News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

First Song at Hampton

Started by cactusfan, October 01, 2008, 06:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellis Dee

back on the train or undermind (soundchecked at last hampton show,it was supposed to be played)

whyweigh5.0

I sorta got the feeling they will do a Chalkdust to start.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

Gumbo72203

Quote from: McGrupp on October 02, 2008, 02:27:49 PM
New song. Please.

ill throw my money on this, even though I'm sure I'll be disappointed, unless its completely fucking SICK.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Bobafett

Alaska * with new VP Sarah Palin on electrolux.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Short Round

All Things Reconsidered.

Not gonna happen, but, it is THE most appropriate Phish original that could be chosen, IMO.
No time for love Dr. Jones!

Phunkaddict

Neither of my two guesses have been mentioned yet, but Alaska is a good guess and is likely if it is indeed a new song.

Song I Heard the Ocean Sing - easy opener like Piper in 02, this is the one I'd bet on.

Glide - Played to perfection to instantly erase the memories of the breakup, followed by Curtain W/.
           -Fantasy pick
And The Light Is Growing Brighter Now

mopper_smurf

Quote from: Bobafett on October 02, 2008, 05:48:23 PM

Is she playing the Electrolux? Or playing with it?
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Ri©h

PYITE or a metal version of Ha Ha Ha.

danje

2001 sounds like the best guess so far. Lights off til the beat hits. So epic.

Mr Minor

AC/DC- For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Bobafett

Quote from: mopper_smurf on October 03, 2008, 10:30:23 AM
Quote from: Bobafett on October 02, 2008, 05:48:23 PM

Is she playing the Electrolux? Or playing with it?

no...she's riding it.  untza untza
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

redrum

Mr. Miner's got some interesting thoughts on this.

1. You Enjoy Myself:  The magnificent song that has long defined the band is one obvious choice for the opener; getting back to where it all began right off the bat.  YEM has always been Phish's quintessential song, merging precise composition, loose improvisation, and silly lyrics.  Earlier this summer, Trey said he would give his left nut to play YEM five times in a row every day until he dies; odds are they will only play it once.  A YEM opener would signify the enthusiasm of the band to return to their glory, and would get Hampton bumping in no time.  Usually reserved for the end of a set, YEM would be the perfect reentry into Phish's kingdom.  If I were a Vegas odds maker, YEM would be the favorite to open up the next chapter of our lives.

2. Down With Disease: We all know how much the band loves this song, and how they love to play it in big situations (NYEs, Cypress, etc).  There has never been a Phish situation bigger than the one at hand, and Disease is a strong candidate for first song out of the gates.  Lyrically symbolic of leaving their troubled times behind them, Phish will "be on their way" to becoming the dominant musical force they once were, and the inspiration for so many adoring fans again.  The lyrics, "Trying to stop these demons that keep dancing in my head," delivers the message of redemption and a focus on the future and not the past.  The future is what this is all about after all- letting the past be over and moving forward, together.

3. Chalkdust Torture: One of the most often played songs in the band's career, and a clear favorite of Trey's, this song could be used to open the run and whip the crowd into an immediate frenzy.  A common set opener, this is another likely candidate.  Lyrically fitting, the reprise of, "Can't I live while I'm young?" still has profound meaning for Phish and their aging fan base, and it would be a poignant message to deliver right away.  If the band wants to start back with some straight rock and roll, you can be sure that Chalkdust will be leading off.

4. Tube: If Phish wants to use Pulp Fiction's technique of giving us an adrenaline shot directly to the heart, they will choose Tube.  Can you imagine if the lights went out, they stepped on stage, and an asteroid crashed?!  The place might just pop- the energy this would produce is straight up, unfathomable.  This would be the opener in a crazy dream you might have, but it could happen, this is Hampton after all.

5. Punch You In the Eye / Wilson:  Either Punch or Wilson would serve as a rowdy Gamhendge supercharge, right from the get go.  Both of these songs would bring forth amazing energy and get the crowd re-situated in Phishland very quickly.  While both are classic openers of the band's past, I feel these songs won't start off the show, as they are relics of their college days, and the band is simply not there any more.  Nothing too improvised, these songs would, nonetheless, get Hampton sweating and bouncing in no time at all.

6. Mike's:  If Phish were to come out to the opening licks of Mike's- forget about it.  We would witness the immediate implosion of the venue and surrounding Hampton area.  This would be the ultimate statement that "We are back, and we mean business."  Hampton Mike's Songs are a staple of Phish's past, and this would be the perfect time to drop the sixth one ever.  Imagine three minutes into Phish 3.0 cannonballing into a militant Mike's jam!?  Whew- just the thought of it makes my heart pound faster.  A Mike's would catapult us back into the thick of things with little time to mentally or physically warm up for the madness.  This would be my dream- a Hampton Mike's straight away- that would be incredibly powerful.

7. Get Back On the Train: If this song were selected, it would obviously be a lyrical choice that would reflect the band's personal battles they have overcome to reach the stage together once again.  Although the lyrics fit the situation, this would be an incredibly underwhelming choice for an opener.  An average song at best, this one wouldn't have the same musical effect as previous choices.  But who knows, Phish could open with this and drop right into YEM, something not so far fetched.  Although there would be legitimate meaning here, I think the opener will be a bit bigger.

8. Undermind: This song, the title track of Phish's last album, was never played in 2004.  Only played by Trey's solo band a couple of times, this song would be a perfect musical and lyrical fit to open up the rest of time.

Relocated, not retired
Reprimanded and rewired

Mystified and mishapen
Misinformed, but not mistaken

Reinvented, redefined
Rearranged, but not refined

These spot on lyrics, infectious melodies, and chunky grooves could be the perfect opener.  Familiar, yet never played, it would represent Phish bridging their past with a new sure-to-be crowd favorite.  This could be the perfect way to kick things off- with a new jam we have never heard.

9. The Curtain (With): This would seem like the natural choice to start out with since they closed Coventry with an absolute trainwreck of their hallowed classic.  Beginning in the wrong key, the band had to stop and take it from the top on their last song ever played.  It was sad.  But now there is a chance to right the wrong of Coventry, and they could very well choose to symmetrically open up their next chapter by nailing the gorgeous composition leading into an uplifting jam.  It would give a nod to the fact that Coventry was not the way it was supposed to end, and that Phish is back to do things the right way again.  Used as a launching pad into a larger jam vehicle, they could use a Curtain > YEM combo to open the show in incredibly Phishy fashion.  Curtain could also be paired with a lot of other songs to kick off the show.

10. A New Song: It is very possible, since Phish will evolve into a different band than before, and with all the new material Trey and Tom have been writing, that the band will come out to something we've never heard before- ignoring the obvious choices of their classic jam vehicles.  It would be a very Phishy move to welcome people to the future with a song that nobody has heard.  It would send the message, "We are back, don't expect us to be the same."  Matured with a greater perspective, the band could come out and drop something brand new- a proposition I, personally, find very inviting.  Phish will be different, that is for sure; so we might as well start off on a new foot.  While I, personally, think "Backwards Down the Number Line," will open up a second set during the three night run, it could be what they come out of the gates with.  Again, it all depends on where the band is coming from at this point in their lives.

The first notes that emanate from the stage at Hampton will spark joy and jubilation in the Coliseum, and it could take so many different routes.  These are merely some of the possibilities I have conjured up, and I am sure there are more legitimate guesses out there.  They could always open up with Runaway Jim, like most every other show in history- who knows?  What do you think?  One of these?  Something different?

http://phishthoughts.com/2008/10/03/where-to-begin/
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

antelope19

We all laughed about gumbo's head exploding with the announcement, but have you ever seen multiple heads exploding simultaneously?  That's to be expected if the boys come out and drop tube on our asses.  I think it would literally tear the roof off the sucka. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Gumbo72203

Quote from: antelope19 on October 03, 2008, 02:29:16 PM
We all laughed about gumbo's head exploding with the announcement, but have you ever seen multiple heads exploding simultaneously?  That's to be expected if the boys come out and drop tube on our asses.  I think it would literally tear the roof off the sucka. 

Breaking news:   PHISH Reunites, zero survivors
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Ri©h

I think if Tube is the opener you'll have people exploding in their pants.  :-D