News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R5/W07: 11-25-1994 UIC Pavilion, Chicago, IL

Started by Mr Minor, October 18, 2008, 04:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Minor

I thought I would put this up today since I won't be around tomorrow.  That way I am covered for Monday.  Enjoy!

:phish:

Lossless:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=507355

Lossy:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/1uugnx

Phish
11-25-94 : UIC Pavilion - Chicago, IL

Source: AKG480 > DAT
Transferred: Sony R500 > AES/EBU > ZA2 > CoolEdit > SHN

Set I:
1. Llama
2. Guelah Papyrus
3. Reba
4. Bouncing Around the Room
5. Split Open and Melt
6. Esther
7. Julius
8. Golgi Apparatus

Set II:
1. 2001>
2. Mike's Song>
3. Simple>
4. Harpua>
5. Weekapaug Groove>
6. Mango Song>
7. Purple Rain>
8. HYHU
9. Run Like an Antelope

Encore:
1. Good Times Bad Times

Submitted reviews

Khalpin
pnchundi
GBL
blatboom
ytowndan
Mr. Minor
August

pnchundi

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

susep

Quote from: Mr Minor on October 18, 2008, 04:17:19 PM

Set II:
1. 2001>
2. Mike's Song>
3. Simple>
4. Harpua>
5. Weekapaug Groove>
6. Mango Song>
7. Purple Rain>
8. HYHU
9. Run Like an Antelope

Encore:
1. Good Times Bad Times

great show overall but the jam out of Simple is esp. note worthy, very dark and dissonant but compelling.  Great pick!

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

susep

Quote from: GBL on October 20, 2008, 03:50:46 PM
Quote from: Hicks on October 20, 2008, 11:20:27 AM
94 is old school?

14 years later i suppose it is  :|

hmm. I would say anything pre-1990 is os but ikki may have a different criteria?

Hicks

Quote from: susep73 on October 20, 2008, 03:54:45 PM
Quote from: GBL on October 20, 2008, 03:50:46 PM
Quote from: Hicks on October 20, 2008, 11:20:27 AM
94 is old school?

14 years later i suppose it is  :|

hmm. I would say anything pre-1990 is os but ikki may have a different criteria?

I would probably go with 1991 as the last year that could really be considered "old school".  Maybe through 1992, but not 93 as their sound changed fairly dramatically that year, and definitely not 94, that's "modern" Phish for sure. 
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

pnchundi

no, 94 is def. not OS, but it counts for the "reviews" since we never do anything pre-92. 

khalpin

Llama: Heat to kick things off.  Trey's solo is full of effects, which sound pretty f'in awesome IMO.  Tells you right off the bat that this is gonna be a special show.

Guelah: Played well.

Reba: Love getting one of these early in the show.  Especially this one.  Definitely one of the great Rebas.  The composed section is about as close to perfect as you can get.  The jam section builds very nicely and then explodes around 10:00 with Trey just going nuts.  It's more fiery than most Rebas.  Trey holds a note around 11:00 and dips out of it nicely with the delay going.  Sounds really cool how he came out of it.  Then the jam gets glorious right before Fishman closes it out.  Awesome, awesome Reba.  About as good as it gets.  Had to go back and listen to it a second time.  I forgot how good it was.

Bouncing: Does it's thing

Split Open & Melt: Picking the energy level right back up.  The tempo is a bit slower than usual.  As it starts to get a head of steam, the bottom drops out around 9:00.  Not quite sure why, but it seems to work as they gather a new head of steam and pick it right back up.  Finishes out nicely.

Esther: I'll always take one of these with a smile.  Quality Page here.

Julius: And the set continues with more energy.  I really like how this is going.  Great Trey solo with screaming from Fishman in the background.  Trey plays some real sweet phrases in there. 

Golgi: Set closer.

Very solid first set anchored by that majestic Reba.

2001: Non-exploratory but a good springboard.  (As a side note, I saw "Being There" this past weekend finally and was happy to hear the original Deodato version)  Anyway, this goes right into:

Mike's: Another great version.  Trey plays a riff ~4:00 that seems like a quote/tease but I can't put my finger on it.  Lots of mini-peaks in this one as it wastes no time getting hot and hectic.  For a while there, Fishman strikes every drum and cymbal on his kit every 5 seconds...octopus-boy.  Goes into:

Simple: Was hoping Mike's was going to last a while longer.  This is where Simple is a bit of a let down after what was preceding it.  At least the vocal section.  This comes out of that part nicely, once again with a ton of energy, which seems to be the theme to this show.  Then craziness ensues.  Kind of tough to describe other than just "Fall 94".  Typical out-there awesomeness for this tour.  Another reason I love this band so much.

Harpua: Went right into this one without missing a beat.  Thanksgiving narration and love beams.  I'm assuming this is the glowstick war.  Great to hear, as usual.  Always entertaining.  Right back into:

Week4paug: Seems to speed up right around 2 minutes in.  Simmers down ~3:30 and Page moves to the clav.  Starts to get a little funky.  Then a little crazy.  By 8:00 it's completely unmelodic and it just gets crazier from there, until Trey brings it back ~9:00. 

Mango: Can't say that I really like this late in the second set.  Your basic Mango.

Purple Rain: Henrietta ensues.

Antelope: More heat here.  Trey is on fire in the beginning with some really sweet playing to spice this up.  This is a certified rager!  Totally intense.  Way to finish out the set.

Good Times, Bad Times: This seems a fitting end to the show.

This show is one of the many highlights from Nov '94 and there is virtually no dull moment to be found.  Great playing, great improv, great energy, great setlist.  A+ show.

G. Augusto

Lllama - Trey spaces ouy with his solo...

Guelah - A little messy during the Asse section. Trey is DEF having fun with his pedals this night.

Reba - Tight composed section with a solid jam. Nothing really sets it apart from killer versions, though.

Bouncing/Split - Pretty dark jam going on. More effects adds to the noisy jam. Raucous ending, too.

Esther - Played well.

Julius - Tit ripper! I *LUV* '95/'95 versions. Short and shragin'.

Golgi - Of the Apparatus variety.

2001 - Spacey intro by Trey.

Mike's - I really like this one. It's short, yet chaotic.

Simple - Trey rips some SER fire early in the jam. It doesn't take them very long to get out there, however. Like most "big" '94 jams, this one gets quite psychedelic and disjointed. It's cool that they stretched out on this, but it doesn't do much for me. Right into >>>

Harpua - Angry Beam of Vocal Hatred. It's Harpua.

Week - Pretty different version. Gets spacey (notice a theme?) with a slowed down ending. Unfinished.

Mango - Not a Mango fan, but played well.

Rain - I'm currently listening to Summer '93, so I'm currently sick of this tune.

Antelope - The set maker! Outrageous version. Straight heat throughout. Relentless, even.
Might be my highlight of the show.

GXBX - "I know what it means to be alone!"

Solid Fall '94 right here. Give it an A-
a

pnchundi

ive listened to this show two or three times now and i still dont understand it.  phucking good stuff start to finish.  A classic example of the band you "know" doing something that blows your mind.

llama- great heat to start things off and a good trey solo
guelah- off beat off kilter and on point
reba- I dont get this reba.  How come I have never heard this before? Did they play sections of it backwards? Pure insanity
bouncin- i need this one right now
split- oh no not again.  really really intense playing
esther- i like how the crowd misses the random note signal.   solid esther
julius- straight up fun.  barn burned down to a crisp
golgi- damn good

2001- a little short but really well done
mikes- dark and sticky
simple- wow.  THIS is what simple is supposed to be.  Love love the crazy jam they go into
harpua- a thanksgiving tale for the family.  beware the evil red beams of light
weekapaug- they messed with the ending and its really good
mango- i love mangoes!
purple rain/hyhu- at this point, its the only place to go. silly fishman
antelope- really rocking but is it a little short? I think i like this better as a set 1 closer

gtbt- rock solid

Wow.  This show is amazing from the very beginning notes of llama.  They did some crazy spaced out jamming especially in places that you dont expect it and it really works.  Solid A

ytowndan

Llama - Nice way to kick it off.  Trey's solo is pretty sweet.  I dig the effects. 

Guelah - Always a welcomed first set tune for me.  There was a couple flubs, but nothing that ruined it. 

Reba - Well played composed section.  The jam was really nice.  I really dug what Trey was doing around the 11 min mark. 

Bouncing - Cool down.

Melt - Very nice version.  Pretty chaotic, and ripping stuff coming from Trey. 

Ester - Solid version.  Pretty much nailed it. 

Julius - Rock star Trey!  Very energetic, just like it should be. 

Golgi - Standard version.  Appropriate placement. 

2001 - Good opener.  Short though.

Mike's - Too short for how good it was.  Great energy here!  They waste no time jumping right into the madness.  Around 5:30 they go into some really cool loop/effect tension, and keep it going for almost a whole min before it releases. 

Simple - I'm diggin it.  Starts off as usual, but gets pretty out there pretty quick.  By the 8 or 9 min mark it's completely out of it's shell.  Psychedelic is one of many words that can descripe this jam. 

Harpua - Cool Thanksgiving narration.  First glow stick war! 

Weekapaug - Solid version.  Starts off with the usual vibe, then gets a bit funky with Page hammering on the clav.  It gets a bit out there for a while until they all come together around 8:45 or so.  It slows down and melts into Mango nicely.

Mango - Love it!  A bit of a cool down. Played well. 

Purple Rain - I'm sure Fish's vacuum solo would make Prince cry a single tear of joy.

Antelope - Total H33T!!!  Very intense.  Not a dull moment throughout the whole thing!

GTBT - Great way to close out the night! 

Excellent pick!  Solid A

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Hicks

I've never heard this one before, but we all know 11/94 is the heat and this show is no exception:

Llama:  Raging out the gates.  Trey gets all freaky with the pedals. Toight.

Guelah:  Not perfect, but a sweet addition to any first set.

Reba: hells to the yeah.  Composed section is 94 goodness.  Really nice Mike when Trey drops out at the beginning of the jam, then Trey takes over and it's butter with lots of feeling packed into it.  I also liked the sustained note with dive bomb effect at 11 minutes that khalpin mentioned.  Werd.

Bouncing: Can't really complain about it between Reba and Split in the first set.

Split: Gets super dark/evil when Trey busts out the effects again.  Page does a good job of holding things together while Trey goes nutso and he keeps things from completely flying out the window when the jam kinda breaks down while Trey continues his effects freak out.  This is the action right here, set highlight. 

Ester:  Gotta love it, perfection. 

Julius:  Was best in 94, confirmed.  Sweet little shredder, gotta love the Fishman holler.  Kinda felt like the set closer but then we got a bonus. . .

Golgi: little unusual pause in there, micro silent jam?

All in all a perfect first set for me anchored by a solid Reba, off the chain Split and the always welcome Ester.  I give this bad boy an A+

2001:  Cool death ray and other effects bizarreness from Trey at the beginning.  A little sloppy with the feedback and segue, but whateves.

Mike's: Standard hottness until Trey gets all dissonant with his two note effects jam, I actually like a short but sweet Mike's like this.  Gets really intense/fiery and then slams into. . .

Simple:  I suppose this is the second time they jammed this one out after 11/16, no?  I think 11/16 is more mulit-faceted and interesting, but this is cool too.  It's kinda got that aimless quality at the beginning that a lot of the second tier big 94 jams have, but by the 9 and a half minute mark it's developed a bit more and kind of reminded me of the lassie jam from the 12/29 Bowie.  Overall an enjoyable listen, with some clav by Page at the end. 

Harpua:  My wife on the oompa intro:  "What the fuck is that?"   :lol: 

Lolz at "love beam".  Double lolz at the guy who says "BO-RING" during the story. 

Weekapaug:  Gets a little out there, but not as insane as it could have within the context of this night, but still a fun version.  Nice staccato riffing at the end and decent segue into . . .

Mango:  Still a fan of this one and the Page action it brings, well played with Trey featuring the silky tone.

Purple Rain:  "It's time we reach out for the new, that means you too."

Antelope:  Gets really cooking at the peak, with pretty much all four of them going cah-razy.  Especially loose rye rye rocco segment with Fishman playing double time and supplying some shrieks while Trey gets one last chance to throw in some more effects wackiness.  Perfect set caper. 

GTBT:  Always a great encore choice, tight fills from Fish.   

Overall a more than solid Fall 94, the first set did exceed my expectations a bit more than the second, but the second set had some definite highlights in Simple and Antelope too.  I give set II an A- to give the show an enthusiastic A.  Awesome pick, thanks for the exposure to another off the hook 94 show!

blatboom

Set I:

Llama - high energy in the opener, Trey rips the shit out of his solo..

Guelah - I like Guelahs...a little off at times

Reba - holy tightness!  love Fish right here.  jam has a dark feel when it starts out..then some big chords really liven it up followed by some soaring guitar

Bouncing - I'm cool with it

Split - time to stretch...I love the progression of Split jams, from the beginning as they gradually leave the main theme to the middle when things really get nuts, to bringing it all back at the end.  This one almost breaks down, but like always they manage to make it work in their favor.

Esther - this should also be tight... yeah, they nailed this one hands down.  She died.

Julius - somewhere along the way, I became a fan of this song.  Rocked out

Golgi - double closer ends the set on a high note

Set II:

2001 - one of many.  Short and sweet..I wonder if tour heads tired of this one?

>Mike's Song - Trey lays off for a second when the jam starts.  sort of a frenetic feel to this.  couple trippy sections, shortish jam..

>Simple - a match made in heaven.  there's a little verse confusion...they lock into some sick distorted sounding jam before it mellows out but it still has a hard edge to it, scary stuff too...best thing played thus far...sounded like it really could have taken off, but instead drops into

>Harpua - killer how this starts out, like an extension of the previous jam.  a Thanksgiving rap..man I wish I coulda seen the Green Love-beams.

Week4paug - back to reality.  all sorts of sick stuff in this one. Luv it.  crazy slowed down ending leads nicely into

>Mango Song - I'm really feeling these.  hot stuff in '94.

>Purple Rain>HYHU - good for the crowd.  Fish plays some soaring vacuum.

Antelope - killer set closer.  this one rips from the get-go all the way through.  loved the Rye Rye Rocco!  perfect way to end it all.

Encore:

GTBT - they kill this every time.  it's a great song for this sort of thing.  Unreal how much this rocks.

Wow.. I think I like this show even more than I liked the '95 pick from last week.  First set was solid with a quality Reba, but 2nd set had the most highlights--Simple>Harpua>Weekapaug and that Antelope closer are where it's at.  nice pick MM!  easy A.

Mr Minor

I love this show.  It was my first Phish show and my first experience with mind-altering substances.  Quite the combo...

Set I
Llama- bringing the heat right outta the gates.  Trey doing some crazy out there shit during his solo
Guelah- fun and funky.  Still keeping the energy going
Reba- imo, one of the best I have heard, live or on tape.  Jam has that sweet quiet, dark, stanky feeling that soars with the building to the end.
Bouncing- and we go Around the Room.
Split- great jam.  At one point the lights, LSD, and jam made me feel like I was underwater.  Intensity and the h33t!
Esther- perfection.  Trey was on fire, Page sounded tight.  Love it
Julius- I have to agree with the others that this was the year for tight Julius jams.  They were on point and ripping it
Golgi- fun closer to send you into the set break.

Set II
2001- short, to the point, and nice, right into>
Mike's- another short version, but we get this feeling of evil crazy jams coming soon.
Simple-short again, but damn that jam is sweet.  I like the evilness and wild feeling that occurs and when you think it's going to take off into space, it drops perfectly into>
Harpua- glowstick war to go along with love beams and hate beams.  Fun interaction with the crowd.  Talk about viz...
Week4paug- nice jam, gets going a bit but again, sort of short and keeps the craziness going.  Slows it down for>
Mango- love this song.  Well played.  Good version.  Leads into the ever fun>
Purple Rain>HYHU- Fish was on.  Singing his heart out.  What a sweet set! 
Antelope- ends with the H33T!  Ripping it up throughout the whole thing.  Great set closer.  Energy was high.

E: GTBT-  good encore.  Keeps the energy and feeling going. 

Great show.  Great jams.  Great craziness.  Love it from start to finish.  Highlight of fall/winter 94 shows for me.
A+.