just needs some tweaking and a little time to fine tune some of the nuances of it. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

emay

lol!

Once they really get it synced it up with the normal lights I think it will be little better, but the videos I saw its like they are operating independently which just clashes.

Anyways, wolfmans jam is pretty good, they kinda fumble at the end but recover quickly.

They sound very excited to be on tour which makes me hopeful for this summer!

Hicks

Definitely won't judge the new lighting rig until I see it in person, but I trust Scotty's opinion on these things. 

As for the music, I thought it was a great tour opener and I'm excited to see what develops throughout the rest of the shows. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mopper_smurf

I like the Simple > I Found A Reason thingy quite a lot. Super mellow and it works.
Just crisp audio for me, so I 'll refrain from bashing the LEDs.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy