Author Topic: Last Show Attended?  (Read 140103 times)

Offline Hicks

• IKKULUS
  • Gamehendge
Re: Last Show Attended?
« Reply #3120 on: February 04, 2019, 07:21:57 PM »
Hicks and I made a last minute decision to hit Phil and Family Band last night.  Beers were had.  It was a decent show.  I bailed halfway through.  There were some good parts and some not as good parts but always good to see Phil and always good to hang with the Hickster.  :syf:

I just can't bring myself to shell out the $$$ to see Phil and Family again. Once was enough.

At least with Phil & Friends you get a decent line up - McLaughlin, Herring, Molo, Jackie Greene, or the likes. JRAD started as basically a P&F spin off..

Marcus King Band friday night....so good. The kid can shred, but he also took me places the way Derek Trucks does...and his band is super tight as well, all talented musicians. Check him while you can on these smaller stages, cause he's going to be around for a long time and playing bigger and bigger venues.

Saw him for the first time last year with As the Crow Flies. Kid has chops, and definitely has a long career ahead of him.

Yeah, that's why we made a last minute decision and put a $50 cap on what we were willing to spend.  Some of it was good, I mean, it is Pbil after all, but for the most part it's pretty watered down and as far as other tribute type bands, Family band is toward the bottom of my list.  Last time I saw Phil it was underwhelming as well which is sad to say, but I mean, the guy is pushing 80 so....

I dunno man, I thought the last Crystal show we saw was way better than this one. But that's probably because that time they had Krasno and this time they had the kid from Grateful Shred, so yeah, kind of a big difference there.  They closed the set with Saturday Night and it felt like that pretty much summed it up. 

Anyway, I had fun, thanks again for meeting up with the ticket brah, but the show was kind of on the meh side of things. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Offline WhatstheUse?

• Gamehendge
  • "Dances with Dirty"
    • The Jauntee
« Reply #3121 on: February 04, 2019, 08:07:28 PM »
The family band is.... not great. Probably the weakest side project ever associated with his name.

It’s a tough one to swallow. I’m sure I’d want to tour around with my kid when I reached that age too... hard to fault the guy. But..... it’s got to be less fun for him musically too, right?
Phish makes me happy.  It's as simple as that.

Offline Caravan2001

• Gamehendge
« Reply #3122 on: February 04, 2019, 08:34:33 PM »
Hicks and I made a last minute decision to hit Phil and Family Band last night.  Beers were had.  It was a decent show.  I bailed halfway through.  There were some good parts and some not as good parts but always good to see Phil and always good to hang with the Hickster.  :syf:

I just can't bring myself to shell out the $$$ to see Phil and Family again. Once was enough.

At least with Phil & Friends you get a decent line up - McLaughlin, Herring, Molo, Jackie Greene, or the likes. JRAD started as basically a P&F spin off..

Marcus King Band friday night....so good. The kid can shred, but he also took me places the way Derek Trucks does...and his band is super tight as well, all talented musicians. Check him while you can on these smaller stages, cause he's going to be around for a long time and playing bigger and bigger venues.

Saw him for the first time last year with As the Crow Flies. Kid has chops, and definitely has a long career ahead of him.

Yeah, that's why we made a last minute decision and put a $50 cap on what we were willing to spend.  Some of it was good, I mean, it is Pbil after all, but for the most part it's pretty watered down and as far as other tribute type bands, Family band is toward the bottom of my list.  Last time I saw Phil it was underwhelming as well which is sad to say, but I mean, the guy is pushing 80 so....

I dunno man, I thought the last Crystal show we saw was way better than this one. But that's probably because that time they had Krasno and this time they had the kid from Grateful Shred, so yeah, kind of a big difference there.  They closed the set with Saturday Night and it felt like that pretty much summed it up. 

Anyway, I had fun, thanks again for meeting up with the ticket brah, but the show was kind of on the meh side of things.

Yeah, better all around setlist and better playing.  The Lovelight that night was pretty legit.

Offline Caravan2001

• Gamehendge
« Reply #3123 on: February 05, 2019, 02:10:54 PM »
Saw the Richard Thompson Trip last night.  He was awesome!  It was mix of older Fairport stuff and new songs.  He really is a master of the Stratocaster, but I think I might have been most impressed with the solo acoustic stuff.  Some of the fingerpicking was beyond.  The guy can shred for sure.

Offline PIE-GUY

• Gamehendge
  • Something's happening.
    • My Shows
« Reply #3124 on: February 06, 2019, 12:54:51 PM »

Literally happening in real time these days:

https://jambands.com/news/2019/02/06/the-capitol-theatre-moves-marcus-king-bands-garcias-show-to-main-stage

The Capitol Theatre Moves Marcus King Band’s Garcia’s Show to Main Stage

After selling out both of their upcoming shows at The Capitol Theatre’s Garcia’s bar in early March, The Marcus King Band have been moved to The Cap’s main theater stage for their performance on March 8.

The Port Chester, NY venue announced the switch today, marking the first time a Garcia’s show has been upgraded in this manner. Tickets to the show go on sale this Friday, Feb. 8, at noon EST, with a venue pre-sale beginning tomorrow, Feb. 7, from 10 a.m to 10 p.m. (previously purchased tickets to the Garcia’s show will be honored for the new location).

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Offline slslbs

• Gamehendge
  • Let there be songs to fill the air
    • music list
« Reply #3125 on: February 06, 2019, 02:51:01 PM »
Cool
They deserve it
So happy to catch them at the Sinclair in Cambridge when we did
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Offline gah

• Dans et hors du foyer, le temps tourne le temps, élastiques virages
  • Gamehendge
  • The circus is the place for me....
« Reply #3126 on: February 07, 2019, 10:31:41 AM »
Cool
They deserve it
So happy to catch them at the Sinclair in Cambridge when we did

Absolutely they do.

Good for them for getting that upgrade at the Cap.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Offline shoreline99

• In the Band
  • shocked and persuaded my soul to ignite
    • My List
« Reply #3127 on: February 19, 2019, 08:16:17 AM »
Saw St. Paul and the Broken Bones over the weekend. Good show, band has a lot of talent and the guy sure can sing, but uneven setlist and relatively short set for a headliner. Rocked the upbeat songs but their slow numbers draaaaaagged.
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Offline Caravan2001

• Gamehendge
« Reply #3128 on: April 03, 2019, 11:34:30 AM »
Went to Spiritualized on Monday with Hicks and BurmesePython.  Really good show, I was super impressed.  Sound was great music was excellent.  If you have a chance to see this tour, do it.

Offline Buffalo Budd

• Gamehendge
  • 'Looking for owls?' the young man asked.
« Reply #3129 on: April 03, 2019, 12:32:34 PM »
Spiritualized do not disappoint live, even though Spaceman usually sits in a chair not facing the audience. Never quite understood that.
At my age I probably couldn’t do better than that.

Offline Hicks

• IKKULUS
  • Gamehendge
« Reply #3130 on: April 03, 2019, 12:47:28 PM »
Spiritualized do not disappoint live, even though Spaceman usually sits in a chair not facing the audience. Never quite understood that.

Ha, yep, that was indeed what he did. 

Nine piece band though, and yeah sound was on point in a venue known for having dodgy acoustics as the stage is in a corner of all places.

Stoked to have finally seen him, played the new record all the way through and it gave me a new appreciation for it.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Offline Buffalo Budd

• Gamehendge
  • 'Looking for owls?' the young man asked.
« Reply #3131 on: April 03, 2019, 01:44:00 PM »
The new album is pretty sick, would love to hear it live.
At my age I probably couldn’t do better than that.