Author Topic: Greta Van Fleet!!!!  (Read 910 times)

Offline mistercharlie

• Gave the Book to the Library
  • Gamehendge
  • Moth Kings Hair
Re: Greta Van Fleet!!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2018, 08:31:02 PM »
Mr. C, I don't mean to diminish your view on these guys. I'm sure there are plenty of bands I've gone to see that most here would laugh at (cough - Jack Johnson). I just think there is a lot of hype for basically a recycled product. Maybe in 5 - 10 years, I'll be eating my words and you will have gotten in on the ground floor.

No, I totally understand people not liking them (and don't worry I've seen Jack Johnson live once too). I'm just happy that there is a young band making this kind of music again. I have been waiting for the return of real Rock and Roll and I think these kids are beginning to herald it in.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 
Mister Charlie told you so.

Offline Hicks

• IKKULUS
  • Gamehendge
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2018, 08:38:04 PM »
I donít know man these days the whole retro thing has been done to death and if youíre going to do a callback thing then you have to at least put your own spin on it. Iíd argue The Black Crowes that did from the start and even if they did kinda bite The Stones and Faces, they were very much going against the grain of the hair metal bands that were everywhere in the pre-Nirvana music scene. 

I mean weíve already had Jet, Wolfmother and Kings of Leon all serving up boring classic rock retreads fairly recently, do we really need more?

Maybe in 5 - 10 years, I'll be eating my words and you will have gotten in on the ground floor.

So youíre saying: 

Listen to GVF in 2018
? ? ?
Retire a millionaire? 

Hmmm maybe I need to rethink things. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Online VA $l!m

• INSPIRED THE F-in' BOOK
  • Lot Security
  • Gamehendge
  • Real Outcasty
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2018, 08:58:59 PM »
Since we're talking redheads and bands that got called out for biting Zeppelin...  :rawk:

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Offline barnesy305

• Wrote the Book
  • Test me, test me, why don't you arrest me?
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2018, 11:25:04 PM »
I think my problem with this band is that they donít seem to take the music they love and progress it forward. Unlike, in my opinion, people like Ty Segall, and others, who wear their influences on their sleeves while expanding on the sounds and taking them forward into something new and fresh.

Offline mistercharlie

• Gave the Book to the Library
  • Gamehendge
  • Moth Kings Hair
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2018, 05:43:56 AM »
I think my problem with this band is that they donít seem to take the music they love and progress it forward. Unlike, in my opinion, people like Ty Segall, and others, who wear their influences on their sleeves while expanding on the sounds and taking them forward into something new and fresh.

Speaking of Ty... Fudge Sandwich comes out today, where he covers all his influences! I can't wait to hear his St. Stephen!!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 
Mister Charlie told you so.

Offline mopper_smurf

• In the Band
  • Faceplant into chair
    • Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2018, 06:21:59 AM »
My eldest had some friends over yesterday. One of them mentioned GVF and he got a thumbs down from the entire gang for mentioning them.  Mind you, these kids are 16 and 17 and into rock big time. Wolfmother was mentioned and those Aussies did add something to classic rock. Too bad it all turned to shit after their fist album

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | InstagramVimeo

Did you hear that, Trey? He's getting annoyed. Enough with the effects already.

Offline Buffalo Budd

• Gamehendge
  • 'Looking for owls?' the young man asked.
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2018, 07:30:40 AM »

Maybe in 5 - 10 years, I'll be eating my words and you will have gotten in on the ground floor.

So youíre saying: 

Listen to GVF in 2018
? ? ?
Retire a millionaire? 

Hmmm maybe I need to rethink things.

:laugh:

Maybe that wasn't the proper analogy. I meant to liken it to those who get turned on to a band early on and get their jaded vet card.
Instead of having to plan and save for your next vacation, why not work on creating a life you don't feel the need to escape from...

I suspect putin and trump have something to do with this
that's great. people are stupid.
My records are my media for music.

[quo

Offline westcider

• Sharing In The Groove
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2018, 03:18:29 PM »
staying in Mr. Crowley's house is a totally Jimmy Page thing to do, too