News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What to call this reunion?

Started by jedifunk, October 01, 2008, 05:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blatboom

Honestly, I thought when he said he can't believe that he said he didn't want to spend the rest of his life playing YEM spoke volumes about where he was then and now.

Hicks

Quote from: redrum on October 02, 2008, 03:00:39 PM
Quote from: Hicks on October 02, 2008, 12:55:40 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on October 02, 2008, 12:48:25 PM
Quote from: Rich on October 02, 2008, 12:42:32 PM
Hmmm...  what if they all decided to remain solo artists and Phish became their side project?

That's kind of what I expect of this, frankly.
Quote from: Hicks on October 02, 2008, 12:47:14 PM
Quote from: gimmetela on October 02, 2008, 12:37:27 PM
Quote from: Hicks on October 02, 2008, 12:29:24 PM

I'm not saying he needs to apologize or anything, just a little insight as to how the decision to come back was made and how things are going to be different this time around.

I mean if Trey calls it quits in '11 again do I have a right to be angry then?

angry that your favorite band quit again?  sure.  angry because 4 individuals decided to do something different?  i don't think so.  my point is these men do us a service by putting themselves out there musically, personally.  They miss times with their friends and family to play for us.  If they decide that they don't want to anymore then so be it.  it'll suck.  yes.  i'll miss going to shows. yes.  i'll wish that i had gone to more shows. yes.  but in the end it's out of my hands.

if it turns out that touring is too much of a temptation for trey, or begins to cause harm to their families, friends, personal lives, then i would want them to quit.  why should we expect them to martyr themselves for us?  how selfish is that?

I don't expect them to martyr themselves, that's why I am curious to know how they plan on addressing the things that broke up the band last time around. 

I do think the band should respect or acknowledge that a lot of people are very dedicated to them and when they come back it will impact people's lives.  For better or for worse Phish is more than "just a band" as we all know.  I mean I would suspect I am not the only guy in his 30s who had a rather terse discussion with his wife yesterday about where my priorities should be now that I am older. 

I really don't think it's selfish to think that a statement would be nice in exchange for my continued support of the band and whatever future decisions they should decide to make.  If they let us in on their current thought process, should they end up breaking up again at least we all can have some more perspective on how that came about. 

I don't think you are being selfiish.
Perhaps they intend to say something.. Perhaps they intend to let the music speak for itself.

I'd expect some interviews in the coming months.

werd, I just hope it's sooner rather than later the longer it goes unaddressed the weirder this will feel to me.

hicks, if robert plant wants to stay home and not tour he can.
if trey wants to go out and tour he can't, without an explanation?

personally, i don't even really want them to address it.
although, i think they will in the end.
you might feel like that cuz phish has been a band that explains almost their every move.

if trey's health is in danger, they'll pull the plug.
all we need to know is just that.
they know health & family is more important than music.

:? Dude, Robert Plant just did exactly what I'm asking for, he addressed rumors by issuing a statement on his website.  Not only did he say no to the reunion but he made sure we all knew that he was responsible for pulling the plug.  That took balls.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Ri©h

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 02, 2008, 01:04:32 PM
I mean I would suspect I am not the only guy in his 30s who had a rather terse discussion with his wife yesterday about where my priorities should be now that I am older. 

I haven't had that talk yet... I aim to avoid it.

Don't avoid it bro.  If you have a good relationship with your woman she'll understand.  I told the Mrs. about Phish today and the first words out of her mouth we're "so when ya going?"  :)

I'm 38.  I have a deep passion for live music that has been with me for 20+ years now.  Ashley knew when she married me that I was a music freak and she's just fine with me going to a few shows here and there.  Touring?  No, that's where I have to draw the line.  I can't just take off and follow the band now... too many responsibilities.

You know what I mean.  :-D

VA $l!m

Quote from: MiamiPhish on October 02, 2008, 02:11:51 PM
Quote from: Short Round on October 02, 2008, 02:03:16 PM
I already had "the talk" with Stephani. If any of my requests hit for Friday I'm in. I would need to be able to see Sat and Sun if I couldn't do Friday. There are a lot of in and outs at this point, and even more what have yous. The real discussion begins if I catch a miracle via one of my requests...

I know my odds are at about 0.5% so no sense in getting too worked up yet...however, I may be enticed by a brokered ticket if it stays under $300. We'll see...
buy now on ebay for $225

i'm considering how much i'll spend. right now $300 is about my limit for the first nite, and probably alot less for the second and third. though if summer or even spring dates get announced i'll probably reel the amount i'm willing to spend way back. the only reason i'll drop alot of cash for these shows is the fact that now that it is officially ON i dont want to wait until JUNE!! i'd gladly pay $500 total for three shows if they are the only shows for the next 8 months.

BTW, how reliable are the brokers on EBAY?
do people ever get screwed over with fakes or scams?
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

Quote from: Rich on October 02, 2008, 04:04:05 PM
I mean I would suspect I am not the only guy in his 30s who had a rather terse discussion with his wife yesterday about where my priorities should be now that I am older. 

Don't avoid it bro.  If you have a good relationship with your woman she'll understand.  I told the Mrs. about Phish today and the first words out of her mouth we're "so when ya going?"  :)

I'm 38.  I have a deep passion for live music that has been with me for 20+ years now.  Ashley knew when she married me that I was a music freak and she's just fine with me going to a few shows here and there.  Touring?  No, that's where I have to draw the line.  I can't just take off and follow the band now... too many responsibilities.

Dude, I've been at this a while. When I have tickets, we'll have something to discuss.

My wife knows what's up and she may well be with me for one or all of the shows.

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 02, 2008, 08:03:03 PM

Dude, I've been at this a while. When I have tickets, we'll have something to discuss.

My wife knows what's up and she may well be with me for one or all of the shows.

if she "disappears"... can i have her ticket?  :-D :roll:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

Quote from: VA slim on October 02, 2008, 10:33:15 PM

if she "disappears"... can i have her ticket?  :-D :roll:

Aren't you my brother from another mother?
:-D

thechad

I knew before I even said anything to her.  But I played it off like I was already booking hotel rooms, then said that I knew I couldn't go.  The look of relief on her face was a bit disheartening.

"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

Ri©h

Got ya.  I thought maybe the Mrs. would have reservations about it.  Hard to know what's serious and what isn't over the internets.

Sounds like you're dong just fine.  :-D

alcoholandcoffeebeans

im down with calling it Phish, as well.

i was home when i found out.
the boy went home with me to attend the "junk jam" we started up last year.
i was kinda half awake when i heard a knock at my room door.... he busts in and sits the laptop down on my bed.
"are you up?!?! watch this!!!" he says and walks out. i think he was WAAAY too overwhelmed.... pacing the hall and whatnot :)

i about peed the bed.... shook my sister awake and hunted for my purse.
i think i twisted his arm to get in to agree for all three nights :P

fingers-crossed we get tickets.

as far as expecting an explanation, it'll happen in due time. i think maybe the music might speak for itself; maybe not.
i think he'll say what he feels needs to be said when the time is right.
interviews in the months to come may have that in store for us....
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫